Benji Marshall

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mr XP
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: @nathastbury

Benji Marshall

Post by Mr XP » 28 Jul 2008, 15:43

Heard we are sniffing around him again, we were actually in the hunt to sign him 2 years ago, however due to him having shoulder problems and wests asking for a fee we quelled our interest, now i dont know if this attempt will work, he has had a solid season and remained relatively injury free regarding the shoulder, however his form has not set the NRL alight this season, The Sherwin/marshall combo could set super league alight next year if we get the marshall of 3 years ago.

Thoughts anyone??

Castleford tigers Irish supporters branch

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 28 Jul 2008, 15:59

I remember the rumour about us signing Benji and as you say, at that time he was on fire.

His situation regarding injuries is rather worrying, but a fit and on form Benji Marshall would set Superleague alight, although there's still a risk because of him being so injury prone, I suppose it would depend on whether we are able to write something into his contract to cover ourselves or not, but definitely would take him fit and injury free.
Danny Boy

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 28 Jul 2008, 16:01

No affence to ya mate but NO CHANCE.

He's one of best stand offs in world.

If he came on market every club in NRL and SL would try and go after him.

A big club in NRL will have him if not one of our top clubs in SL.

Unless he mistakes West Tigers for Cas Tigers then thats only way he's coming.

If he doe's come though WOW!

But i would seriously after see him in a Cas shirt on our pitch before i got excited.

big-t
League One Player
League One Player

Post by big-t » 28 Jul 2008, 16:03

Not happening, signed a new contract this year as Sheens wants Ellis to be running off Marshall's short ball into gaps, and is a main part of Wests attack, will not happen.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 28 Jul 2008, 16:05

he`s not the stand off ive heared where after but in the same class,or should i say the stand off who is sniffing around us. ;)

big-t
League One Player
League One Player

Post by big-t » 28 Jul 2008, 16:06

braytontiger wrote:he`s not the stand off ive heared where after but in the same class,or should i say the stand off who is sniffing around us. ;)
That would be Matterson's mate, Lockyer then :lol:

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 28 Jul 2008, 16:06

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:No affence to ya mate but NO CHANCE.

But i would seriously after see him in a Cas shirt on our pitch before i got excited.
Sorry but your opinion of players in the NRL is a little far fetched

Benji Marshall is a very good stand off, But he is very injury prone and this has been his downfall over the last few years - A lot of west fans are considering playing him at Fb and other positions so he cant be a superb 6 -- He would be fantastic in SL yes, But only because the rest arent up to much

As for the chances of him coming to cas - I agree he would be hot property over here if he became available and i doubt we would even go in for him as we cant afford to splash out on many more players of his calibre looking at our rumoured salaries already
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 28 Jul 2008, 16:08

Lockyer i could believe but still don't think it will happen.

Benji is young and very very talented, he's like a Darren Lockyer but much younger, faster and more to him.

I think whole of Cas and SL would of welcomed him but it just would'nt happen.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by dettoriman » 28 Jul 2008, 16:12

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:Lockyer i could believe but still don't think it will happen.

Benji is young and very very talented, he's like a Darren Lockyer but much younger, faster and more to him.

I think whole of Cas and SL would of welcomed him but it just would'nt happen.
My source in Aus says Lockyer recently stated his desire to play in the WC for Australia and see out the last year of his contract over there so this is a nothing rumour now IMO

As for Marshall - he would be welcomed on the correct money - No more
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

Nev
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nev » 28 Jul 2008, 16:58

dettoriman wrote:
WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:No affence to ya mate but NO CHANCE.

Sorry but your opinion of players in the NRL is a little far fetched

Benji Marshall is a very good stand off, But he is very injury prone and this has been his downfall over the last few years - A lot of west fans are considering playing him at Fb and other positions so he cant be a superb 6 -- He would be fantastic in SL yes, But only because the rest arent up to much

As for the chances of him coming to cas - I agree he would be hot property over here if he became available and i doubt we would even go in for him as we cant afford to splash out on many more players of his calibre looking at our rumoured salaries already
I think the reason they were shifting him to FB was so he didn't have to do as much defensive to work in order to protect his shoulder.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 28 Jul 2008, 17:27

Benji is a stand off not a fullback, understandably put him there in defence but in attack noway!

