Steve Gill

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Steve Gill

Post by Aid » 17 Feb 2018, 17:22

The Firm wrote:
sirocco7 wrote: To be honest SG leaving maybe a good thing. Don’t get me wrong he’s done a brilliant job but ultimately he’s not a business man he’s a former coal miner and rugby coach. A new CEO may help us take the next step !
This is also my take on it. He has done a good job when the club was up to its ears in it but if we want to kick on then we need professionals doing a professional job. Steve would only be able to take us so far, we now need new blood and it HAS to be fresh blood from outside the club. If we remain insular we will slip back and if it’s Gratton then the club will likely disappear off a cliff, the guy is the ultimate gentlemans sausage.

As for Steve thanks for your efforts. I hear theres a head of youth job going if you fancy it.
Not sure what you mean by "professionals doing a professional job" Do you mean the sort of "professionals" who were running Carillion? They were "professional" numerous directorships and many many years of running huge organisations between them?
Steve Gill has done a remarkable job, turning round a badly holed ship, keeping it afloat and full steam ahead to being profitable off the field and successful on it. Not sure how much more he could have done.

As for " I hear theres a head of youth job going if you fancy it" - there will be any number of clubs who would love to have Steve Gill steering their ship and I suspect he will not be short of offers.
cum on you Ford

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 17 Feb 2018, 17:28

HT has a very valid point - unless you have a corporate Sponsorship list that is bristling with the likes of Microsoft Virgin Apple Samsung Shell Oil etc our door should be ALWAYS open to every single company especially a National/International name.

Have Haribo ever been approached for example?

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 17 Feb 2018, 18:14

A question for those that are ‘in the know’ - how many ‘Gills’ are on the payroll at the club?

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 17 Feb 2018, 18:56

So the rumours

Gill signed clare and aston without dp say so, why would he? Why would dp play either player if he was against it surely he would have just let them rot?

Gill wants hardaker out because hes a cheat and hes shamed the club and hes stickin to his guns , i can see where hes coming from with this one but sounds like stubbornness if hes willing to walk just because he doesn't get his own way
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 17 Feb 2018, 19:19

derbystiger wrote:A question for those that are ‘in the know’ - how many ‘Gills’ are on the payroll at the club?
Given that there’s several staff related to others, I fail to see the relevancy. Mark Gratton’s sons work in the shop, Ben Cooper’s wife is the Marketing Manager. Who they are related to shouldn’t be an issue. Whether they do a good job is.

I can’t really comment on Michelle though she seems to get along well with the media. The lads in the shop, for me, always do a grand job and are personable. I know that Marc Gill has done a lot for my Grandad.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 17 Feb 2018, 19:55

jackknife wrote:So the rumours

Gill signed clare and aston without dp say so, why would he? Why would dp play either player if he was against it surely he would have just let them rot?

Gill wants hardaker out because hes a cheat and hes shamed the club and hes stickin to his guns , i can see where hes coming from with this one but sounds like stubbornness if hes willing to walk just because he doesn't get his own way
Why is hardaker a cheat a fool yes for taking what's called a social drug but as far as I am aware he has not taken performance enhancing drugs which would have then made him into a cheat,and personally I would definitely keep him for when his ban is over if we don't wait see how many are queuing for is signature

Max n paddy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Max n paddy » 17 Feb 2018, 20:49

You could see that the swagger wasn’t there from the first game.

Is it linked ?

Who kin knows ! I’m with one or two on here , it just takes ya wind out of ya sales and as Robbo said , I don’t think there will be fresh blood brought in.

But hey , ya never know.
Ding Dang Doo, Let the tiger see the rhino !!

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 17 Feb 2018, 22:07

Course it's linked. There's a 'disturbance in the force' lol.

With us being such a close knit club and community, th feel good factor or lack of leaks through.

I don't know how or why people are bothering with other threads, this is related to the overall future of the club. I don't think people realise how perilous the situation is.

I told everyone of Hardaker way before anyone else in the UK and the same applies here nearly, people need to clear it up.

Who would YOIR choice be of CEO - f on the club..
Audacter Et Sincere

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by onetiger » 17 Feb 2018, 22:16

next ceo could be dr marwan koukash as he now wants to give rugby league another go

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Feb 2018, 22:28

Robbo explained why someone like koucash wont come in there are flaws at the club that need sorting or bad things will follow but you get fed flannel i suppose eventually you start to believe it all
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 17 Feb 2018, 22:31

onetiger wrote:next ceo could be dr marwan koukash as he now wants to give rugby league another go
Unlikely I’d suggest.
I could see Koukash being tempted to buy the club and be the owner. He’s probably realised from his time at Salford that you can’t buy support and his efforts to build attendances at Salford were doomed. Not so at Cas, where we have a strong base to build from, a realistic prospect of a new stadium that will be in a prime location, the best coaching team in the league and a playing team that he doesn’t need to build from scratch.

