How crucial was getting promotion?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Consultant
Academy Player
Academy Player

How crucial was getting promotion?

Post by Consultant » 22 Jul 2008, 16:47

Always thought our win against Widnes to get promotion was crucial for our SL Franchise bid.

Today's announcement makes me believe even more so.

If we had not got promotion I think we could well have seen our application rejected for SL and we would be where Widnes are now. I do of course make an assumption that Widnes would not have gone into liquidation if they had gained promotion last season instead of ourselves and that their new backer would have assured their solvency.

I doubt very much that the RFL would have kicked Wakey out because of lack of stadium development so as to accommodate us. Celtic were always going to be shoe-horned in and Salford would get it to balance the Lancashire numbers in SL and it is in/near to Manchester with a new Stadium on the horizon.

Anyone else agree?

tigerman1
League One Player
League One Player

Post by tigerman1 » 22 Jul 2008, 16:55

to be fair im sure we all thought our promotion was needed to be assured or atleast improve our chances no end, so yes our final win was immense for us as a club, but the club has been given a olive branch, a chance to solidify, a period where we cannot fail but now must move forward not only with a new ground but with a team worthy of our place in franchise superdupa league, any less and wave bye bye to all that glitters, if the higheracy dont walk the walk aswel as talk the talk we will go down next set of franchise places we all know it, but the people that bring in the players and set up our team must now stop picking unknown aussie wannabe's they must get players who can do not make do, above all else we deserve now a team that matches the fans desire, weve been through the mill as a club for 5 years now we most advance
A win a win my kingdom for a win

AVM a much misunderstood and unknown condition http://www.avmsupport.org.uk/

I wished my bank balance was a big as our points against

have you ever seen comical Ali and RW in the same room... didnt think so.

open your mind but especially your eyes

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: How crucial was getting promotion?

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 22 Jul 2008, 17:40

Consultant wrote:Always thought our win against Widnes to get promotion was crucial for our SL Franchise bid.

Today's announcement makes me believe even more so.

If we had not got promotion I think we could well have seen our application rejected for SL and we would be where Widnes are now. I do of course make an assumption that Widnes would not have gone into liquidation if they had gained promotion last season instead of ourselves and that their new backer would have assured their solvency.

I doubt very much that the RFL would have kicked Wakey out because of lack of stadium development so as to accommodate us. Celtic were always going to be shoe-horned in and Salford would get it to balance the Lancashire numbers in SL and it is in/near to Manchester with a new Stadium on the horizon.

Anyone else agree?
I agree totally i think Widnes still would of got into debt but not enough to cause manjor problems like they have this season, that game against Widnes has basically made us a SL team for 3 years along with our stadium plans and youth development.

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 22 Jul 2008, 17:45

Relegation would have been a blow but not fatal, don't think Cas would have gone into administration like Widnes did, this action severely impacted on Widnes's franchise bid.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 22 Jul 2008, 17:49

Casmania wrote:Relegation would have been a blow but not fatal, don't think Cas would have gone into administration like Widnes did, this action severely impacted on Widnes's franchise bid.
Was watching Sky Sports News and it got round to talking to Widnes Chairman or whoever and he looked as though hed been crying/or was going to cry! i never realised how much SL meant to some teams, especially the teams like us who appreciate the SL whereas teams like Leeds, Saints and Wigan who don't know what RELEGATION means, im so glad we got 1 but there's so much work to be done!

wastedyears1981
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Eating a baloo burger in the WRE behind the sticks.

Post by wastedyears1981 » 22 Jul 2008, 17:49

If we had have not made it through the grand final, I very much doubt we'd have been getting a franchise this season. Two seasons on the trot in NL1 would have been financially devistating for the club, attendance would be down, less revenue from sponsors ect. Which in turn would have shattered any dream of a new stadium. Which are the main reasons we got a licence.

The grand final win was crucial. IMO Widnes havent got anything really going for them,only a glittering past. They were a good club,they did produce excellent players, they were at the top of the game, years ago, but theyve been out of touch for a hell of a long time. Which their money and fans situation shows. I dont think Widnes will ever be financially and even perfomance wise to hack SL. Well not for a long time at least. The decision no to give Widnes a franchise is the right one. They wouldnt be able to hack it, no with the small fan base and lack of money coming in.

