Today's rugby papers report that...

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
theboyem
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by theboyem » 07 Jul 2008, 22:03

Wakefield have kept reapplying for planning permision to build on Belle Vue for years in order to enhance the value of the ground. Things though have moved on apace recently and enhanced planning permission has been sought and a final deision is awaited.

http://planning.wakefield.gov.uk/public ... ype=WEEKLY

speedy
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: @casrlfc

Post by speedy » 07 Jul 2008, 22:09

theboyem wrote:Wakefield have kept reapplying for planning permision to build on Belle Vue for years in order to enhance the value of the ground. Things though have moved on apace recently and enhanced planning permission has been sought and a final deision is awaited.

http://planning.wakefield.gov.uk/public ... ype=WEEKLY
Its in for planning correct, but it hasnt been given as yet,

but hey good luck to them

tigersimon
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tigersimon » 07 Jul 2008, 22:14

Maybe there's no franchise for them so it's NL1 and a ground share with the Rovers ha ha.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 07 Jul 2008, 22:15

Steady, I am of the same opinion as you as regards the relative size of the Cas and Wakey grounds. I have had a look at Belle Vue and in the absence of the actual deeds the area is basically the stadium and the small carpark adjacent Doncaster Road. Unless they own residential properties around the ground and the bowling hall or whatever it is now then the area is only 1.9 hectares

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Jul 2008, 22:18

alftupper wrote:Steady, I am of the same opinion as you as regards the relative size of the Cas and Wakey grounds. I have had a look at Belle Vue and in the absence of the actual deeds the area is basically the stadium and the small carpark adjacent Doncaster Road. Unless they own residential properties around the ground and the bowling hall or whatever it is now then the area is only 1.9 hectares
Add to that fella, I'm not even sure they own their ground. If they do, they've surely had a fair amount of debt written off.....

Can't see them owning / having rights to residential properties near by...... nor can I really see someone buying those to re develop.

Oh and you best watch out all this agreeing with me. ;)
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

Trailer trash
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Trailer trash » 07 Jul 2008, 22:20

I saw a copy of said e-mail on Sunday but I would find it remarkable if a company like Cala homes took on a scheme like that in the current market conditions. They have built a few houses near me in Kippax and it seems thay are struggling to shift them which may be irrelevant, but working in the construction industry, it is not a time for medium sizes house builders to take on large schemes like this.

Consort homes for instance went bust a short time ago (and they owed us money!) and another housebuilder which I won't name, have declared to us they are struggling to pay us and have shelved their next scheme until they shift their current crop of built houses. Many others, the size of Cala, are shutting regional offices and making people redundant left , right and centre. As stated on the national news, Taylor Wimpy, Persimmon and Barratts are all making large redundancies and shelving projects until the market improves.

Boom
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Boom » 07 Jul 2008, 22:26

Steady - The Wildcat's did sell the ground to the Council but then bought it back for next to nothing. This all happened a fair number of years ago.

The application is definitely from Cala Homes (Yorkshire) Ltd.

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 07 Jul 2008, 22:38

I would not for one minute dispute what brayton and their kid have said or discovered, but I am absolutely gobsmacked by the statement that Wakey are having their ground demolished and are moving out by the end of the year. Pray anyone tell me where to? It must be Barnsley football ground or something because they are well off getting their new ground yet, and in fact are well behind us with it's development.

It was also reported on one of the Wakey sites 3 or 4 weeks ago that they were having part of Belle Vue developed in order to raise it's capacity. A pretty strange thing to do if they are having it demolished by the end of the year.

Their prospective new ground at Thornes Park has only recently had a feasibility study completed. As far as I am aware they are only in the early stages of trying to gain initial planning permission which we have course have got. The projected Thornes Park site is of course in the middle of a park, not far from the centre of the city and as such is facing a wave of opposition, particularly as it sits upon residential property. I think it will almost certainly face a public enquiry. The last time I spoke about it, to any meaningful council official he told me that even if it went ahead, which is questionable, it would be three years at the very least.

So again the question is, if they are having BV demolished by the end of the year, where the hell are they immediately moving to, as it certainly won't be Thornes Park, that's for sure.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

Boom
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Boom » 07 Jul 2008, 22:45

Bengal - I think your right there's no chance of this happening before the end of the year. Planning permission to demolish Belle Vue has not yet been agreed. Given the present climate and the location of the ground on one of the main entry and exit roads to the city, it's going to take some time before anything happens.

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 07 Jul 2008, 22:48

Doesn't planning permission have a certain timescale where you can build on it, say it expires after 2 years.

Therefore is it plausible that Cala homes have bought Belle Vue off Wakefield, and given them tenancy until 2010/2011 when the new stadium is built.

It also gives chance for the housing market and current financial climate to rehabilitate before Cala Homes commit to building housing.

Wakefield are happy, Cala are happy. Wakefield also have significant money to put into a nice bank account to gain some interest on, while also being able to commit a certain amount to the squad next season.
--------------------------------------------------------
ACCOUNT CLOSED WITH OWNERS PERMISSION

chuckaneppy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chuckaneppy » 07 Jul 2008, 23:18

Boom wrote:Bengal - I think your right there's no chance of this happening before the end of the year. Planning permission to demolish Belle Vue has not yet been agreed. Given the present climate and the location of the ground on one of the main entry and exit roads to the city, it's going to take some time before anything happens.
Just checked the planning application on the WMDC site. If you check the key dates it suggests a determination on 19.8.2008.

