No Franchise for Cas Then ?????

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
billy the fish
Academy Player
Academy Player

No Franchise for Cas Then ?????

Post by billy the fish » 03 Jul 2008, 13:52

I know its only that Dumb thing on sky, Angela Powers opinion,But in her eyes out of the 19 applicants only 5 have got a "C" grading meaning all the other 14 are on a "A" or a "B" which guarantees a licence. So as she see's it
Castleford
Hull KR
Wakefield
Featherstone
Halifax

All miss out giving Leigh, Widnes, Salford, Celtic and Toulouse the nod.

Thank god she doesn't run the RFL
Want To Learn To Drive ?
Pass In 3-6 weeks or Weekly lessons, PM for Details - Discounts For Forum Members - http://www.trainwithdave.co.uk/

stumain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stumain » 03 Jul 2008, 13:55

The RFL are announcing the franchises in the week leading upto the cup semi-finals, with 5 regular rounds of the season left. There is no way on earth they will risk the negative publicity that kicking out one of the current 12 would cause. It's the current 12 + 2 regardless of what Angela Powers may say.

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Re: No Franchise for Cas Then ?????

Post by Fully » 03 Jul 2008, 14:07

billy the fish wrote:I know its only that Dumb thing on sky, Angela Powers opinion,But in her eyes out of the 19 applicants only 5 have got a "C" grading meaning all the other 14 are on a "A" or a "B" which guarantees a licence. So as she see's it
Castleford
Hull KR
Wakefield
Featherstone
Halifax

All miss out giving Leigh, Widnes, Salford, Celtic and Toulouse the nod.

Thank god she doesn't run the RFL
How on earth do Celtic get 5 points?
--------------------------------------------------------
ACCOUNT CLOSED WITH OWNERS PERMISSION

Half Acres Halfwit
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Half Acres Halfwit » 03 Jul 2008, 14:14

Large crowds,large stadium,financialy stable,no team within 20 miles oh and youth development.................I don`t think :roll:

HEY YOU GU-UYS!!

leo
League One Player
League One Player

Post by leo » 03 Jul 2008, 14:28

Current 12 plus Salford and Celtic I'm reliably informed....gotta feel sorry for the likes of Leigh with the new stadium.

Brush
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Brush » 03 Jul 2008, 15:05

stumain wrote:The RFL are announcing the franchises in the week leading upto the cup semi-finals, with 5 regular rounds of the season left. There is no way on earth they will risk the negative publicity that kicking out one of the current 12 would cause. It's the current 12 + 2 regardless of what Angela Powers may say.
If Castleford or Wakefield were denied a place in Superleague in favour of either Leigh; Widnes, Salford, Celtic, Toulouse Halifax or Featherstone Rovers with five rounds left to go it would create more publicity for Superleague than anyone could possibly dream of. In fact, the only thing that could possibly bring more attention to the game, at the launch of a new era, is if Toulouse and Featherstone Rovers were given a place in preference to Wigan and St. Helens.

I wouldn't gamble anything on what is about to happen........... :hand: :hand: :hand:
Come on Cas...........

stumain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stumain » 03 Jul 2008, 15:13

Brush wrote:If Castleford or Wakefield were denied a place in Superleague in favour of either Leigh; Widnes, Salford, Celtic, Toulouse Halifax or Featherstone Rovers with five rounds left to go it would create more publicity for Superleague than anyone could possibly dream of.
I read that as a positive Brush? Surely it would lead to 5 weeks of pitch invasions, match abandonments and protests? I guess we're back to "no such thing as bad publicity". Seems a common theme this year!

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 03 Jul 2008, 15:35

Angela Powers hasn't got a clue, but is maybe giving supporters of a number of clubs outside Superleague false hope.

Got to admire Ms Powers scoring system, I'm pretty sure she will add points if you can get nice ice cream for the kids, if the toilets have got fluffy white toilet paper you could add another point. If their attendances have been less than 1,000, give them another point for less congestion on the roads and a smaller carbon footprint, if they've got a mascot that the kids think is funny another....

I believe her "scoring" fails to award a point for the fact that we have upped our stadium capacity to 12,000, even on her scoring this would give us B license status.

Seriously though, got to say it will be the current 12 clubs plus two from either Salford, Widnes or Celtic.
Danny Boy

Jazzman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jazzman » 03 Jul 2008, 16:10

Neither Celtic or Widnes looked SL material to me on the recent game, probably Salford and Toulouse for me.

classy cas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classy cas » 03 Jul 2008, 16:18

don't know how true this is but i heard a whisper that 13 off the clubs have been decieded ages ago and that the RFL have been meeting to discuss the 14 th.

