Brent Sherwin

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Morrissey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Brent Sherwin

Post by Morrissey » 29 Jun 2008, 09:25

He is the only player along with a couple of the young lads who can come out with his head held high. Thought he did everything he could to get us over the whitewash, with some great passing and kicking like the 40-20 and the bomb that caused confusion between winger and full back in the second half, not to mention that chip over the top- he should have had more support not just from Stuart Donlan. He created enough chances for the team to win the match 10 times over, but no one could give him the support he required.
In defence he really made some key tackles and timely interventions from loose balls as he always seems to do, and gave a real captains knock in my opinion. Showed a real determination which seemed absent in alot of other players in what was a terribly embarrassing performance.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 29 Jun 2008, 11:03

He got some right stick yesterday and much of this was justified but not to the extent of what he recieved, Brent Sherwin didnt lose us the game yesterday - but you would have thought he did from where i was stood

The Drop goal, Should have landed it, if you were asked for positioning from where to take it that would be ideal

The Penalty, Why did he take it when joe was on the field? Why did we opt for the 2 if we knew sherwin would take it?

A few kicks that went dead in goal were very very poor and even the bomb the winger dropped was a bad kick - Far too long but the winger made a howler

I do however think he defended very well - he dashed in from the wing for there first try but it was 3 on 1 so cant fault him, and made some key tackles when needed and the guy is a quality ball handler, He needs a good 6 and a decent pack to work with though
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 29 Jun 2008, 11:44

Agree Kempy. Thought that Sherwin played really well yesterday, with exception to his kicking which I thought was awful throughout the match.
--------------------------------------------------------
ACCOUNT CLOSED WITH OWNERS PERMISSION

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 29 Jun 2008, 11:54

this player came with a reputation as a great kicker but having watched him for most of the season he is the worst kicking half back I can remember. He is incapable of weighting a kick to stop in the in goal area. Surely this is a skill which with practice should be honed to near perfection.

Half Acres Halfwit
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Half Acres Halfwit » 29 Jun 2008, 14:22

The penalty kick he took baffled me too,asked a player last night why Joe didn`t take it and his reply was " He doesn`t kick any more" and wouldn`t comment any further, which baffled me even more.

HEY YOU GU-UYS!!

petercascas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by petercascas » 29 Jun 2008, 14:24

his kicking game has been poor, but i think we have been spoiled last year with D.Brough who has the best kicking game in super league IMO.

Sherwin is doing fine. Hes top of the super league try assists and without him we would be lost at the minute. Hes got a good brain on him and if he had some hard running front/second rowers like at canterbury, he would be fantastic.

corsa
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: @ianhenshaw1983

Re: Brent Sherwin

Post by corsa » 29 Jun 2008, 15:01

To be honest i aint a fan of sherwin doubt i ever will not good enough for me but thats my opinion.

wastedyears1981
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Eating a baloo burger in the WRE behind the sticks.

Post by wastedyears1981 » 29 Jun 2008, 16:12

I agree, sherwin has yet to impress me. Few good performances, but nothing out of the ordanary. Very predictable, teams can read him like a book at the moment.

Time is a great healer, unless its a rash. Then your better off with ointment - Holly, Red Dwarf

Airedale Tiger

Post by Airedale Tiger » 29 Jun 2008, 16:13

Agree with previous comments, regarding Sherwin he was by far our best player, we have nobody in the team on the same wavelength as we are not thinking as quick as he is, also the team picked up when Joe came on, we need to work on our tackling technique, Mcgoldrick never goes for the legs, and Joe was laid in a crumpled heap when Luke Burgess ran into him as he went high instead of going for the legs, luckily for us Joe came back on. Hendo ought to have them in the classroom giving his advice on how to tackle correctly. Matterson needs to stop playing players out of position i.e Mcgoldrick loose forward and we need a goal kicker we are like headless chickens when we get a penalty as nobody knows what to do and who is taking the kick. Sherwin took the kick as he was near the where the offence occurred but joe and Huby were also on the pitch as well.. I'm baffled.

big-t
League One Player
League One Player

Post by big-t » 29 Jun 2008, 16:16

If Matterson had any bottle he would drop McGoldrick, but he won't because of that stupid contract given to him.

But on the radio it sounded like Sherwin played as well as anyone could in a team as bad as this Cas one.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 29 Jun 2008, 16:33

Airedale Tiger wrote:Agree with previous comments, regarding Sherwin he was by far our best player, we have nobody in the team on the same wavelength as we are not thinking as quick as he is, also the team picked up when Joe came on, we need to work on our tackling technique, Mcgoldrick never goes for the legs, and Joe was laid in a crumpled heap when Luke Burgess ran into him as he went high instead of going for the legs, luckily for us Joe came back on. Hendo ought to have them in the classroom giving his advice on how to tackle correctly. Matterson needs to stop playing players out of position i.e Mcgoldrick loose forward and we need a goal kicker we are like headless chickens when we get a penalty as nobody knows what to do and who is taking the kick. Sherwin took the kick as he was near the where the offence occurred but joe and Huby were also on the pitch as well.. I'm baffled.
Huby wasnt on the field when the penalty was awarded and was only subbed on to the field as shifty was lining the kick up, You cannot sub someone on and let them take the kick like that
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

zeuss
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by zeuss » 30 Jun 2008, 09:29

big-t wrote:If Matterson had any bottle he would drop McGoldrick, but he won't because of that stupid contract given to him.

But on the radio it sounded like Sherwin played as well as anyone could in a team as bad as this Cas one.
So you base your opinion on what you hear (or don't hear) on the radio?

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 30 Jun 2008, 09:44

zeuss wrote:
big-t wrote:If Matterson had any bottle he would drop McGoldrick, but he won't because of that stupid contract given to him.

Sherwin played well, McGoldrick played out of position at loose forward, should have been in the centre to exploit their inexperience.

Not sure what TM is thinking about moving Ryan to lock, he's a quality centre and that's where he should play, his defence in the centre is good, whereas his positional play in other areas (such as full back, where he has little experience) let's him down IMO.

Should have played Hlad in forwards and Goldy in centre, Owen on wing, left out Fletcher.
Danny Boy

monkeyface
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by monkeyface » 30 Jun 2008, 09:56

Danny Boy wrote:
zeuss wrote:

Sherwin played well, McGoldrick played out of position at loose forward, should have been in the centre to exploit their inexperience.

Not sure what TM is thinking about moving Ryan to lock, he's a quality centre and that's where he should play, his defence in the centre is good, whereas his positional play in other areas (such as full back, where he has little experience) let's him down IMO.

Should have played Hlad in forwards and Goldy in centre, Owen on wing, left out Fletcher.
just as my wife said before kick off, i think you and her shopuld take the place of TM, and AH.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 30 Jun 2008, 12:25

Danny Boy wrote:
zeuss wrote:

Think this is what nobody gets, why cant & doesnt TM do this with players, instead of playing them out of position & where they are totally unaffective, whats wrong with the man !!