Franchise updates and news [Keep all posts in here]

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Nev
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nev » 22 Jul 2008, 10:54

Summary of franchises
BRADFORD BULLS
The Coral Stand offers good hospitality but the remainder of the stadium requires improvement and there are some development plans. The club has historic and projected profits and operates without the need for shareholder support. The club is known for its game day experience and has positive brand alignment to national partners. Attendances are not as high as in previous seasons, however the club remains one of the most well supported. Excellent Super League results over the years are backed by a strong playing department, although the club appears to have a slight overseas reliance.

CATALANS DRAGONS
Gilbert Brutus represents a sound functional stadium with further investment planned over the next 12 months. Although there are differences in the formalised game day operations between the countries, the match day experience is positive for supporters. The financial information regarding projections was not as detailed as it could have been and the club has been reliant on shareholder input. A Challenge Cup Final appearance helped the financial position and further capital injection is planned. As was anticipated, the club’s crowds and merchandising have improved considerably over the three year period from a low base before the introduction into Super League. The commercial plan appears reasonable but would have benefited from further evidence. On the playing side, the first team are producing good results and are introducing more French trained players. The club needs to advance its fledgling youth development processes. Commercial success and increased player pool prove that the introduction of a French club into Super League has been vindicated.

CASTLEFORD TIGERS
Whilst well maintained, the ground is limited and old fashioned. However, the club recognise this and has relatively advanced plans for a new stadium. Financial projections are based on the new ground, although there is evidence of a Plan B. The club is well managed financially with limited external borrowings and/or shareholder funds. The club has produced a holistic commercial plan, has a record of commercial achievement and achieves strong support even when relegated. The club’s reasonable playing infrastructure has been hurt by the yo-yo-ing between Super League and National League. The club has maintained youth pathways but has not always been able to secure the best local talent.

CELTIC CRUSADERS
Whilst well maintained, the ground is limited and old fashioned but there is a commitment to immediately enhance the current facilities. In the medium term the club recognises the need to develop a new facility and appears to be working with the local public agencies to deliver this. As with any new venture, financial projections are more subjective but the club has demonstrated financial stability during its progress through the National Leagues. The club has built good relationships with commercial partners and TV channel S4C offers exciting opportunities. There is supportive independent market research for Super League in South Wales, although inevitably this can only be fully tested by the club’s actual participation in the competition. The playing infrastructure is very good in places but the club is understandably at the early stages with its scholarship and academy teams.

FEATHERSTONE ROVERS
Whilst the stadium is well maintained and of a good standard for the National Leagues it would require further investment to achieve Super League minimum standards. The club’s finances appear stable from the information provided. The club has a good community programme and has secured some positive and creative media coverage in the last year. However, the club faces competition for crowds from current Super League clubs within the area. The assessment of the club’s playing strength would have been enhanced by the submission of further evidence. There is a player pathway framework but this would require further investment before it would be considered to be of Super League standard.

HALIFAX RLFC
The club has previously made a good contribution to Super League but is significantly restrained by the incomplete nature of their stadium. This makes financial projections and marketing plans difficult to produce with any degree of certainty. Player development structures would require further investment before they could be considered of a Super League standard. However the club’s first team performances are consistently at the higher end of National League 1 over recent seasons.

HARLEQUINS RL
The Stoop provides good facilities across the board. The club relies on significant shareholder support and is seeking additional investment. Crowds have fluctuated and the club is looking to increase attendances on the back of stability in a good stadium. The recently appointed new management is tapping into a large catchment area and making the most of a robust community programme. The club has been reasonably successful in Super League and has a well resourced playing department. There are emerging local players but the club’s juniors are not yet regularly attracting national honours.

HUDDERSFIELD GIANTS
The stadium is an excellent 13 year old facility despite the absence of some facilities that a new build might have. The club has a dependency on shareholder support and will need to deliver on a strong commercial plan to achieve the projected increases in turnover and profitability. Attendances have improved significantly since a Challenge Cup Final appearance and with the recruitment of key commercial and marketing staff. The club has invested in the first team and will need to ensure that scholarship and academy structures are sufficient to produce Club Trained players.

