Kicking for two

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mr. Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Kicking for two

Post by Mr. Tiger » 07 Jul 2008, 11:17

when will we leanr to run the power plays. we missed two simple kicks yesterday and as the preceeding week the oposition went up the field and scored on the back of a missed penalty kick.

this tactic nees addressing as a matter of urgency.

never will i say we coughed up an easy 2 points for choosing to go for a try and failing as we clearly demonstate week after week that we do not posses the personnel who can convert the penalties into 2 points.

superleague08
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by superleague08 » 07 Jul 2008, 11:46

it also happened at leeds the week before and then lee smith went on to score

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Kicking for two

Post by Bengal » 07 Jul 2008, 12:08

Mr. Tiger wrote:when will we leanr to run the power plays. we missed two simple kicks yesterday and as the preceeding week the oposition went up the field and scored on the back of a missed penalty kick.

never will i say we coughed up an easy 2 points for choosing to go for a try and failing as we clearly demonstate week after week that we do not posses the personnel who can convert the penalties into 2 points.
To be honest Mr T I had no problem with them going for them yesterday. They were comfortable kicks and should have been kicked. I am a great believer in playing to the situation and the situation yesterday demanded we go for them. We were 12 points up on both of them, so a succesful penalty would have put us 3 scores in front, and also the first miss was only a few minutes before half time. That one also didn't cost us at all, because we immediately scored a try and conversion from the resulting drop out. So in hindsight I was glad he missed it.

The second one did cost us, because they went up field and scored after we lost possession from the drop out, on the first or second tackle. If we had been only say 2, 3 or 4 points up on that, or say 8 or 9, I would have entirely agreed with you and gone for the power play. But it would have put us 3 scores up and that would have put the game to bed.

For me it wasn't the decision that was wrong, but the missing of the simple kick, and the subsequent coughing up of the ball immediately from the drop out. That was the poor bit and you can't legislate for that.
Last edited by Bengal on 07 Jul 2008, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

Jack Bauer
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Jack Bauer » 07 Jul 2008, 12:08

But when we chose to run it against Wakefield the team was criticised.

Skip
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Skip » 07 Jul 2008, 12:18

At the end of the day it's all about percentage rugby.

The kicks really should have been made, and we shouldn't have spilled posession.

There's much more chance of getting 2 from a penalty situation than getting 4. And in tight games where neither side is threatening to break the line and score, 2 points is a smart option.

Not to mention either way you get the ball back (unless you somehow manage to totally screw it up!) and that means repeat sets...

We just need to nail down who is kicking goals...
Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?

There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I walk that line every day.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 07 Jul 2008, 12:49

That's the point skip. No problem with going for two points but we should have a kicker who can complete the task!

Listening to Radio Leeds yesterday, TM said Joe isn't happy at taking the kicks which seems a shame as he always looked quality in the junior ranks.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Skip
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Skip » 07 Jul 2008, 12:54

Joe is probably not happy taking kicks because he's probably feeling the pressure a little.

It is asking a bit much of a young lad to come in and take the pressure of being the person to either win us or lose us a game...

Definitely need to look into who is kicking goals though.

If we had gotten games sewn up and there were conversion attempts to make, then i'd give Joe a shot at them - try build his confidence up. Till then, we need someone who can kick well under pressure.
Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?

There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I walk that line every day.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 07 Jul 2008, 12:55

Flat Capper wrote:That's the point skip. No problem with going for two points but we should have a kicker who can complete the task!

Listening to Radio Leeds yesterday, TM said Joe isn't happy at taking the kicks which seems a shame as he always looked quality in the junior ranks.
I may be shot down for this,

Joe Westerman has just been given a decent contract and one of his attributes is Goal Kicking, If he is told to kick he should do it, Whether he likes it or not

Although the 2 penalties Dixon missed were laughable, I arent a bad kicker like so i would have landed them and tbh Westy would have kicked them with his eyes closed
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 07 Jul 2008, 15:42

Imo whoever is the better kicker takes the kicks and to me that should be joe.
He is the best goal kicker at the club, though huby comes very close.
Looks to me even dixon is feeling the pressure.

fenton
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: AFenton90

Post by fenton » 07 Jul 2008, 15:58

Cant believe were talking about this.

When we didnt go for 2 v wigan we moan, when we go for 2 v HKR we also moan. :roll: :roll:

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 07 Jul 2008, 16:00

i dont think there is a problem if we kick the goals,the problems arise when we miss the kicks that any half decent goal kicker would get.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 07 Jul 2008, 17:57

We would'nt miss kicks if we had ..

WAYNE BARTRIM

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Kicking for two

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Jul 2008, 20:52

Mr. Tiger wrote:when will we leanr to run the power plays. we missed two simple kicks yesterday and as the preceeding week the oposition went up the field and scored on the back of a missed penalty kick.

Erm, we scored a try almost immediately after the Dixon missed his 1st kick in the 1st half. Had he slotted the 2 points over, we'd have passed up on an other 4.

Yes I think we should be better at knowing when to take the 2 and when to kick to touch, but providing you kick the ball dead then you get it back. Not a bad tactic IMO.
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"