Sherwin stars in Tigers triumph

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
TIGER DAZ

Post by TIGER DAZ » 06 Jul 2008, 18:21

alftupper wrote:look out the raving optimists are about!

Cas managed to hang on for the 2 points against a terrible HKR side - in fact the worst side I've seen (thanks to the rain I attended) this year, apart from us of course. Too shocking teams. I thought the selection of McGoldrick at LF / SR was very strange - and for me completely ineffective.
I bet you wish you'd not bothered going now.

Mr. Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mr. Tiger » 06 Jul 2008, 18:26

i agree with alftupper to an extent. a capable side would mof beaten us easily today. today was two poor teams in action who did not handle the conditions well at all. all this is forgotten because we got the points

The Happy Hooker
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Usually found between open side and blind side prop

Post by The Happy Hooker » 06 Jul 2008, 18:31

Cas managed to hang on for the 2 points against a terrible HKR side - in fact the worst side I've seen (thanks to the rain I attended) this year, apart from us of course. Too shocking teams. I thought the selection of McGoldrick at LF / SR was very strange - and for me completely ineffective.
Huddersfield to finish last? It would be nice but no chance.
This was the only downside to an otherwise engtertaining match...............having been privelidged to see Mal Reilly, Nocker Norton, Ian French and 'T' I find his selection a major problem.

He is not and never will be a loose forward, to say he's sitting on a four year contract I could not remeber one worthwhile contribution to the match.

Not having a downer on the guy, but why oh why don't we play him in his best postion which is:
.............................................................................................................
at CENTRE ....end of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We await his second coming, Chuck Hardisty MkII

"It does not require many words to speak the truth"...Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 06 Jul 2008, 19:13

I'll definitely add that a wins a win and I was unbelievably glad to get it. Without wanting to sound a party pooper though I want to give what I think is how I realistically saw it, nothing more or less.

Firstly Hull KR are hardly the strongest of SL teams and they came with a severely weakened team. Having said that, we did what we had to in the first half and played very well with Sherwin being outstanding in attack, and looking like he could have created some more tries too. They it had to be said were terrible and offered very little, but we could only do what we had to and we did it well.

At half time I honestly thought as did many others, that we would and should, go on and win very comfortably by 30 to 40 points. All we had to do was do the basics and apply ourselves.

In the 2nd half I agree with many others our defence was very good, but having said that we were up against a very poor team that asked very few questions of us in defence, had very few attacking options or represented a potent attacking force. Still though we tackled well.

Apart from our defence though we were very poor, and Sherwin was largely anonymous in the second half. I would still have given him the MOM for his first half showing, but I still say I have yet to see him play like he did in the first half for eighty minutes. If he has done so, I have yet to see it, although I know he it has been difficult for him. This though was the ideal opportunity for him to do so, but apart from 1 or 2 moments in the 2nd stanza, he went very quiet.

The fact of the matter is that if we are to progress as a team / club and start to realise our ambitions, then the fact is that a large proportion of players have to be cut, and a lot more quality ones brought in. A welcome win, albeit against poor opposition, does not alter that fact.

Finally I didn't go last week, but having seen McG play no 13 today, can we please cease with this experiment. Neither the likes of the late great Jack Gibson or Wayne Bennett could make a loose forward out of him.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

fenton
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: AFenton90

Post by fenton » 07 Jul 2008, 01:11

Korki played well today :shock:

Under pressure me thinks with leafa and MS coming back/in.

HKR, theyre fans are truely amazing, wish ours was the same as theirs.

fenton
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: AFenton90

Post by fenton » 07 Jul 2008, 01:13

The Happy Hooker wrote:

Huddersfield to finish last? It would be nice but no chance.
This was the only downside to an otherwise engtertaining match...............having been privelidged to see Mal Reilly, Nocker Norton, Ian French and 'T' I find his selection a major problem.

He is not and never will be a loose forward, to say he's sitting on a four year contract I could not remeber one worthwhile contribution to the match.

Not having a downer on the guy, but why oh why don't we play him in his best postion which is:
.............................................................................................................
at CENTRE ....end of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Il never ever slate Goldy, but the places that he gets selected is totally shocking, he's a centre, and thats where he should play.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 07 Jul 2008, 06:22

Wicksy wrote:Think you are all missing the most pivital point and that is, HKR were utter dross in the first half, and not much better in the second . But a win is just that a win . Let's see in our next game if we are turning a corner, hear's hopeing so .
Someone who saw the game like me, We didnt attack well, In fact Sherwin apart i thought it was possibly the worst we have attacked for many a game as we dropped so much ball, Although we did win, Because Hull Kr were extremely poor and i have no idea about their Set Completion rate but it will have been laughable i am sure

The best of 2 bad sides IMO but 2 points all the same
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

Stumped
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Stumped » 07 Jul 2008, 09:39