HULL FC
The club plays in an excellent stadium and has high attendances. The club is well organised in all areas of marketing - particularly its community and Customer Relationship Management programmes – and is commercially strong. The club has historic and projected profits and operates with little external financial input. Despite a recent dip in playing form this season the club achieves high marks in most areas of playing strength.

HULL KINGSTON ROVERS
This is the club’s second year in Super League and it is showing strong potential. The club has invested significantly in improving its facilities, much of which is behind the scenes. Further significant developments are planned. This commendable investment has required, and will continue to require, strong financial management. The club’s commercial plan is well thought through and logical and its community work is achieving results. The assessment of the club’s player performance strategy would have been enhanced by the submission of further evidence, particularly with Academy Reserves but there is a growing infrastructure since promotion to Super League.

LEEDS RHINOS
An example of an older stadium that has had significant improvements, with more planned. The club has historic and projected profits and strong net assets. Commercially the club has produced good results and they achieve high attendances. The club’s playing record speaks for itself and the club is producing quality Club Trained players.

LEIGH CENTURIONS
The new stadium is close to opening. Inspection of the current site, together with a review of the current plans, suggests that it will be an excellent facility. The new stadium provides the basis on which the club might develop into a strong candidate for Super League by developing its existing structures in a number of areas. Recruitment will need to take place to help deliver the good, reasoned commercial plan. The club has strong historic and predicted shareholder reliance. Evidence was provided of investment in youth production, which would require further strengthening to achieve Super League standards.

SALFORD CITY REDS
Whilst well maintained, the ground is limited and old fashioned. However, the club recognise this and has relatively advanced plans for a new stadium and are on site. The Willows offers good corporate facilities and disabled facilities. Despite previous relegations from Super League the club has a long history of financial stability. The club’s commercial and marketing plans appear well developed and will allow them to make use of a new stadium and access to the Salford and Manchester conurbations. The club’s player performance strategy is very diligent in every area and there is a strong infrastructure although the club currently struggle with under 16 player development.

ST HELENS
The ground is an old and tired stadium. However, a new stadium is planned and has recently secured planning permission. The club’s financial position and commercial activities are constrained by the current stadium. Financial plans are based around a new facility. The club is a market leader in merchandise. On the playing side, the club has a strong infrastructure and again are market leaders in junior production.

TOULOUSE OLYMPIQUE
The club would offer geographic expansion and independent market research shows some support for Super League in Toulouse. Despite the club’s commendable commitment to player production there is a concern that it has a limited supply of Super League standard player talent in the area. The club has established strong business links and is well placed for commercial development, although the club would need to work hard to meet its financial projections. The application proposed using two quality facilities whilst the club’s own ground was being redeveloped.

WAKEFIELD TRINITY WILDCATS
Whilst well maintained, the ground is limited and old fashioned. However, the club recognise this and have plans for a new stadium. These are not as far advanced as might be the case despite projected occupation by 2010 and evidence of a Plan B would have been beneficial. There is good progress within community development and attendances are improving. Evidence of specific commercial measurable targets with the commercial strategy would have assisted. There has been a recent improvement on the pitch and increased investment in the playing department. Youth development works reasonably well and pre-16 players are attracting national honours but the club has not always been able to retain the best local talent.

WARRINGTON WOLVES
The club plays in a quality new stadium which in all but one or two aspects is excellent. Further ground improvements are planned and although financial projections are challenging, the club has a good record in this area. The club has strong sponsorship packages and a good commercial plan. The club has performed reasonably well in Super League and has invested well in its playing infrastructure and now needs to start contesting major finals and semi-finals. At this stage it is not yet developing Club Trained internationals.

WIDNES VIKINGS
The stadium is an appropriate size and well appointed following significant investment in recent years. The club has been in the difficult position of seeking to take into account the club’s historical attendance and playing records but naturally distancing itself from the previous regime’s financial record. The current company has only been in existence for a few months following insolvency in October 2007. Early indications are that under new ownership the club has made very good progress so far and has attracted good sponsors and the support of the local authority. The club has maintained a reasonable playing infrastructure despite being in the National League but this would require further investment to ensure that they could be competitive in Super League particularly within Club Trained rules.