Borisfinal

Post by Borisfinal » 17 Feb 2018, 22:47

Steve Gill was the anchor when Cas were in dire need of stability through turbulent times. It appears that the business is in a strong position, Cas Tigers has to invest in a strong business based individual who can take us to another level.
With greatest respect, to talk about past Chairmen returning and ‘families’ running the business the ‘back to the future’ ship sailed many moons ago.
Paul Caddick and Gary Hetherington,both Castleford men,invested, planned and delivered a massive turnaround at Leeds and success naturally followed.
In this brave new world, Castleford Tigers has to get a real driver at the helm to build upon the legacy Steve Gill has left(?).
Why not Koukash, brash, astute and financially sound.
This is about delivering on and off the field.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 17 Feb 2018, 23:14

Because when Koukash gets bored and walks away he leaves an unholy mess behind him.

Because he'd try to change our name to something like South Leeds or East Wakefield.

Because he's a self-centred, egotistical publicity seeking prat.

That's why not.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 17 Feb 2018, 23:22

HuddsTigers wrote:
derbystiger wrote:A question for those that are ‘in the know’ - how many ‘Gills’ are on the payroll at the club?
Given that there’s several staff related to others, I fail to see the relevancy. Mark Gratton’s sons work in the shop, Ben Cooper’s wife is the Marketing Manager. Who they are related to shouldn’t be an issue. Whether they do a good job is.

I can’t really comment on Michelle though she seems to get along well with the media. The lads in the shop, for me, always do a grand job and are personable. I know that Marc Gill has done a lot for my Grandad.
Might be irrelevant in your rose tinted eyes Hudds, but not mine. In order to get to the next level the club has to be run as a commercial business and not 'jobs for the boys'. Yes, we pride ourselves on being a family club, but that doesn't mean that jobs need to be created for all of your family members. Castleford Tigers is not a small family business. I personally think there is a lot more to this than has been rumoured on here.

Max n paddy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Max n paddy » 18 Feb 2018, 00:24

Mysterio wrote:Course it's linked. There's a 'disturbance in the force' lol.

With us being such a close knit club and community, th feel good factor or lack of leaks through.

I don't know how or why people are bothering with other threads, this is related to the overall future of the club. I don't think people realise how perilous the situation is.

I told everyone of Hardaker way before anyone else in the UK and the same applies here nearly, people need to clear it up.

I think you could pick pieces out of a lot of the posts on this tread in which you could do a good job description.

I also think that the people that would like the “next level “ calibre person in with a fresh approach, I agree with for all the reasons that have been quoted.

BUT, will / could / be allowed to fit in and work there magic whoever took the roll.

My honest opinion is that there will be a in house promotion that will keep the status que in the set up we have.

Only way I can see any shocks on the cards is if Mr Fulton’s shares were bought. Maybe the present BOD will club together?

Hope I’m wrong , and Mr Gratton does a great job and we quickly get back on last years horse !

But like quite a few on here I’ve been on the CRLFC rollercoaster for over 50 years too and non of this surprises me !

Ps , I sincerely hope the players and coaches can show us that there’s still something to support !
Ding Dang Doo, Let the tiger see the rhino !!

Towns88
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Towns88 » 18 Feb 2018, 09:04

People have often criticised mark gratton's personable skills but from what I've heard he does a very good job and I can see him taking over as CEO. I remember interviewing steve a few years ago and he felt ideally a CEO would be someone who doesn't have added affection for the club. Gratton would probably fit that bill. Someone I know from coke speaks highly of him (from a working perspective )

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 18 Feb 2018, 09:09

I would like to think if STEVE as left he as left of his own accord we know the lad as battled with health issues' i do hope these issues have not returned , if he as been pushed out i would love to know by who and for WHAT ?? , since Steve as been at the helm we have seen the club sort its finances out, plus we have had a team to support that's improved beyond all recognition from the one before he took over, CAS TIGERS will be a lot poorer without STEVE GILL if he as left

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Feb 2018, 09:21

For what ? Signing a player we didnt need and doubling his wages ? Who knows ..steve gill as done a great job i believe hes being told fall on your sword or get sacked one might question how that situation came to pass as the board of directors are full of his own men !
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 18 Feb 2018, 11:08

Robert Elston. Ex-director at Tigers, still watches and supports the team. Already a shareholder. Only problem is - would he step down at Everton FC to take a job with us ?

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 18 Feb 2018, 11:55

Would you leave a Premier League club for a SL club?

If it was up to me this is who I would want running my club based on what we already know about him.