Upgrading my Pc

General Chit-Chat is in here... New Members are invited to pop in and say hello!
PlumJnr
Academy Player
Academy Player

Upgrading my Pc

Post by PlumJnr » 31 Jan 2012, 17:49

Hi i am after some info and help,i am looking at upgrading my pc.This is rather than buying a new one.I am looking at going to a i-7 2600k processor but i will have to also buy a new motherboard and memory.This is due to my current motherboard not been capable of housing the i-7.
The question is do i buy seperate or a motherboard bundle.Plus would i be able to do the install myself.I have a bit of knowledge but never attempted a home build (of sorts).

legionited
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Upgrading my Pc

Post by legionited » 01 Feb 2012, 13:10

I can't comment too much on what you should buy, but as for building yourself I would definitely give it a go. I recently built a new PC for myself and it was very straight forward. There are plenty of guides online for some of the more complicated aspects of PC building should you need them.

If you are upgrading it's worth checking that your power supply has enough power for existing and any new components, it's also worth checking that your case is big enough to house a new motherboard and the heat sink that you will probably need for your new processor.

Also, a mistake I made was opting not to buy a CD drive because I already had one. My old one was an IDE drive which wasn't compatible so definitely check that your existing hardware is going to be compatible with any new stuff.

Once again I'd definitely consider doing the build yourself, it's a very rewarding knowing you've built it.

I bought my parts from OverClockers and I was able to get some good advice from people who post on their forums about what build to go for so I'd be tempted to sign up there and give them some details about what you have currently, what you want to upgrade to and a budget and they'll give you some good build advice.

big-t
League One Player
League One Player

Post by big-t » 09 Feb 2012, 21:04

Unless you're going to be using Photoshop a bit/video editing you could save yourself the money and get an i5 2500k, they're just as good for everyday things - the hyperthreading that is used in the i7s is only really of use for editing (most games tell you to turn it off too)

The most important thing to buy though is a good PSU, don't save money there and make sure you get a quality one. You'll probably need to buy a case too so unless you recycle the disc drive from the old computer you'll need one of those as well.

legionited
League One Player
League One Player

Post by legionited » 10 Feb 2012, 14:20

big-t wrote:Unless you're going to be using Photoshop a bit/video editing you could save yourself the money and get an i5 2500k, they're just as good for everyday things - the hyperthreading that is used in the i7s is only really of use for editing (most games tell you to turn it off too)

The most important thing to buy though is a good PSU, don't save money there and make sure you get a quality one. You'll probably need to buy a case too so unless you recycle the disc drive from the old computer you'll need one of those as well.
Gotta agree on the i5 2500k, that's what I have in my system.