WIGAN WARRIORS
The club is playing in an excellent stadium and attracts good attendances. There is currently some reliance on the new majority shareholder. The club has strong commercial plans and is a market leader in many aspects of marketing and commercial activity. The club has had what it will view as disappointing Super League results in recent seasons and now seems to be making use of its excellent playing infrastructure. The club achieves national honours at scholarship level and has expressed commitment to converting more into the first team squad.

Bigwig
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bigwig » 22 Jul 2008, 11:22

speedy wrote:Well, RW hasnt done that bad now has he !!!!!
Deary me to day off we go. I am absolutely over the moon we have got in, but the very fact that I am over the moon shows just how precarious our chances had become. The operative words being had become.

Had we knocked on from where we were when the McDonalds left seven to eight years ago we would have been an absolute shoe in. instead we have been subject to years of small mindedness, ineptness and dithering that have reduced the franchise decision to one of great relief than that of what it should have been, an absolute formality.

This has been brought home considerably when for weeks we have been told that the only two current SL clubs under threat have been us and Wakefield. that question was even posed to Richard Lewis on sky sports immediately after the decision and judging by his comments the only thing that got us in was the new stadium. the only thing that has got Wakefield in is obviously their massive improvement on the playing side.

It has come to something when there were no doubts whatsoever about Hull KR yet great ones about us, bearing in mind where they were a few years ago and where we were. We now need to start getting the right personnel and professionals in if we do not want to go through the traumas again in three years time.

Let us hope now that the powers that be start to get their act together and ensure that in three years time we will be a formality, not having peoples nerves on edge again.

I am not holding my breath though judging by some of our recruiment activities for next season. the latest is a definite offer for a player from another SL club who can only be described as run of the mill. If i told you he was very nearly playing in NL2 last season you will probably know who i mean.

This club has the potential to go places so i do hope that Richard will now learn from his previous errors and bungles, cast aside any favouritism and apply the necessary surgery to ensure the marvellous fans are all happy bunnies for years to come. If he does that he will get the backslaps from me no problem, but not until.
Last edited by Bigwig on 22 Jul 2008, 11:32, edited 2 times in total.

speedy
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: @casrlfc

Post by speedy » 22 Jul 2008, 11:29

casyorkie wrote:Sorry speedy you think all is ok with RW now we have a franchise.

I hope he proves me wrong then and things go on from here including the new ground

we will have to wait and see, here's to a brighter future though eh!

Nev
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nev » 22 Jul 2008, 12:01

Leigh Centurions Chief Executive Allan Rowley slams the Celtic Crusaders and franchise decision
Leigh Centurions Chief Executive Allan Rowley slams the Celtic Crusaders and franchise decision.

"May we take this opportunity to wish Salford and Celtic all the best but also have to say we are thoroughly disgusted with the Celtic decision we now have a team that fielded 10 overseas players against us because they are classed as a development team and are now in our elite competition which is a complete contradiction of terms and we feel this decision is purely a geographical one."

"We have nothing at all against the people who run Celtic, they can only do what they do within the laws of the game but the decision makers should hang their heads in shame."

"We know that there is no system for appealing but we are definitely going to ask the RFL how Celtic ticked more boxes than us we owe that to the public of Leigh."

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 22 Jul 2008, 12:10

danny lad wrote:expecting a few signings to be announced for next year in next few weeks!
where have I heard that before?

Di
Verified
Twitter: @diddididi64

Post by Di » 22 Jul 2008, 12:22

told you I wasn't worried :lol: :lol: :lol:
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 22 Jul 2008, 12:59

Today is one of celebration but the hard work starts now. We HAVE a stadium to build and a competitive squad to assemble. RW has given every indication both are in the offing so your head now rests on those blocks. Failure in either and you should leave, this franchise should not secure your future. It's a tad brighter but not yet glowing.

Personally, I'm no more confident now than I was 24 hours ago but I can only play with the cards I'm dealt.

My feelings go out to Widnes who are far more deserving of a spot than Celtic. Indeed, I would have put Leigh above the Welsh fobsters as well.