Yeah I don't think this win is something to get to excited about.You've got to remember it was only a week ago that a reserve grade Leeds side beat us.I got more satisfaction out of the draw with Wigan.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 07 Jul 2008, 10:14

Stumped wrote:Yeah I don't think this win is something to get to excited about.You've got to remember it was only a week ago that a reserve grade Leeds side beat us.I got more satisfaction out of the draw with Wigan.
And on that day it was more a feeling of disappointment as we should have beaten them, We have put in 3 poor offensive performances and have picked up 3 points - Is that good or bad

I must say there was a certain agression in our defence today that i hadnt seen for a long while but players need to remember they have to make the tackle - Not just the impact, This is aimed at Liam Higgins who did this twice at least.
But we need to see more of that agression so that other packs wont be so eager to run it in at us

Credit to Richard Owen as well, He got smashed by Stanley Gene and got right back up and hit him back twice

And as i was a major critic of Ryan Mcgoldricks defence - He actually tackled yesterday :shock: so he has shown he can do it - He must continue to though
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

monkeyface
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by monkeyface » 07 Jul 2008, 10:22

i do beleave they had had tackling drills most of the week,
Hlad should show them how to tackle as he was called the tackling machine in Aussie,
But it was good to see some aggresion yesterday,

Jazzman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jazzman » 07 Jul 2008, 11:15

Same problem yesterday as several other times, we can compete and even get the better of many sides - but only for 40 minutes. The whole side seems to go to pieces in the second half, and that has got to be a fitness issue.

Can anyone tell us how many times this season we have be nilled in the second half??, ar at least well beaten in the second half??

stumain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stumain » 07 Jul 2008, 11:59

Jazzman wrote:Can anyone tell us how many times this season we have be nilled in the second half??, ar at least well beaten in the second half??
Games played this season = 21

Nilled in second half = 2

Leading at half time but not victorious = 2

* Not the same two games I should add

Lost the first half = 14

Lost the second half = 16

How do you define well-beaten?

Skip
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Skip » 07 Jul 2008, 12:09

stu: more than a 18 point difference in second half scorelines maybe?
Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?

There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I walk that line every day.

Jazzman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jazzman » 07 Jul 2008, 12:21

stumain wrote:
Jazzman wrote:Can anyone tell us how many times this season we have be nilled in the second half??, ar at least well beaten in the second half??
Games played this season = 21

Nilled in second half = 2

Leading at half time but not victorious = 2

* Not the same two games I should add

Lost the first half = 14

Lost the second half = 16

How do you define well-beaten?
That's not as bad as I expected. Are the 16 we lost in the second half the same 16 we have lost?? (if you get my drift).

stumain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stumain » 07 Jul 2008, 12:29

Skip wrote:stu: more than a 18 point difference in second half scorelines maybe?
3 of those against us.

stumain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stumain » 07 Jul 2008, 12:35

Jazzman wrote:Are the 16 we lost in the second half the same 16 we have lost?? (if you get my drift).
Have we always lost the match if we've lost the second half is the question, I think! No, yesterday was the only match this season where we have lost the second half but won the match.

Conversely, twice we have won the second half but lost. Home to Warrington and away at Catalans.

Jazzman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jazzman » 07 Jul 2008, 12:45

stumain wrote:
Jazzman wrote:Are the 16 we lost in the second half the same 16 we have lost?? (if you get my drift).
Have we always lost the match if we've lost the second half is the question, I think! No, yesterday was the only match this season where we have lost the second half but won the match.

Conversely, twice we have won the second half but lost. Home to Warrington and away at Catalans.
That's exactly what I meant - sorry my wording was not the best there. It not as bad as I suspected, Looking back over the season we seem to have done well in first halves and fallen away after half time, I thought we had probably "won" more first halves than we have done.

Thanks for the info Stu

I still think this a fitness issue though, if we are going to compete at this level we have to play for 80 minutes, and if we play for 80 minutes we are going to win more games.

tigerman1
League One Player
League One Player

Post by tigerman1 » 07 Jul 2008, 12:49

the half time speeches must be awe inspiring at times cos they usually come out like zombies
A win a win my kingdom for a win

AVM a much misunderstood and unknown condition http://www.avmsupport.org.uk/

I wished my bank balance was a big as our points against

have you ever seen comical Ali and RW in the same room... didnt think so.

open your mind but especially your eyes

Skip
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Skip » 07 Jul 2008, 12:51

It would be more interesting to see the last 20 mins scorelines... I think that would paint a more interesting picture.
Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?

There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I walk that line every day.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 07 Jul 2008, 12:57

Can't moan about getting two points but still have to question the fact KR were allowed back into the game.

Should've been over and done with by 60mins but it appears as though our half-time chat worked a treat once more. Thankfully the defencive effort held true and we can take heart from that fact alone.

You never know, we might keep Saints down to a mere 50 points now?
Spreading the Cas gene pool