At the time it didnt dawn on me how important the match was, until today. One of the most important matches of cas's history and we got to see it. AWESOME!!!

Time is a great healer, unless its a rash. Then your better off with ointment - Holly, Red Dwarf

drleftie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by drleftie » 22 Jul 2008, 19:22

I agree entirely. Giving Widnes a franchise instead of us would have evened out the disparity in the numbers of SL clubs either side of the pennines and solved the problem of two 'small' clubs (Cas & Wakey) being so close together in one fell swoop. What saved us was being an existing SL club- it would have been incredibly difficult for the RFL to decline a franchise for an existing SL club in the middle of the season. No Cas fan should see the franchise system as a good idea, it could so easily have been us crying into our pints tonight.

I think today is a fabulous day for us Cas fans but a sad day for RL. Sport has always been about the best team or player succeeding on merit but there will now be 2 teams (three if you include Harlequins) who are in the top flight for reasons other than their playing performances, and countless others in the lower divisions who have had that opportunity taken away forever. Imagine the outcry if next year someone decided Leeds Utd didn't have to gain promotion but instead were parachuted back into the Premier League on the basis that the facilities and crowds at Elland Rd are better than all those teams above them.

Rich_1
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Rich_1 » 22 Jul 2008, 19:32

drleftie wrote: Imagine the outcry if next year someone decided Leeds Utd didn't have to gain promotion but instead were parachuted back into the Premier League on the basis that the facilities and crowds at Elland Rd are better than all those teams above them.
What an excellent idea :lol: 8)

Bomber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bomber » 22 Jul 2008, 20:12

Totally agree Dreftie, a very sad day for our once great sport. it as now changed from not what happens on the pitch but to who or what you have got.
A victory for all things Aussie/americano.

Landy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Landy » 22 Jul 2008, 20:19

very

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 22 Jul 2008, 20:29

To be honest these franchises werent handed out for what people have done on the pitch, all the hard work, detrmination, commitmen, blood and tears but how a club is managed, its absolute madness and non sence, i feel that RL nowadays isall wrong and to me it will only get worser rather than better, although on a positive this is a great day for Cas and we really neee to push on, we have a good future i can see it!

fig of whitwood
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fig of whitwood » 22 Jul 2008, 20:59

I was told some time ago from a very good source that Cas were assured of a franchise on the back of not proceeding with legal action against Wigan when they overspent.
I'm not saying this is true but as i said 'a very good source'.

wastedyears1981
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Eating a baloo burger in the WRE behind the sticks.

Post by wastedyears1981 » 23 Jul 2008, 17:29

fig of whitwood wrote:I was told some time ago from a very good source that Cas were assured of a franchise on the back of not proceeding with legal action against Wigan when they overspent.
I'm not saying this is true but as i said 'a very good source'.
I heard the same, I cant see it being true though.

Time is a great healer, unless its a rash. Then your better off with ointment - Holly, Red Dwarf

decorator
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by decorator » 23 Jul 2008, 18:55

we could do to hit the ground running for new season...home and away shirts ready before christmas etc. I reckon our last few games could well be busy..get some of our despondent fans back for a final flourish. Must admit I was worried over last few weeks. So...for whatever reason we were given our franchise...bring it on!!!! :D :dance: :clap:

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 24 Jul 2008, 00:07

Sorry fella but for Cas next season I see a nearly new side that will take time to gell. The building process for a competitve side should've started this season so that next year we would have hit the ground running.

It's always one excuse after another with Cas and I'm sure we'd still have got a franchise whatever league we were in this year.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 24 Jul 2008, 00:53

Flat Capper wrote:Sorry fella but for Cas next season I see a nearly new side that will take time to gell. The building process for a competitve side should've started this season so that next year we would have hit the ground running.

It's always one excuse after another with Cas and I'm sure we'd still have got a franchise whatever league we were in this year.
Possibly, Phil Clarke asked Richard Loius tonight on Boots N All about if Widnes had of come up and Cas be in NL1 would Cas have not got one and the answer was not necesserily, Richard Loius said that the fact Widnes went into liquidation was the main factor he didn't say how big but he seemed to hint about 70-80% of the fact and said that Widnes still would of been liquidised even if they had of gotten into SL has they would of had money to pay off debts but still not enough! so thanks to Widnes going bust we have a franchise but im sure there's other positives.