PS, is there any real need for a party?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

fenton
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: AFenton90

Post by fenton » 22 Jul 2008, 13:01

Flat Capper wrote:
Yes.

fenton
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by fenton » 22 Jul 2008, 13:03

So next year:

Scotland, Wales, London, France.....surprised Whitehaven didn't apply, im sure they would have got in. :roll:

Not too happy that Celtic got in ahead of Widnes, it makes our game look pathetic.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 22 Jul 2008, 13:04

fenton wrote:
Flat Capper wrote:
Yes.
Yes but you drink for drinkings sake. ;)

I simply believe it's a time for quiet celebration of a battle won but a war to complete.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Skip
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Skip » 22 Jul 2008, 13:05

Do you know what i've realised?

Flat Capper is right here with his last point: There really shouldn't be a party.

It just goes to show how low we have sunk as a club when we are ecstatic at being 'allowed' to compete in the top flight of Rugby League. Once upon a time we would be in a position to demand a place and it would be our right - not a privilege as it seems to be today.

I'm happy that we've managed to consolidate our position in SL for another 3 years, but the hard work comes now as if we don't take massive strides forward, in 3 years we will not be as successful.

This is what I would consider to be the first rung on the ladder. Now we have to climb it...
Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?

There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I walk that line every day.

fenton
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by fenton » 22 Jul 2008, 13:08

Theyre only putting on a party cos they now il be there to drink all there ale. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S, rich....if you read this....you out tonight? ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Skip
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Skip » 22 Jul 2008, 13:50

Let's put things into perspective:

Q: Are successful clubs safe for three years?

A: A licence will initially be for three years but the RFL board will have the right to revoke a club's membership at any time. Reasons could include insolvency, contractual breach, persistent under performance and persistent rule-breaking.

Any failing club who has its membership removed could be replaced by a successful club from outside Super League.

We may be celebrating, but there is every reason for us to be concerned here. If we don't make massive strides forward you can bet that the RFL won't hesitate to replace us.
Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?

There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I walk that line every day.

Jack Bauer
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Jack Bauer » 22 Jul 2008, 13:54

I personally feel if we keep going forward we will be fine. The RFL have done their job now i can't see them wanting to change anything major in the next 3 years. they will just issue warning to clubs they feel might be lagging a bit behind.

i also feel the statement is more to show the clubs that missed out a little ray of light.

Jack Bauer
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Jack Bauer » 22 Jul 2008, 14:10

I have listened to Richard Lewis on a couple of interviews today and they always get round to Castleford's stadium. He mentions that if the new stadium doesn't materialise we have a plan B, this must be to do with the Jungle, dose anyone have any ideas what plan B is.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 22 Jul 2008, 14:11

Jack Bauer wrote:I have listened to Richard Lewis on a couple of interviews today and they always get round to Castleford's stadium. He mentions that if the new stadium doesn't materialise we have a plan B, this must be to do with the Jungle, dose anyone have any ideas what plan B is.
There are plans in place to increase the jungles capacity to 12'000 which would gain us an extra point on the criteria - but the stadium will go ahead
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

Half Acres Halfwit
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Half Acres Halfwit » 22 Jul 2008, 15:11

Thank god it`s been announced and we`re in.Thanks to all for the texts from everyone around 10:00 this morning,I was sleeping after a 12hr night shift and needed the alarm call :D :D :D :D

HEY YOU GU-UYS!!

wastedyears1981
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Eating a baloo burger in the WRE behind the sticks.

Post by wastedyears1981 » 22 Jul 2008, 15:38

And its no way never ....no way never no more .... will we play the fev rovers .... this decade .... no more.

WE ARE SUPER LEAGUE ..... ALWAYS HAVE ..... AND ALWAYS WILL BE!!!!!

COME ON TIIIIIGEEEERRRRRRS!!!!!!

wooohoooo :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Time is a great healer, unless its a rash. Then your better off with ointment - Holly, Red Dwarf

Jack Bauer
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Jack Bauer » 22 Jul 2008, 15:40

wastedyears1981 wrote:And its no way never ....no way never no more .... will we play the fev rovers .... this decade .... no more.

WE ARE SUPER LEAGUE ..... ALWAYS HAVE ..... AND ALWAYS WILL BE!!!!!

COME ON TIIIIIGEEEERRRRRRS!!!!!!

wooohoooo :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Don't count your chickens.

Always the Challenge Cup and the friendlies.

Jack Bauer
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Jack Bauer » 22 Jul 2008, 15:44