PDC Darts

Exactly what it says on the tin...
Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 13 Jan 2009, 01:38

Alftupper,

The worry for me is that the BDO will in effect become the BADO and run the amateur version of the game from the grass roots up to a professional standard. It now struggles to get a major independent sponsor of its world event and relies on the Lakeside Club itself for such.

As for comparing players, there is siomply no comparison. The 3 dart average in the first stages of the PDC was far better than that of the finalists in the BDO and the BDO finishing was on a par with mine.

Yes, the PDC get the cream of players but it's the choice of the players to do so. Not only is the lure of better prize money a strong attraction but the opportunity to play in the Premier League on a weekly basis and therefore improve your game is far superior to anything the BDO can manage.

The organisors of the BDO have been very selfish over the years and need to realise they need the players to make their sport great. Their failure so far has let Barry Hearn take control of the cream and that should never be viewed as a positive step. Once he gets control of the professional game completely, the cream will end up on his breakfast cereals, mark my word.

By the way Alf, do you play for a local side and if so who?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Wicksy
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Wicksy » 13 Jan 2009, 02:04

Flat Capper wrote:Alftupper,

The worry for me is that the BDO will in effect become the BADO and run the amateur version of the game from the grass roots up to a professional standard. It now struggles to get a major independent sponsor of its world event and relies on the Lakeside Club itself for such.

As for comparing players, there is siomply no comparison. The 3 dart average in the first stages of the PDC was far better than that of the finalists in the BDO and the BDO finishing was on a par with mine.

Yes, the PDC get the cream of players but it's the choice of the players to do so. Not only is the lure of better prize money a strong attraction but the opportunity to play in the Premier League on a weekly basis and therefore improve your game is far superior to anything the BDO can manage.

The organisors of the BDO have been very selfish over the years and need to realise they need the players to make their sport great. Their failure so far has let Barry Hearn take control of the cream and that should never be viewed as a positive step. Once he gets control of the professional game completely, the cream will end up on his breakfast cereals, mark my word.
You are spot on FC, there are one or two in the BDO that could give most of the PDC players a run for there money, but overall the PDC could well be the down-fall of darts . The Codes have to be brought together in someway and open up a level playing field . I doubt Sky money will be there forever, and with the down-turn more household's will cancel sports, which hopefully will lead to the codes becoming closer . Without a doubt both codes need to get rid of there charges . For me darts is a sport that may well vanish from our shore, a pub game by tradition no pubs no tradition .

Maybe they don't want to stand down because they want to rectify the mistakes they've made in seasons gone by.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 13 Jan 2009, 21:23

Flat Capper wrote:The organisors of the BDO have been very selfish over the years and need to realise they need the players to make their sport great.
Totally agree there FC.

You can argue the top 32 players who formed the PDC were being selfish, but what's selfish about wanting to protect your income?

At the time maybe the BDO ought to swallowed its pride and admitted they needed to look elsewhere for sponsorship, TV revenue etc. Sadly they didn't and even more sadly they decided to restrict these exiled players from earning a living.

Will we ever see a united World Champs? No. Is the Lakeside still viewed as the real World Champs? Well, yes by some. Has becoming a Lakeside champion against far fewer 'world class' players devalued the title? I'd say yes.
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 13 Jan 2009, 22:19

Flat Capper wrote:Alftupper,

By the way Alf, do you play for a local side and if so who?
I'm not good enough FC but maybe when the legs and lungs go I'll have more time to practice.

It's interesting to see the comments about the 3 dart average comparisons. If you take out Phil Taylor who is streets ahead of anybody the two bodies are about the same. Yes this years PDC final had excellent averages but last year their final average was less than the BDO equivalent. Do not believe the hysterical hype of Sid Waddell et al who's job it is to sell more Sky subscriptions through their commentary. How many times do Eddy and Stevo tell us Super League is now on an equal footing with the NRL!? They will be at it again in a couple of months time in spite of the opposite being the case. I think it must be written into their contracts.

To say the BDO players cannot compete with their PDC counterparts is also wrong. At the recent Grand Slam of Darts of the 8 quarter finalists 4 were from the BDO.

There are also some questions about the Unicorn board offering a bigger treble and double target than the BDO's Winmau which must be taken into account when making comparisons between the two bodies.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 14 Jan 2009, 01:29

alftupper wrote: I'm not good enough FC but maybe when the legs and lungs go I'll have more time to practice.

It's interesting to see the comments about the 3 dart average comparisons. If you take out Phil Taylor who is streets ahead of anybody the two bodies are about the same. Yes this years PDC final had excellent averages but last year their final average was less than the BDO equivalent. Do not believe the hysterical hype of Sid Waddell et al who's job it is to sell more Sky subscriptions through their commentary. How many times do Eddy and Stevo tell us Super League is now on an equal footing with the NRL!? They will be at it again in a couple of months time in spite of the opposite being the case. I think it must be written into their contracts.

To say the BDO players cannot compete with their PDC counterparts is also wrong. At the recent Grand Slam of Darts of the 8 quarter finalists 4 were from the BDO.

There are also some questions about the Unicorn board offering a bigger treble and double target than the BDO's Winmau which must be taken into account when making comparisons between the two bodies.
Pitty you don't play Alf, I'd have kept an eye out just in case we could lock horns on the oche.

As for the facts, yes we all acknowledge The Power is better than anyone but van Barney's average over the PDC tournament was still superior to that of the BDO winner.

And who were in the final of the Grand Slam?

I'd say the top few of the BDO could compete in the PDC to the quarter final level with maybe one getting through to the semis but never will likes of Hankey, Fritton and Adams ever be god enough to win in the PDC untl they improve their finishing.

Oh, and I don't believe the hype of Sid Waddell although I do prefer his humour.

Amy
Championship Player
Championship Player
Twitter: AmyBecca88

Post by Amy » 03 Feb 2009, 14:15

Not sure if this should go in here or chit chat lol, but , did anyone see phil taylor on Corri last night? :lol:
~*~ Amy Loves Riley ~*~
CasForum's Happiest Couple
CasForum's Sexiest Female

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 03 Feb 2009, 18:25

Yes I did, none speaking role of course.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 03 Feb 2009, 21:41

Did nobody watch the players championship on ITV4 then?
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

Amy
Championship Player
Championship Player
Twitter: AmyBecca88

Post by Amy » 03 Feb 2009, 22:00

No, but will watch darts thursday night
~*~ Amy Loves Riley ~*~
CasForum's Happiest Couple
CasForum's Sexiest Female

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 03 Feb 2009, 23:41

Steadman_4_PM wrote:Did nobody watch the players championship on ITV4 then?
Bits and Bats
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

dj nelly
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Neil230467

DARTS

Post by dj nelly » 05 Apr 2009, 09:24

Stan James championship @ Winter Gardens Blackpool in July i cant wait brilliant as russ abbott would say " oh what an atmosphere" :dance: