GOALKICKER

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
monkeyface
Academy Player
Academy Player

GOALKICKER

Post by monkeyface » 06 Jul 2008, 19:59

Should be Westerman ,or Huby, enough said.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 06 Jul 2008, 20:01

Couldnt agree more

make it Huby to take some pressure off Westys shoulders, but if hes been subbed or isnt playing make it westy both far better than dixon

big-t
League One Player
League One Player

Post by big-t » 06 Jul 2008, 20:09

Dixon is usually a quality goal kicker, and if you remember was very accurate before his injury, and much more accurate then Joe, just because he missed a couple today, doesn't mean he should be taken off kicking duties, next week (If Cas manage to score) Dixon should be kicking, and will probably get them.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 06 Jul 2008, 20:15

big-t wrote:Dixon is usually a quality goal kicker, and if you remember was very accurate before his injury, and much more accurate then Joe, just because he missed a couple today, doesn't mean he should be taken off kicking duties, next week (If Cas manage to score) Dixon should be kicking, and will probably get them.
I disagree about quality kicker he wasnt last season and he hasnt been great this season (when he has kicked) but thats mainly opinion

Glassblower

Post by Glassblower » 06 Jul 2008, 20:23

Joe Westerman is not comfortable kicking goals claimed TM on Radio Leeds, he went on to say Dixon is our number one kicker only injuries have stopped him in the past and possibly effected his form with the boot.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 06 Jul 2008, 20:29

Glassblower wrote:Joe Westerman is not comfortable kicking goals claimed TM on Radio Leeds, he went on to say Dixon is our number one kicker only injuries have stopped him in the past and possibly effected his form with the boot.
Statisticly, Huby is the most accurate (according to castigers.net) with 79% and 120 kicks compared to 67% and 54 kicks for Dixon with westy in the middle with 70% and 46 succesfull kicks whilst i do realise he has kicked less than dixon as a percentage of attempted kicks he is hardly the best kicker around but Huby is our no.1 kicker but id personally get rid of Dixon next year anyway so westy as 2nd kicker after huby for me

(just my thoughts)

Grumpy Old Man
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Grumpy Old Man » 06 Jul 2008, 20:32

Some people are never happy unless they have some thing to moan about
KEEP THE FAITH

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 06 Jul 2008, 20:32

The Fox wrote:I disagree about quality kicker he wasnt last season and he hasnt been great this season (when he has kicked) but thats mainly opinion
Dixon wasn't always chosen to kick last year, seemed like he took conversions / penalties only when Brough wasn't playing or it was out wide on Broughy's weaker side.

I do think we need a regular kicker and one who's always on the pitch, so while Huby might be the better of the two, he's always going to have time on the bench. For next season I'd like to see us bring in an out and out goal kicker, whether that be a winger, fullback, back rower..... what ever!

While we're on about Dixon, he did kick at 100% in France didn't he? Seem to remember some of them weren't anything like easy.
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 06 Jul 2008, 20:38

I dont know about the les cats game, i didnt go but fair play to him if he did but i only gave the stats for their cas career but i agree that we need an out and out kicker who IS comfortable kicking dont know who though

and sorry to whoever it was, if it comes across as moaning but i just think that i have a valid opinion as does every sane person and many insane people

tigerman1
League One Player
League One Player

Post by tigerman1 » 06 Jul 2008, 20:42

only thing im shocked with is that TM hasnt tried Goldie at kicking lets face it theres only the score board and match anouncing he hasnt tried this season
A win a win my kingdom for a win

AVM a much misunderstood and unknown condition http://www.avmsupport.org.uk/

I wished my bank balance was a big as our points against

have you ever seen comical Ali and RW in the same room... didnt think so.

open your mind but especially your eyes

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 06 Jul 2008, 20:47

hell hath frozen over and I concur with Steadman for the second time today.

It is obvious that chopping and changing does not make for consistant goal kicking. I do not believe you can have your prefered kicker playing in the pack because of the probability that he is not going to be on the field for the full 80 minutes.

It's no good having a match winning chance to kick a goal when your kicker is sat on the bench. Throwing the ball to an occasional kicker who may not have kicked all game is not acceptable.