I have to say I find this a little worrying that they have suddenly got to potentially having full planning permission by this time whilst we are no further forward than outline planning permission and no indication of when we will apply for full planning. Certainly appears to leap-frog them over us.

I find the reported £8m sale hard to believe though, in the current climate unless the deal was actually done some time ago.

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 07 Jul 2008, 23:20

No it doesn't. That's the planning permission for the building of houses on Belle Vue.

Nothing to do with their new ground.
--------------------------------------------------------
ACCOUNT CLOSED WITH OWNERS PERMISSION

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 07 Jul 2008, 23:22

Well again I was told by a pretty much high ranking council official that we're well in front of them as regards the ground and ours is not due to be completed until the middle of the 2010 season at the earliest. He's very genuine, always been right before, and I'm sure that's certainly the case. I personally, from what I've heard and been told, think that the Thornes Park stadium in all likelihood won't go ahead. Not saying for definite, but that's what I think. Maybe Wakey have a plan B and are ready to unleash another site on us.

There of course is another possibility, not for one minute saying though that it's the case. All this is coming out just before the franchises are announced and maybe its a bit of kidology by Wakey to try to dupe the RFL into thinking they are on the verge of getting a new ground, and things are really getting moving for them. Using maybe some of their many influences within the council. I say this, because if you remember earlier in the season after they played Salford, Kear had a 'we want a franchise' outburst. I think at that time the RFL were distinctly unimpressed by their new ground claims, and maybe this is a ploy to try to convince them otherwise.

It won't be the first time they've done it. When they got promoted to SL in 1998 they technically should have not been accepted into SL as Belle Vue was well below the ground requirements for SL. They convinced the RFL that they had grandiose plans and developments for it and that within 3 or 4 years it would be unrecognisable from what it currently was. Apart from basic safety requirements they never carried out the promises. Much to the annoyance of Fev by the way, who they beat in the final, and whom had already built a new stand and carried out great improvements to their own ground.

I've nothing against Wakey by the way and I hope they along with us eventually get a new ground and we both become prominent SL teams. Obviously them behind us. I'm just saying it as I see it.
Last edited by Bengal on 07 Jul 2008, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 07 Jul 2008, 23:26

Boom wrote:Bengal - I think your right there's no chance of this happening before the end of the year. Planning permission to demolish Belle Vue has not yet been agreed. Given the present climate and the location of the ground on one of the main entry and exit roads to the city, it's going to take some time before anything happens.
I don't think there's any chance of BV being demolished for at least 3 years, unless they ground share with someone else, or can unbelievably fast track another site through.

chuckaneppy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chuckaneppy » 07 Jul 2008, 23:27

Fully wrote:No it doesn't. That's the planning permission for the building of houses on Belle Vue.

Nothing to do with their new ground.
Yes true, fair point.

Panic over.

Di
Verified
Twitter: @diddididi64

Post by Di » 07 Jul 2008, 23:31

Bengal wrote: There of course is another possibility, not for one minute saying though that it's the case. All this is coming out just before the franchises are announced and maybe its a bit of kidology by Wakey to try to dupe the RFL into thinking they are on the verge of getting a new ground, and things are really getting moving for them. Using maybe some of their many influences within the council. I say this, because if you remember earlier in the season after they played Salford, Kear had a 'we want a franchise' outburst. I think at that time the RFL were distinctly unimpressed by their new ground claims, and maybe this is a ploy to try to convince them otherwise.
highly likely, I found Kears outburst cringeworthy, totally embarassing

I know for a fact we are well in front of Wakey as you have stated

There is also a huge amount of objections to the proposed Thornes Park site, I used to work on Horbury road and the home owners down there complian thyen about the volme of traffic etc... so you just know thewy will be up in arms about a Stadium, being built there, personally for me they have chosen completely the wrong site to go for.
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 08 Jul 2008, 00:52

I haven't checked the Pussy planning application yet but as far as i can make out, it is more than Cas have for WR.

Furthermore, the apparent deal with a builder is more or less the same as that reported to have been struck by Cas.

Therefore, Wakey are ahead of Cas on their current grounds but clearly some way behind on a new one.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Wicksy
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Wicksy » 08 Jul 2008, 01:10

Flat Capper wrote:I haven't checked the Pussy planning application yet but as far as i can make out, it is more than Cas have for WR.

Furthermore, the apparent deal with a builder is more or less the same as that reported to have been struck by Cas.

Therefore, Wakey are ahead of Cas on their current grounds but clearly some way behind on a new one.
One with, and one without . I really hope this get's major air time . :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Maybe they don't want to stand down because they want to rectify the mistakes they've made in seasons gone by.

tigertrike
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tigertrike » 08 Jul 2008, 06:27

Bengal wrote:
I don't think there's any chance of BV being demolished for at least 3 years, unless they ground share with someone else, or can unbelievably fast track another site through.
Being demolished in three years? it may have fallen down by then..
just because better people than you have tried and failed, it does'nt mean you shouldn't try...

Far Eastern Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Far Eastern Tiger » 08 Jul 2008, 07:03

Regardless of the cost of selling the ground, if they have actually sold it, there is still a huge defecit between the 8 million or so quoted & the probable 15 million needed !

To accomodate all their support I suppose they could go all seater and but half a dozen sofas from DFS ! :D
'What she read over heavy books she'd sit & prophisise, it took a tattoo'd boy from Birkenhead to really, really open her eyes !'