Sherwin stars in Tigers triumph

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Jazzman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jazzman » 07 Jul 2008, 11:15

Same problem yesterday as several other times, we can compete and even get the better of many sides - but only for 40 minutes. The whole side seems to go to pieces in the second half, and that has got to be a fitness issue.

Can anyone tell us how many times this season we have be nilled in the second half??, ar at least well beaten in the second half??

stumain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stumain » 07 Jul 2008, 11:59

Jazzman wrote:Can anyone tell us how many times this season we have be nilled in the second half??, ar at least well beaten in the second half??
Games played this season = 21

Nilled in second half = 2

Leading at half time but not victorious = 2

* Not the same two games I should add

Lost the first half = 14

Lost the second half = 16

How do you define well-beaten?

Skip
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Skip » 07 Jul 2008, 12:09

stu: more than a 18 point difference in second half scorelines maybe?
Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?

There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I walk that line every day.

Jazzman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jazzman » 07 Jul 2008, 12:21

stumain wrote:
Jazzman wrote:Can anyone tell us how many times this season we have be nilled in the second half??, ar at least well beaten in the second half??
Games played this season = 21

Nilled in second half = 2

Leading at half time but not victorious = 2

* Not the same two games I should add

Lost the first half = 14

Lost the second half = 16

How do you define well-beaten?
That's not as bad as I expected. Are the 16 we lost in the second half the same 16 we have lost?? (if you get my drift).

stumain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stumain » 07 Jul 2008, 12:29

Skip wrote:stu: more than a 18 point difference in second half scorelines maybe?
3 of those against us.

stumain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stumain » 07 Jul 2008, 12:35

Jazzman wrote:Are the 16 we lost in the second half the same 16 we have lost?? (if you get my drift).
Have we always lost the match if we've lost the second half is the question, I think! No, yesterday was the only match this season where we have lost the second half but won the match.

Conversely, twice we have won the second half but lost. Home to Warrington and away at Catalans.

Jazzman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jazzman » 07 Jul 2008, 12:45

stumain wrote:
Jazzman wrote:Are the 16 we lost in the second half the same 16 we have lost?? (if you get my drift).
Have we always lost the match if we've lost the second half is the question, I think! No, yesterday was the only match this season where we have lost the second half but won the match.

Conversely, twice we have won the second half but lost. Home to Warrington and away at Catalans.
That's exactly what I meant - sorry my wording was not the best there. It not as bad as I suspected, Looking back over the season we seem to have done well in first halves and fallen away after half time, I thought we had probably "won" more first halves than we have done.

Thanks for the info Stu

I still think this a fitness issue though, if we are going to compete at this level we have to play for 80 minutes, and if we play for 80 minutes we are going to win more games.

tigerman1
League One Player
League One Player

Post by tigerman1 » 07 Jul 2008, 12:49

the half time speeches must be awe inspiring at times cos they usually come out like zombies
A win a win my kingdom for a win

AVM a much misunderstood and unknown condition http://www.avmsupport.org.uk/

I wished my bank balance was a big as our points against

have you ever seen comical Ali and RW in the same room... didnt think so.

open your mind but especially your eyes

Skip
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Skip » 07 Jul 2008, 12:51

It would be more interesting to see the last 20 mins scorelines... I think that would paint a more interesting picture.
Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?

There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I walk that line every day.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 07 Jul 2008, 12:57

Can't moan about getting two points but still have to question the fact KR were allowed back into the game.

Should've been over and done with by 60mins but it appears as though our half-time chat worked a treat once more. Thankfully the defencive effort held true and we can take heart from that fact alone.

You never know, we might keep Saints down to a mere 50 points now?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

The Happy Hooker
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Usually found between open side and blind side prop

Post by The Happy Hooker » 07 Jul 2008, 14:04

Bengal wrote:I'll definitely add that a wins a win and I was unbelievably glad to get it. Without wanting to sound a party pooper though I want to give what I think is how I realistically saw it, nothing more or less.

