sargant

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
ten
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ten » 11 Aug 2008, 12:31

Danny Boy wrote:Thought Sargeant was excellent, in my opinion a much better prospect than Nutley, who was an out and out grafter, no more strings to his bow, Sargeant has an offload, can bust a tackle or two.
A long way to go, I know, but Mitch looks the part and he's not 100% fit yet.

A great acquisition and well done to whoever managed to get him onboard!

Going off topic slightly, but regarding another prop, I hope the rumours about Korky going to Salford are true - not sure how the quota works if we got rid of Korky, as he's obviously not UK trained- so maybe Ned could replace him?

Ned's got a lot of great attributes and we could do a heck of a lot worse. A few posters have said wait and see if we can get a quality quota player onboard, but we may be gazumped if we dither too long,
I agree. Get rid of korki and keep catic. It's a win-win situation.

decorator
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by decorator » 11 Aug 2008, 12:36

The top tackle in our game according to R Leaguer was that of Sargent and Gutts on Obst. It shows pic of the tackle and a statement that Sarge was involved in all six of the tackles in that set...gotta be some going. If he keeps on like that he will deservedly be a firm fave this season and beyond.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 11 Aug 2008, 15:18

Sarge already looks to be a fan favourite.

Everytime he came back when we had scored all the songs were aimed at him.

And you could tell he loved it.

;)

Beth
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Beth » 11 Aug 2008, 15:23

If you put 110% effort in, your a fan favourite straight away. Now if your like Korkidas on the other hand.. :lol:

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 11 Aug 2008, 15:55

Beth wrote:If you put 110% effort in, your a fan favourite straight away. Now if your like Korkidas on the other hand.. :lol:
Thats so true, if a player is putting his all into the game and for the team, the fans will love him.
Just seen the sargent burst from yesterday game, last time i saw a burst like that i think kevin ward did it.
I'm sure we have a great prospect there.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 11 Aug 2008, 19:58

old cas lass wrote:
Beth wrote:If you put 110% effort in, your a fan favourite straight away. Now if your like Korkidas on the other hand.. :lol:
Thats so true, if a player is putting his all into the game and for the team, the fans will love him.
Just seen the sargent burst from yesterday game, last time i saw a burst like that i think kevin ward did it.
Answer me this, if a player puts 110% effort in but still manages to drop the ball, give away penalties and generally not do so well, are they still a fans favourite?
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

Jazzman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jazzman » 11 Aug 2008, 20:40

A player giving 110% might make some mistakes, but throwing away silly penalties isn't making mistakes, it's just poor play, and that doesn't mean giving 110%.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 11 Aug 2008, 20:49

Jazzman wrote:A player giving 110% might make some mistakes, but throwing away silly penalties isn't making mistakes, it's just poor play, and that doesn't mean giving 110%.
I said giving away penalties, never mentioned them being silly. Any player can be rapped by the ref, 110% effort or not.

And while we're at it, 110% effort is the most ridiculous phrase ever.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 11 Aug 2008, 21:08

110%, 150%, 200% etc has always struck me as sportsmans bulls**t and doesn't make sense, it only serves to illustrate how thick they are and their complete lack of understanding regarding the concept of percentages.

100% effort is the maximum anyone can give, any more is impossible. To quote 110% effort is erroneous and why stop there?

You could say he gave 200% of his half effort or 400% of his quarter effort etc but it would start to get complicated.

best just to stick with good old 100%

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 11 Aug 2008, 21:11

That's something else we agree on..............

Anyways, someone can put in the full 100% and still make mistakes. How often does someone drop the ball when they're trying too hard?

judd23
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by judd23 » 12 Aug 2008, 17:42

rate player
Tigers for the Top 8

Mcgoldrick in Matterson in Board OUT!

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 12 Aug 2008, 17:51

Steadman_4_PM wrote:That's something else we agree on..............

Anyways, someone can put in the full 100% and still make mistakes. How often does someone drop the ball when they're trying too hard?
It does happen, some people are so focused on trying that hard that they forget the basics of rugby and start to lose concentration.

Sometimes playing at 100% isn't good for an individual as they can sometimes lose the concentration of the team.

Whereas a full team putting in 100% can benefit everyone.

Like Saints for example!

cutsyke tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cutsyke tiger » 12 Aug 2008, 17:54

old cas lass wrote:
I seem to recollect nathon sykes used to give 100% every week but don't recollect him being anyones favourite :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ten
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ten » 12 Aug 2008, 17:55

putting in 100% isnt everything. talent is a huge factor also. however, 100% effort must be made a minimum expectation.

Mr. Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mr. Tiger » 12 Aug 2008, 19:19

why are we being subjected to umpteen pages of chit chat about 110% and 100%

move on.......... sargent is the dogs and he will be a top forward for us next season!!!

decorator
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by decorator » 12 Aug 2008, 19:25

cutsyke tiger wrote:
old cas lass wrote:
I seem to recollect nathon sykes used to give 100% every week but don't recollect him being anyones favourite :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nat Sykes was one of my favourites, along with Richard Gay And Darren Rogers. :oops:

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 12 Aug 2008, 20:01

Mr. Tiger wrote:why are we being subjected to umpteen pages of chit chat about 110% and 100%

move on.......... sargent is the dogs and he will be a top forward for us next season!!!
I thought the point of a forum was to give like minded individuals a chance to 'chit chat' about whatever topic takes their fancy.

If the theme disagrees with you I suggest you do one.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 12 Aug 2008, 20:37

Mr. Tiger wrote:why are we being subjected to umpteen pages of chit chat about 110% and 100%

Other than what Alf said, perhaps its because someone feels they can say 110% etc and its bobbins. :roll:

I could put 100% effort in and still be rubbish, so I don't buy that simply putting effort in makes you a fans favourite. I could pick out moments (notice I'm saying moments!) of Korki's game where he did as much as he could, yet he's perhaps rightly classed as some sort of village clown.

Anyway, on 2 games played Sargent looks less than match fit but may well become a cracking player for us. Glad he did come over for the last 5 games rather than giving up and just joining us for 09.