another long journey

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
solsfire
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: another long journey

Post by solsfire » 22 Jul 2008, 16:09

tigerman1 wrote:well im a bit peeved that crusaders are in over Widnes ok yes i understand widnes went into administration, but by god another long trip costing fans even more money in traveling/funding watching their clubs away......... i just think its folly to have them in expansion at all costs if you ask me, all i will add is Cas best make sure they have a new ground and a half decent team by the next bids cos if not were out on our ears, tolouse widnes etc....wakey will go deffo if they aint got a ground sorted and i dont honestly think they will have.
Better get that chip oil filtered then ?

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 22 Jul 2008, 16:10

tigerman1 wrote:but and heres the question i would like to know, are they going to be allowed to bring in Aussies by the bus load because they are classed as a developing club once again giving them an advantage over other teams like we see how they are in NL1 not that they have actually set the league on fire.... or are ALL teams in the superduper league to play off a level playing field, except ofcourse the piecheaters who do what they like when they have to
I do think they will bring in more aussies becase to be honest there starting 13 don't shout out Welsh talent! so it will be interesting to see who they buy.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 22 Jul 2008, 16:12

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:
tigerman1 wrote:but and heres the question i would like to know, are they going to be allowed to bring in Aussies by the bus load because they are classed as a developing club once again giving them an advantage over other teams like we see how they are in NL1 not that they have actually set the league on fire.... or are ALL teams in the superduper league to play off a level playing field, except ofcourse the piecheaters who do what they like when they have to
I do think they will bring in more aussies becase to be honest there starting 13 don't shout out Welsh talent! so it will be interesting to see who they buy.

But on another note seriously can anyone see Celtic getting more than 4,000 attendances? because at minute there only getting between 800-1,000! and Richard Lewis said this morning he wants to see good rugby in front of MASSIVE crowds!

Bomber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bomber » 22 Jul 2008, 16:18

We may aswell enjoy our long journeys for the next few years because if expansion does work well there wont be many more years in the elite league for the smaller heartland clubs like Cas in the future,
We have already sacrificed great clubs of the past to accomadate far flung clubs and now poor old Widnes have been cut adrift. I really feel for their lyal supporters and if we hadn't have gained promotion last season we would have been in their position.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 22 Jul 2008, 16:20

Bomber wrote:We may aswell enjoy our long journeys for the next few years because if expansion does work well there wont be many more years in the elite league for the smaller heartland clubs like Cas in the future,
We have already sacrificed great clubs of the past to accomadate far flung clubs and now poor old Widnes have been cut adrift. I really feel for their lyal supporters and if we hadn't have gained promotion last season we would have been in their position.
Thats true that!

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 22 Jul 2008, 16:31

Bomber wrote:We may aswell enjoy our long journeys for the next few years because if expansion does work well there wont be many more years in the elite league for the smaller heartland clubs like Cas in the future,
agree with all of this.

we may be celebrating today but the writing is on the wall for Cas.

tigerman1
League One Player
League One Player

Post by tigerman1 » 22 Jul 2008, 17:42

Give over Solsfire I cannot use chip fat anymore not now I own precision engineered German motor, instead of a gas guzzling toyota tractor
A win a win my kingdom for a win

AVM a much misunderstood and unknown condition http://www.avmsupport.org.uk/

I wished my bank balance was a big as our points against

have you ever seen comical Ali and RW in the same room... didnt think so.

open your mind but especially your eyes

Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aid » 22 Jul 2008, 18:00

Whilst I have a huge amount of sympathy for Widnes fans (there for the grace of God etc) having Celtic Crusaders in Super League will be good for the greatest game.

Unlike most of England, and indeed Scotland, Rugby Union in Wales is not a class based game. It is played throughout the land by working class lads.(and lasses)

Celtic Crusders open up another path down which young talented lads can get paid for playing rugby.

The profile that Celtic will get in Super League will convince many of them to turn to RL.
cum on you Ford

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 22 Jul 2008, 18:03

Aid wrote:Whilst I have a huge amount of sympathy for Widnes fans (there for the grace of God etc) having Celtic Crusaders in Super League will be good for the greatest game.

Unlike most of England, and indeed Scotland, Rugby Union in Wales is not a class based game. It is played throughout the land by working class lads.(and lasses)

Celtic Crusders open up another path down which young talented lads can get paid for playing rugby.