We need a good goal kicking half, centre or winger.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 06 Jul 2008, 20:49

tigerman1 wrote:only thing im shocked with is that TM hasnt tried Goldie at kicking lets face it theres only the score board and match anouncing he hasnt tried this season
no, next game its catic at full back goldie into prop and kicking as well as being ball boy and physio and captain

cos we just dont knowwhere his best position is

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 06 Jul 2008, 20:54

alftupper wrote:hell hath frozen over and I concur with Steadman for the second time today.
When was the 1st time?
alftupper wrote:It's no good having a match winning chance to kick a goal when your kicker is sat on the bench. Throwing the ball to an occasional kicker who may not have kicked all game is not acceptable.
Just like Leeds found out at the JJB, although that was down to injury not rotation. We need a Frano Botica quality of kicker, not many of those around any more but we at least need someone who plays 80 minutes and has c80% conversion rate.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 06 Jul 2008, 21:08

or El Masri would be nice, again another winger.

I'm not saying forwards can't kick well - Andy Farrell, Sammy Lloyd etc but they need to be on the pitch to kick them.

it's a complete no brainer for me - kicking opportunities occur throughout the 80 minutes therefore.......

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 06 Jul 2008, 21:12

alftupper wrote:or El Masri would be nice, again another winger.

I'm not saying forwards can't kick well - Andy Farrell, Sammy Lloyd etc but they need to be on the pitch to kick them.

it's a complete no brainer for me - kicking opportunities occur throughout the 80 minutes therefore.......
I agree but if you look at what i said earlier, Huby is STATISTICALLY the best kicker on the team so it makes sense to have him kick when he IS on the field untill we sign a back of some description who can kick goals OR a 2nd who can last the full 80 as some still can

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 06 Jul 2008, 21:18

The Fox wrote:I agree but if you look at what i said earlier, Huby is STATISTICALLY the best kicker on the team so it makes sense to have him kick when he IS on the field untill we sign a back of some description who can kick goals OR a 2nd who can last the full 80 as some still can
There lies the problem........ where was Huby when we got a penalty in the 2nd half against Leeds? Ah I know, he was off the pitch.

Doesn't matter how good his conversion rate is, when ever he's off the pitch someone else has to have a go and that often results in missed opportunities. Yes we need to sign an 80 minute player as a front line kicker, but until we do I think a fit Dixon should be given the job.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 06 Jul 2008, 21:25

Steadman_4_PM wrote:
The Fox wrote:I agree but if you look at what i said earlier, Huby is STATISTICALLY the best kicker on the team so it makes sense to have him kick when he IS on the field untill we sign a back of some description who can kick goals OR a 2nd who can last the full 80 as some still can
There lies the problem........ where was Huby when we got a penalty in the 2nd half against Leeds? Ah I know, he was off the pitch.

Doesn't matter how good his conversion rate is, when ever he's off the pitch someone else has to have a go and that often results in missed opportunities. Yes we need to sign an 80 minute player as a front line kicker, but until we do I think a fit Dixon should be given the job.
Youve misinterpretted what i said if Dixon is as good a kicker as you claim and huby is the most acurate stats-wise then why cant you accept huby kicking if hes on the field but dixon being capable to kick when called upon surley him being a 1st choice kicker will not make him more accurate than if hes 2nd choice

Johnny Burrell
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Johnny Burrell » 06 Jul 2008, 22:00

Craig Huby is the best goalkicker at the club (thats my opinion anyway)

BE LOYAL, BE LOUD, BE CAS BE PROUD!
WE STILL DREAM OF A TEAM OF NICK FOZZARD'S

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 06 Jul 2008, 22:02

He may well be - but I've never seen him kick one from the bench

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 06 Jul 2008, 22:25

The Fox wrote:Youve misinterpretted what i said if Dixon is as good a kicker as you claim and huby is the most acurate stats-wise then why cant you accept huby kicking if hes on the field but dixon being capable to kick when called upon surley him being a 1st choice kicker will not make him more accurate than if hes 2nd choice
No I haven't.

Huby could kick at 80% but if only spends 50 minutes on the pitch then someone else has to kick any opportunities we get in the rest of the game.

Kickers tend to improve their consistency the more they kick....and presumably the more they practice. Looking at Dixon's technique, I see no reason why he can't more than match Huby's kicking if given the job full time.

End of the day, do any other SL clubs employ multiple kickers?