Unnecessary team changes

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
stumain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Unnecessary team changes

Post by stumain » 30 Jun 2008, 11:30

Most people would presumably agree that the performance against Wigan was impressive? We should have won that game by converting the possession and territorial advantage we enjoyed in the first half.

Rather than go into the Leeds game with the same 17, why did TM choose to make so many positional and personnel changes?

If JW13 was not ready to start, why not just move Lupton to loose and bring Catic into the second row, allowing Joe to start on the bench? Consistency of selection rewarding those that played well from last week.

Instead, Hlad dropped to the reserves, Westy taking his place on the bench; Higgins dropped for Catic; Huby moved from second row to prop; McG playing for the first time at loose forward, Donlan moved to full back and Fletcher brought in on the wing.

A draw with Wigan, an impressive performance from 1-17, no new injuries so the chance to keep the same side yet 8 changes made by the coach!

Skip
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Skip » 30 Jun 2008, 12:13

Y'know what?

It's no wonder some of our players don't perform when we keep juggling them around positional wise...

Effectively TM is using most of our team as utility players. While this might make them versatile, they'll never be as good as they would be if they were told to concentrate on one position on the field and one job at a time.

Yet another issue in a long line of problems.
Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?

There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I walk that line every day.

Danny Boy
Verified

Re: Unnecessary team changes

Post by Danny Boy » 30 Jun 2008, 12:23

stumain wrote:Most people would presumably agree that the performance against Wigan was impressive? We should have won that game by converting the possession and territorial advantage we enjoyed in the first half.

Rather than go into the Leeds game with the same 17, why did TM choose to make so many positional and personnel changes?

If JW13 was not ready to start, why not just move Lupton to loose and bring Catic into the second row, allowing Joe to start on the bench? Consistency of selection rewarding those that played well from last week.

Instead, Hlad dropped to the reserves, Westy taking his place on the bench; Higgins dropped for Catic; Huby moved from second row to prop; McG playing for the first time at loose forward, Donlan moved to full back and Fletcher brought in on the wing.

A draw with Wigan, an impressive performance from 1-17, no new injuries so the chance to keep the same side yet 8 changes made by the coach!
Spot on Stu, it's what I said earlier on the other forum, it was stupid moving Goldy to loose forward, dropping Hlad and bringing Fletcher in. TM should have played Owen on the wing, Goldy at centre (where he belongs) and kept Hlad in the 17, or at the very least play Goldy at full back again and Donlan on the wing for Fletcher, with Hlad on the bench, crazy!

What has Hlad done wrong?
I thought he played well against the pies!
Danny Boy

Bomber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bomber » 30 Jun 2008, 12:26

Changes had to be made to find a place for Goldie, there was no way he could continue at full back after his pathetic defensive display against Wigan, although I agree some of the changes appear to be for the sake of it.

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 30 Jun 2008, 12:30

Bomber wrote:Changes had to be made to find a place for Goldie, there was no way he could continue at full back after his pathetic defensive display against Wigan, although I agree some of the changes appear to be for the sake of it.
That's because he's a centre.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 30 Jun 2008, 12:38

Bomber wrote:Changes had to be made to find a place for Goldie, there was no way he could continue at full back after his pathetic defensive display against Wigan, although I agree some of the changes appear to be for the sake of it.
Well he should be dropped then

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 30 Jun 2008, 12:39

stumain wrote:Most people would presumably agree that the performance against Wigan was impressive? We should have won that game by converting the possession and territorial advantage we enjoyed in the first half.

Simple TM is clueless,

Mr. Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mr. Tiger » 30 Jun 2008, 12:41

why do we have to put goldie anywhere? i mean unless we oonly have 17 fit guys why must he have a place.

Skip
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Skip » 30 Jun 2008, 12:53

Don't get me wrong - he's not a bad player when it goes well.