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 28 Jul 2008, 18:49

dettoriman wrote:Sorry but your opinion of players in the NRL is a little far fetched

Benji Marshall is a very good stand off, But he is very injury prone and this has been his downfall over the last few years
I'd agree with that, certainly since Wests won the GF and Benji was the main man he's been out injured for long spells, then back a few games and injured again........... then out of form. Not the player he was.
dettoriman wrote:As for the chances of him coming to cas - I agree he would be hot property over here if he became available and i doubt we would even go in for him as we cant afford to splash out on many more players of his calibre looking at our rumoured salaries already
He's interest SL clubs, but don't think many NRL clubs would be too keen to take him given how many injuries he's had. Saying that though, Wests were happy to sign Matty Head weren't they....... he's the very definition of a crocked player!
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

buck981
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by buck981 » 28 Jul 2008, 19:15

oh good another aussie rumour

why cant we be sniffing around young british talent
Steve - Egg chaser Fan !

Birstalltiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Birstalltiger » 28 Jul 2008, 19:57

Benji has a worse shoulder than me and i have had 3 ops on mine pluss he has lost quite a bit of pace now days and he has fell well down the pecking order in the league of stand offs no thanks.
The best looking Cas fan outside Cas

Bengal
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bengal » 28 Jul 2008, 20:53

Birstalltiger wrote:Benji has a worse shoulder than me and i have had 3 ops on mine pluss he has lost quite a bit of pace now days and he has fell well down the pecking order in the league of stand offs no thanks.
Totally agree with you Birst. When Wests won the Grand Final in 2005 he was the real deal, a super talent. But again what was and what is now, are 2 different things, and to say he's got a dodgy shoulder is a big understatement.

Do research on him and you'll find he's had a catalogue of injuries and operations, so much so that he'd be far more than a risky proposition. In our position, better to get a talent who you know is going to be out on the field and your going to have no problems with injury wise.
So I said to the Taxi driver, "King Edwards Close". He replied "It's alright we'll lose him at the next set of lights".

"If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them" - Wayne Bennett

petercascas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by petercascas » 28 Jul 2008, 20:57

All this talk of FuiFui MoiMoi, Lockier, Benji Marshall e.c.t is laughable. We are talking about cas here!

Dont get me wrong we should be looking for players like this, but our past record doesnt really fill me with any confidence that we will get decent players.

More likely we get ones that are out of favour and pay over the odds for them. Sherwin was playing reserve when we picked him up . Same with this new second row guy that looks likes hes coming over.

Please i dont mean this to be negative but people are setting them selves up for a large fall on recruitment speculation.

Hope im wrong

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by dettoriman » 28 Jul 2008, 21:15

petercascas wrote:All this talk of FuiFui MoiMoi, Lockier, Benji Marshall e.c.t is laughable. We are talking about cas here!

Dont get me wrong we should be looking for players like this, but our past record doesnt really fill me with any confidence that we will get decent players.

More likely we get ones that are out of favour and pay over the odds for them. Sherwin was playing reserve when we picked him up . Same with this new second row guy that looks likes hes coming over.

Please i dont mean this to be negative but people are setting them selves up for a large fall on recruitment speculation.

Hope im wrong
Correction - He started the season in the reserve grade and then after a few games was promoted to the first team where he remained for the rest of the season
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 28 Jul 2008, 22:41

do our forum members trawl through Foxsports and Sydney Morning Herald websites etc to find any NRL players that are unsettled or nearing the end of their contracts and start threads on here linking them to Cas?

is there any basis in fact to these kind of speculations or is it simply pub talk?

Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Fully » 28 Jul 2008, 22:45

Nope - I go on NewsNow see what the news is, and then search on Google News typing in Castleford to see if anything comes up.
--------------------------------------------------------
ACCOUNT CLOSED WITH OWNERS PERMISSION

peter parker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by peter parker » 29 Jul 2008, 14:19

buck981 wrote:oh good another aussie rumour

why cant we be sniffing around young british talent
Unfortunately I can't think of any good young british half backs that might be available.

Tbh, I think the club are doing quite well at the moment with regards to youth recruitment, the fact is though we've got to recruit some quality to help bring those on. If those happen to be from Australia, so be it.