12 Current Sl sides :pray: + Celtic are the 13

widnes or salford for the 14th

Widnes are favourites because salford new stadium might not be ready until 2012.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 03 Jul 2008, 16:55

I know Cullen and Rea aren't involved in picking the 14 teams for the franchise but they seemed optimistic that Cas would get a place, sooo we will after see what happens. Personally i believe the current 12 SL teams now will get one and then either Widnes or Celtic/Halifax. I don't see Leigh getting one as i don't think they would attract players like Widnes can and could.

But we'll after see im very sure we'll get one, the club don't deserve one, some players don't either, i just really think the loyal and supporting fans who travel home and away including myself every week deserve to watch SL rugby, next year and the future after improve if Castleford are to win any sort of trophy and not just the NL1 trophy.

billy the fish
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by billy the fish » 03 Jul 2008, 17:41

I agree with most on here, it will be the 12 clubs in superleague now + 2,

Ms Powers did make me laugh with the Leigh application though, she gave them 1 point for getting crowds of 40% the size of their old stadium then gave them 1 point for having a 12000 capacity in their new one.
Surely it has to be one or the other, dont thinks she wants the likes of us in

Bless Her
Want To Learn To Drive ?
Pass In 3-6 weeks or Weekly lessons, PM for Details - Discounts For Forum Members - http://www.trainwithdave.co.uk/

wastedyears1981
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Eating a baloo burger in the WRE behind the sticks.

Post by wastedyears1981 » 03 Jul 2008, 17:45

If cas didnt get the frachise, it would definately destroy the club and I doubt the RL wouldnt want that to happen no matter how much they dislike us. Whether were at the bottom or not, we pull in the fans every week (at the moment) which equals money/advertising ect ect ....thats something the RL wouldnt want to lose.

Time is a great healer, unless its a rash. Then your better off with ointment - Holly, Red Dwarf

p.s.
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by p.s. » 03 Jul 2008, 20:09

Sky are hopelessly biased towards the Lancashire teams. Last seaon theiri NL 1 coverage was all Widnes and this year it's all Salford. I wouldn't take any notice of Angela Powers whatsoever.

Bone!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bone! » 03 Jul 2008, 20:29

I would of thought its the current 12 and plus Widnes and Salford City Reds.

In 3 years time we may start seeing dramatic changes. Like Toluse, Celtic and any others.

tigerjosh
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tigerjosh » 03 Jul 2008, 21:17

I am starting to think current 12 plus Celtic and Widnes. Good for now but there will have to be a big improvement in performances/results/position in league and a new stadium in three years time otherwise we will be sent to the wilderness

cutsyke tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cutsyke tiger » 03 Jul 2008, 21:50

Personally if either the frogs or celtic get a franchise before the other clubs that have applied and who have been the backbone of the game for years then IMO the people running the game stink what will happen when sky decide they have had enough pull the plug and withdraw the funds you will see the frogs run away faster than they did during the 2 world wars and the welsh when they are not being subsidised will fold quicker than you can say jack robinson as i say its my opinion we should stay with the clubs that will be here a lot longer than those 2,

wastedyears1981
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Eating a baloo burger in the WRE behind the sticks.

Post by wastedyears1981 » 03 Jul 2008, 22:26

IMO i cant see any of the current clubs not getting a franchise whether it be this year or in 12, for a sport thats already struggling and this being a step to making the sport bigger and better, dropping any of the clubs or any they add to the SL would be a step back for them. So i doubt any club would lose a franchise, only teams will be added making the league larger.

Time is a great healer, unless its a rash. Then your better off with ointment - Holly, Red Dwarf

drleftie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by drleftie » 04 Jul 2008, 14:33

I think it will be the current 12 + Salford & Celtic.

If they don't have at least 1 'new team' from outside the north the whole franchise thing will look like a monumental waste of time so they will have to justify it somehow. They'll do this by having Celtic and arguing that they've already got a new French side and Toulouse isn't quite ready. They will use going into administration and being fined as the reason for not giving Widnes a place. For the reasons Stu has outlined they will not drop a current SL team and thank God we won the GF last year.

SherburnTiger88
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SherburnTiger88 » 04 Jul 2008, 15:04

I was thinking.

Are Celtic guaranteed?

Seeing as there will be 7 games needed to be played at Millenium Magic. I can't see how they will get round this apart from scrapping it and the rugby league down there will be Celtic and no more need of showcasing r game down there as MM anymore.

If ya understand that? lol
And It's Hull City! Hullll Cityyyyy FC! We're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen!!!!!
Silverware! We Don't Care! We'll follow City/Tigers Everywhere!!!