The profile that Celtic will get in Super League will convince many of them to turn to RL.
I agree in some of the things you say about Wales rugby talent but RU? working class? ...

Gavin Henson?
Martin Williams?
Gethin Jenkins?

Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aid » 22 Jul 2008, 18:27

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:
Aid wrote:Whilst I have a huge amount of sympathy for Widnes fans (there for the grace of God etc) having Celtic Crusaders in Super League will be good for the greatest game.

I agree in some of the things you say about Wales rugby talent but RU? working class? ...

Gavin Henson?
Martin Williams?
Gethin Jenkins?
Even the smallest village has a RU club and everyone plays the farmer and the farmhands,

What about those two hairy beasts Adam and Duncan Jones hardly old Etonians!
cum on you Ford

stevem
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stevem » 22 Jul 2008, 20:09

Skip wrote:It depends on how you look at it.

Celtic Crusaders are only doing what Catalans Dragons started out with: Bringing in Aussies in order to move up and up whilst developing their french talent and helping their french talent become acclimatised to life in SL.

It will help raise the profile of the game in Wales, but really the RFL should not be using that in any way as an invisible tick in the box for them.

In 2/3 years we will definitely see where the Celtic Crusaders plan ends up...

However: Quins have followed this same path and their attendances are dwindling, as is their home-grown local talent coming through the ranks.

But you know what the RFL will say next: We need another team from London/France/Wales in SL to increase the local rivalry to increase attendances even more and raise the profile in those areas...

...You can see where this is going. In order to bring these sides in, you can bet the heartland teams will suffer in return.

What happens in 3 years time when the RFL fancy having an Irish/Scottish club?

I'm a betting man and my moneys on a Scottish club in three years time, hence the RFL move to Edinburgh after their work in Cardiff now has been completed to satisfaction for some!

Bomber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bomber » 22 Jul 2008, 20:20

It will be interesting to see f there are any new additions to the NLs next season, this will give us an idea who the RFL are lining up for the next round in 3 years time, it was rumoured that Toulouse would be invited to join the lower division now the blueprint as been forged by the Crusaders.

speedy
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: @casrlfc

Post by speedy » 22 Jul 2008, 20:22

alftupper wrote:
agree with all of this.

we may be celebrating today but the writing is on the wall for Cas.

Suicidal Tendencies Mate, you need help
Last edited by speedy on 22 Jul 2008, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 22 Jul 2008, 20:24

[quote="Skip"]Nah, Ellis and Devereux are retired - Hell, I played them a couple of years ago!

They do have some talented youngsters coming through the ranks, and it's a development area with lots of rugby players (be it league or union) - Jonathan Davies seems to think that a top flight professional RL club in the area would manage to poach a fair bit of that Welsh RU talent away to RL...

Edit: Just picked out a quote....

“There are hundreds of rugby league players in Wales right now and they will all want to play Super League in Wales and then play for the Welsh national team.

“We have already had 57 Welsh-born players turn out for the club for either the first team or the Colts in the last two years. We have seven home grown squads throughout Wales feeding into the Crusaders and with this decision today, this number will surely grow and the future of rugby league in Wales is now secure.â€
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

Tiger Totty
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tiger Totty » 22 Jul 2008, 20:58

stevem wrote: I'm a betting man and my moneys on a Scottish club in three years time, hence the RFL move to Edinburgh after their work in Cardiff now has been completed to satisfaction for some!
Did you just copy that from my post in the franchise thread!? ;) :shock:

Totty
Rugby Predictions Cup Competition Winner 2006 - Football Predictions Semi-finalist 2007
Premier League Football Predictions Winner 2008 & UEFA EURO Predictions 2008 Winner
RL Grand Finalist Runner-up 2010

wastedyears1981
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Eating a baloo burger in the WRE behind the sticks.

Post by wastedyears1981 » 23 Jul 2008, 17:35

Pushing the game further afield is a good idea and good to see. As a business and as a game its the way forward. The more teams, players and fans we can pull in, the better. Means the sport gets stronger. Just hope its not at he expense of any of the current clubs (except wakey).

Time is a great healer, unless its a rash. Then your better off with ointment - Holly, Red Dwarf