Graphics card advice

General Chit-Chat is in here... New Members are invited to pop in and say hello!
TIGER DAZ

Graphics card advice

Post by TIGER DAZ » 16 Jun 2008, 23:20

I've just bought a new tower http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/produc ... cification and the graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB.

I've tried to play a few games like Fifa 08 and Tiger Woods 08, but the performance is sluggish and stuttered. I've changed the settings and checked for the latest driver, but no improvement at all.

Do i need to upgrade the card or should my current card be able to handle such games and i'm missing something obvious?

Also anybody know where i can get it upgraded and recommend a decent but not too expensive alternative card?

Cheers.

marshman
League One Player
League One Player

Post by marshman » 17 Jun 2008, 19:16

I'm not that up on that card, but it's pretty new. The thing to remember with most cards, whether Nvidia or ATI is that those numbers tell you a great deal about what the card is designed for. The first number, 3 in your case, usually represents the model range and when it was released. I have an ATI 2600xt. My card is older than yours, the number 2 gives this away. The next range would be the 4000 cards, if you get my drift. with Nvidia it's pretty similar with cards named, 5200, 6400, 7200, 8800, 9600 etc.

The next part is the most crucial if you want to play games. Cards that are labelled something like 7200, 8200 with Nvidia or 2400, 3400 with ATI are usually the lower end performers of that range of card. The cards labelled 7600 for Nvidia or 2600 with ATI will be mid range. The top would be 8800, or 3800.

You now have an idea how your card should perform roughly, but remember it's usually a rule that the newer cards will be better than the last. A 3450 will be better than a 2450 for example, but may not be better than a 2600 and won't be better than a 2800.

Hope you're still with me here mate. Anyway, that's a bit of a guide about what to look for.

Just checked the price of your card and you can buy it for under £30 so that tells me it's nothing special and isn't for games.

As for replacement cards, it depends on your cash. A top gaming card can be a couple hundred quid. You can buy say a ATI 3870 xt 512mb for £105 and that should play most new games. Cards of the 3600 (mid range) might be say £60, but you wouldn't get top performance. (mines a mid range card.) These examples are other ATI cards, there's also the Nvidia range which usually are a little more expensive. Top cards in this range are 7800, 8800 and 9800 and will come with lots of confusing letters randomly stuck on the name.

Have a look at say Ebuyer and see what you can get for your cash. Then just post back here with what you fancy and i'll have a look and see if it's any good. General rule, £20 is crap, £50 is still crap, £70 might be a decent mid range, £100 should be good and £150 v good card, £200 and more should be freaking awesome.

When you know how much you want to spend, then we can double check the card specs and see if we can get a bargain somewhere.

TIGER DAZ

Post by TIGER DAZ » 17 Jun 2008, 20:20

[quote="marshman"]I'm not that up on that card, but it's pretty new. The thing to remember with most cards, whether Nvidia or ATI is that those numbers tell you a great deal about what the card is designed for. The first number, 3 in your case, usually represents the model range and when it was released. I have an ATI 2600xt. My card is older than yours, the number 2 gives this away. The next range would be the 4000 cards, if you get my drift. with Nvidia it's pretty similar with cards named, 5200, 6400, 7200, 8800, 9600 etc.

The next part is the most crucial if you want to play games. Cards that are labelled something like 7200, 8200 with Nvidia or 2400, 3400 with ATI are usually the lower end performers of that range of card. The cards labelled 7600 for Nvidia or 2600 with ATI will be mid range. The top would be 8800, or 3800.

You now have an idea how your card should perform roughly, but remember it's usually a rule that the newer cards will be better than the last. A 3450 will be better than a 2450 for example, but may not be better than a 2600 and won't be better than a 2800.

Hope you're still with me here mate. Anyway, that's a bit of a guide about what to look for.

Just checked the price of your card and you can buy it for under

marshman
League One Player
League One Player

Post by marshman » 17 Jun 2008, 21:12

I bought a mid range £60 card a few months back similar to this. I played Crysis, one of the toughest new games out recently and managed to get it mostly up to mid settings which is well playable. Most top systems struggle to get this to play on high. I play COD4 no bother on max settings, C&C tiberium wars, Racedriver Grid, plus a few others and i shouldn't have any bother with most other games i buy, such as need for speed, or FIFA.

I wouldn't reccommend getting that exact card, just saying that mid range isn't too bad an option and can do most of what you want. Cards such as Nvidia 8600gt aren't a bad option either if you think you won'tt play much more than Fifa, Tiger woods or COD4. If you feel that you might want to get all the latest and greatest games then consider getting something like an 8800GT for top end performance and a better lastability of the card.

Check this site (click view all products at the bottom) to give you a quick visual idea of how cards compare. Compare for example a HD2400 (similar to your card) with a Nvidia 8600 or my HD2600xt. Your card doesn't cut it, my card does the job. Landy or Matts super duper 8800s do the job and cook your dinner too.

One last note. Don't just buy a card even after this. Make sure you know what type of card your pc takes. I would imagine it's PCI express, which most cards are nowadays. but we better check first. If you can see it say PCI express graphics card anywhere on the box or whatever, that's it easily sorted. If there's no obvious literature anywhere, then i'll help you find out.

Landy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Landy » 18 Jun 2008, 21:52

Do you reckon you could stretch to?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... -%20Retail

that'll keep you going for a fair while

if not the Nvidia 8600 (as marshy rightly said) is your best bet by far
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productli ... &subid=912

Lol im builind myself a new PC soon and im getting 3 of these babies :D

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... -%20Retail

TIGER DAZ

Post by TIGER DAZ » 18 Jun 2008, 23:27

Cheers, fellas

I think i'm going to go for the Nvidia 8600, it appears to be a decent card at a decent price.

I don't have a clue how to install it and remove the current one so when it comes a bit more help would be much appreciated :D .

marshman
League One Player
League One Player

Post by marshman » 18 Jun 2008, 23:38

TIGER DAZ wrote:Cheers, fellas

I think i'm going to go for the Nvidia 8600, it appears to be a decent card at a decent price.

I don't have a clue how to install it and remove the current one so when it comes a bit more help would be much appreciated :D .

It's not dificult mate at all. Unplug the power, open up the case, locate the card, undo one small screw, flick a little tab, disconnect any power connected to the graphics card and then pull. The card is out. Then do everything in reverse to fit the other. If there was no power connected to the card, remember to check if the new card uses it (i think an 8600 does) and connect it. It's really that simple.

Just give us a shout when the time comes. You could also take a picture with your phone just in case you can't remember what was what to help later.

One thing to mention. Do you have warranty on the tower? If so, by opening up the case your warranty would be void.

marshman
League One Player
League One Player

Post by marshman » 19 Jun 2008, 07:50

Hope i'm not too late with this and you've already ordered something. Spotted this HD3850 256mb card which is a good deal. £66 delivered for a card that is well above mid range and similar in performance to Nvidia 8800gts. As of now, only 3 left in stock though.