But he's a centre. Nothing more, nothing less. Playing him at stand off is a waste of someone who can run good lines. His decision making with the ball in hand is questionable at best, and downright ridiculous at worst. His defence is shaky, but nothing that playing in the position he's played all his pro career (until here) wouldn't fix with a second rower inside him to help clear up.

He's not a fullback.
He's not a stand-off.
And he's DEFINITELY not a loose forward.

What i'd be questioning more is why hasn't Goldie spoken out and said 'i'm best in the Centres mate' to TM?

Answer: Goldies ego. He wants to play stand-off. He wants to be some sort of pivot player and get the plaudits and believes he can do it.

All credit to the bloke for backing himself, but unfortunately he really can't cut it at stand-off. I've seen better stand offs in the amateur leagues. Signing him onto a 4 year contract puts pressure on TM to pick him though, and has given goldie an ego boost that is blinding him to the fact that he's not playing his best rugby, and is making some quite amateur mistakes in a position he's simply not suited to.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee I think.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 30 Jun 2008, 13:01

Good points but I guess we'll never know the answers?

Ever since his arrival I've question the tactical knowledge of TM and he keeps proving me right.

I can only hope there were extraneous circumstances that placed pressure on the status quo?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

classy cas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classy cas » 30 Jun 2008, 13:32

A draw with Wigan, an impressive performance from 1-17, no new injuries so the chance to keep the same side yet 8 changes made by the coach![/quote]

What did Hlad do wrong to get dropped?. We will never know if he is good enough for SL. I thought he went OK v Wigan.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 30 Jun 2008, 15:47

The answer is so simple.

Terry Matterson as NO tactical nous what so ever.
Skip and stumain have more idea than TM. :roll:

stumain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stumain » 30 Jun 2008, 16:02

old cas lass wrote:stumain have more idea than TM. :roll:
Off all the criticism that's been thrown at TM over the years, that's the harshest! ;)

Skip
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Skip » 30 Jun 2008, 16:34

Lol, it's a good job I take that lightly ;)

I'd have to say that I know a lot of amateur coaches though who seem to have more tactical awareness than TM...

Shameless
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shameless » 30 Jun 2008, 19:29

And therin lies the problem.

I don't know if TM thinks it is his job to move players around constantly or if he simply gets bored in between making up his dour excuses for poor performances. But a team will never function correctly if the players don't know instinctively who is around them and where everyone is in the attacking/defensive pattern.

It's no wonder the players look clueless when they have to check in with TM every week to find out where his Ladybird book of RL coaching says they will be playing! Never mind then having to spend most of the game trying to work out where the rest of their team mates are!

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 30 Jun 2008, 19:37

continuaty is a good thing in rl,could you imagine saints playing wellens at loose forward gardner to full back talau on the wing and sculthorpe to the bench to make way for a reserve team winger.that is what we did despite having the same 17 players from the week before against wigan available.

now there is the reason players dont know wether their coming or going,this all stems from us continually signing players who have never held down their place at other clubs and have been merely squad members rather than regulars.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 01 Jul 2008, 13:10

Shameless wrote:

And therin lies the problem.

I don't know if TM thinks it is his job to move players around constantly or if he simply gets bored in between making up his dour excuses for poor performances. But a team will never function correctly if the players don't know instinctively who is around them and where everyone is in the attacking/defensive pattern.

It's no wonder the players look clueless when they have to check in with TM every week to find out where his Ladybird book of RL coaching says they will be playing! Never mind then having to spend most of the game trying to work out where the rest of their team mates are!
So very true

Wicksy
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Wicksy » 01 Jul 2008, 13:18

All positions and who does not play are put into a hat and the team draw there positions out, Korki is at fullback this week . 8)

Maybe they don't want to stand down because they want to rectify the mistakes they've made in seasons gone by.

GThornton
League One Player
League One Player

Post by GThornton » 01 Jul 2008, 19:33

Two captains didn't work this year. Wonder if we will try 13 captains next year. The randomness of the substitutions get me though as well as the players playing different positions each week.