Processors

General Chit-Chat is in here... New Members are invited to pop in and say hello!
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Processors

Post by HuddsTigers » 30 Jun 2011, 22:36

Can someone explain the difference between dual/quad core etc processors?

What is the difference? Which is faster? And what's the best to look out for.

It's always one thing that I've never really got and I usually go by the Hz speed when I'm mooching around.

But I've never known what's faster (i.e. a 2.60 Hz dual core or a 2.4 Hz quad core)
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

legionited
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Processors

Post by legionited » 01 Jul 2011, 00:53

It's about the amount of processing that can be done by the chip, dual core allows for 2 sets of instructions to be running at the same time, quad core allows 4. It's a distribution of workload between the cores.

If you don't use your PC for a lot, getting a multiple core CPU isn't entirely necessary although you would probably notice it running faster. If you are running graphics/video editing software and/or graphically intensive games then having more cores is better, though it's worth noting that more cores = more heat too.

I recently invested in an i5 2500k quad core 3.30ghz CPU that I am very impressed with.

I think the i5 and i7 CPU's are currently considered to be the better of the current crop of intel chips. I don't know much about AMD although I believe they have a new range of processors coming out soon.

big-t
League One Player
League One Player

Post by big-t » 01 Jul 2011, 18:56

Dual core means that it runs off 2 "cores" Quad 4 and then there's 6/8 core CPU's but they're a bit OTT for anything other than heavy graphics editing/gaming.

Ghz is the clock speed, the higher the number the faster the processor.

Then to get really in depth some Intel chips have "virtual cores" which double the amount so a quad core would display as 8 cores on the computer etc

8)

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 05 Jul 2011, 20:47

The one is one looking at was an AMD quad core but might downsize it to a triple core.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 05 Jul 2011, 20:47

Oh and thanks for the info.

big-t
League One Player
League One Player

Post by big-t » 05 Jul 2011, 23:37

A quad core would be better in the long run because it's a bit more future proof.

And as you're looking at an AMD processor, is the current motherboard an AMD one? Or are you looking at building one from scratch? (if so make sure you get an AMD chipset motherboard).

ivantheboss

Post by ivantheboss » 01 Sep 2011, 07:39

quad core got 4 cores and dual core got 2 core, so quad core is better

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 06 Sep 2011, 22:45

ivantheboss wrote:quad core got 4 cores and dual core got 2 core, so quad core is better
Not necessarily. Some core 2 duos can outperform a quad core depending on the clock speed and a few other factors.

Overall though you'd be best going for a mid range i5 processor, will handle everything you need it to do.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

big-t
League One Player
League One Player

Post by big-t » 07 Sep 2011, 13:40

Matt wrote:Overall though you'd be best going for a mid range i5 processor, will handle everything you need it to do.
i5 2500k...cracking CPU (and very easy to overclock) :D