Firstly Hull KR are hardly the strongest of SL teams and they came with a severely weakened team. Having said that, we did what we had to in the first half and played very well with Sherwin being outstanding in attack, and looking like he could have created some more tries too. They it had to be said were terrible and offered very little, but we could only do what we had to and we did it well.

At half time I honestly thought as did many others, that we would and should, go on and win very comfortably by 30 to 40 points. All we had to do was do the basics and apply ourselves.

In the 2nd half I agree with many others our defence was very good, but having said that we were up against a very poor team that asked very few questions of us in defence, had very few attacking options or represented a potent attacking force. Still though we tackled well.

Apart from our defence though we were very poor, and Sherwin was largely anonymous in the second half. I would still have given him the MOM for his first half showing, but I still say I have yet to see him play like he did in the first half for eighty minutes. If he has done so, I have yet to see it, although I know he it has been difficult for him. This though was the ideal opportunity for him to do so, but apart from 1 or 2 moments in the 2nd stanza, he went very quiet.

The fact of the matter is that if we are to progress as a team / club and start to realise our ambitions, then the fact is that a large proportion of players have to be cut, and a lot more quality ones brought in. A welcome win, albeit against poor opposition, does not alter that fact.

Finally I didn't go last week, but having seen McG play no 13 today, can we please cease with this experiment. Neither the likes of the late great Jack Gibson or Wayne Bennett could make a loose forward out of him.
Bengal,
I doubt whether Jesus Christ, Allah or Buddah could make him into a loose forward
We await his second coming, Chuck Hardisty MkII

"It does not require many words to speak the truth"...Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

corsa
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: @ianhenshaw1983

Post by corsa » 07 Jul 2008, 14:16

tallguyx wrote:i thought the lads tackled brilliant today, the spell in the second half when the forwards were getting stuck in at the wre was inspiring stuff.

Well Done Lads!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
and also to Stu Donlan he had a good game too

Half Acres Halfwit
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Half Acres Halfwit » 07 Jul 2008, 15:09

We won ugly yesterday but the win was vital and hopefully,we can move on from that.Sherwin was immense in the 1st half and drifted into obscurity a little in the 2nd,this tied in with Goldy trying to do more but he just seemed to get in the way a little.Loose is NOT his position and playing him there also seemed to take some of the shine off Westy,who had to do an immense amount of work in the 2nd row.Let`s get Goldy and for that matter,the rest of the team playing in positions they`re comfortable in,then we may be able to play the attractive rugby we`ve seen in glimpses more consistantly.

HEY YOU GU-UYS!!

judd23
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by judd23 » 07 Jul 2008, 17:39

i thought goldys defence was very good yesterday. i think and have been sayin for a long time that when he plays full bk he stands flat footed front to the attacker therefore they just ruin straight past him, however if he tackles from the side or is already on the move he barely misses well didnt yesterday hardly. i had the same problem at football lol couldnt tackle front on but side on or already on the move never missed :D but then again hes not a full back so wont no how to stand unless sum1 shows him which clearly no1 has. watch wellens or webb wen sum1 breask thru (not that often against there teams like) they aint stood flat footed.

when goldy got the ball yesterday he seemed unsure of whether to pass it like a ball playin 13 or drive it like a work horse 13 so he was caught in 2 minds when he had the ball but his defense was good.

judd23
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by judd23 » 07 Jul 2008, 17:39

i thought goldys defence was very good yesterday. i think and have been sayin for a long time that when he plays full bk he stands flat footed front to the attacker therefore they just ruin straight past him, however if he tackles from the side or is already on the move he barely misses well didnt yesterday hardly. i had the same problem at football lol couldnt tackle front on but side on or already on the move never missed :D but then again hes not a full back so wont no how to stand unless sum1 shows him which clearly no1 has. watch wellens or webb wen sum1 breask thru (not that often against there teams like) they aint stood flat footed.

when goldy got the ball yesterday he seemed unsure of whether to pass it like a ball playin 13 or drive it like a work horse 13 so he was caught in 2 minds when he had the ball but his defense was good.
Tigers for the Top 8

Mcgoldrick in Matterson in Board OUT!