Penalty Count

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Bonzo
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Bonzo » 11 Aug 2008, 14:45

andyb wrote:
marshman wrote:
andyb wrote: True you can't comment as u were not at the game so why suggest we are moaners when we actually made it to the game. Too many people are quick to slag cas off on the forum then admit they didnt actually go to the game, whats all that about Gonzo?
You missed the bit at the end where you say you're a better fan than "Gonzo" because you managed to make it to the game.

I can't really see where "Gonzo" is slagging Cas off. As far as i can see, he's giving another side to the argument. The side that has a different view to the usual "fooooorrrrrwaaaard" shouts, the "you're a flipping joke ref" and the other regular shouts most fans with little knowledge of the rules, interpretations and thinking of the referees come out with constantly for 80 minutes.

Can you see what "Gonzo" is trying to say? Can you maybe guess a little more about the person you are accusing other than simply thinking they are a part time fan who always moans about Cas on messageboards? Answers on a postcard hey mate.
Didn't suggest i was a better fan than Bonzo, i agree he was stating another side of the argument but is it justifiable to comment on the game when he wasn't even there? :neutral:
I can't comment on individual incidents but I can comment on generic observations and that's exactly what I've done in this thread.
"Mr Underwood, You are truly a master of the mysteries that are not revealed to us mere mortals."

G Man90
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by G Man90 » 11 Aug 2008, 14:48

fenton wrote:
andyb wrote:
Bonzo wrote:
WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:Ref was aweful today for us.

If we had been losing and not played well.

We would of been crucified.

Why he let them get away with head highs, forward passes and offsides i don't know ..

But i feel our discipline was better today!
I wasn't at the game so can't really comment but your post suggests you're one of these who simply wants to the opposition penalised repeatedly throughout the game; yet moans at every penalty awarded against their side. What's wrong with a low penalty count and a decent flowing game of rugby? Or does my desire for that leave me in a minority?
True you can't comment as u were not at the game so why suggest we are moaners when we actually made it to the game. Too many people are quick to slag cas off on the forum then admit they didnt actually go to the game, whats all that about Gonzo?
What the!? :? :?
eh??
Chase and Sherwin winning partnership....
Top 8 finish for the TIGERS next year :)

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 11 Aug 2008, 14:58

Why he let them get away with head highs, forward passes and offsides i don't know ..

Bonzo wrote: I wasn't at the game so can't really comment but your post suggests you're one of these who simply wants to the opposition penalised repeatedly throughout the game; yet moans at every penalty awarded against their side. What's wrong with a low penalty count and a decent flowing game of rugby? Or does my desire for that leave me in a minority?
Thats fair enough.

But im definately not someone who wants the opposition penalised all the time.

I admit i always want a penalty when were struggling in our own half OR we actually deserve one! but to say my post suggests i want them repeatadly is a bit ludicrous.

There is nothing where i say .. oh the ref should of pulled Wakey up every set.

If you had of gone to the game, and im sure i will be backed up here by people who went, you would of seen Wakey especially DB getting away with head high tackles as he lost is head half way through and was constantly jumping at peoples head - only one of these got pulled up!

Secondly forward passes - Wakey did about 5 that went un noticed, the worst was when Sculthorpe was on the floor and through it forward in a desperate attempt to offload (at this point Wakey were playing catch up rugby, ref waved play on!

Lastly offsides .. for the first time this season Hendo abolutely dictated play from hooker and was scooting like iv never seen before! at least on 10 occasions he scooted and caught the defence offside! but was they given no!

Same when we was twice on our own line after making Wakey surrender the ball on the 5th and last, we had to go 100 metres to score, but the Wakey defence made this almost impossible because Brough, Demetriou and Atkins had other ideas and for full 6 tackles were blatantly offside to stop our onslaught! whether this was a tactic i don't know.

Cas yesterdays discipline was much much better, i admit our players got tired and some in particular who could of continually stayed offside to gain them few metres but didn't!

So Bonzo next time you suggest that im biased think again as Wakey took the rules in to their own hands yesterday, had we had a better ref we could of been looking at a bigger scoreline.

Bonzo
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Bonzo » 11 Aug 2008, 15:27

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:Thats fair enough.

I admit i always want a penalty when were struggling in our own half OR we actually deserve one! but to say my post suggests i want them repeatadly is a bit ludicrous.

If you had of gone to the game, and im sure i will be backed up here by people who went, you would of seen Wakey especially DB getting away with head high tackles as he lost is head half way through and was constantly jumping at peoples head - only one of these got pulled up!

Secondly forward passes - Wakey did about 5 that went un noticed, the worst was when Sculthorpe was on the floor and through it forward in a desperate attempt to offload (at this point Wakey were playing catch up rugby, ref waved play on!

Lastly offsides .. for the first time this season Hendo abolutely dictated play from hooker and was scooting like iv never seen before! at least on 10 occasions he scooted and caught the defence offside! but was they given no!

Same when we was twice on our own line after making Wakey surrender the ball on the 5th and last, we had to go 100 metres to score, but the Wakey defence made this almost impossible because Brough, Demetriou and Atkins had other ideas and for full 6 tackles were blatantly offside to stop our onslaught! whether this was a tactic i don't know.

Cas yesterdays discipline was much much better, i admit our players got tired and some in particular who could of continually stayed offside to gain them few metres but didn't!

So Bonzo next time you suggest that im biased think again as Wakey took the rules in to their own hands yesterday, had we had a better ref we could of been looking at a bigger scoreline.
First of all, don't be too offended - I was highlighting it in the extreme to make the point. You get it at every game - the token bloke in the rose tinted specs who moans at the referee after every tackle for not giving his side a penalty for something or other, but then moans at the referee every time he gives the opponents a penalty because he's not letting the game flow. I think every fan at some point (including myself) will have been guilty of this and to some degree, by no means to the extreme highlighted by this example might I add, will be like it at most games.

One major disadvantage in watching the game is that you can't hear the communication between the players and the officials. The referees will talk to the players all the time to try and manage situations and reduce the number of penalties as far as possible. This will often result in things appearing to be let go purely because the officials are communicating with the players to eliminate it from the game. Obviously if the players fail to listen then further action has to be taken.

As I said before I think the strict policing on high shots has dropped off as the season's gone on and I think the same can be said for not having both feet back at the play-the-ball. How were we for getting back the full ten yesterday because generally we're buggers for pinching a metre and have been all season? Were we moving off the mark before playing the ball? Do you think we'd have scored as many points in a more stop-start game?

With regards to forward passes, there are a lot that look forward and even travel forward that are perfectly legal. The speed of the game these days accounts for this and we have to accept that players are trained to pass the ball flat. Identifying forward passes is now more about the technique used in passing the ball rather than the flight of the ball itself; since high looping passes will always appear forward; long balls on windy days can be picked up by the wind; and short, flat balls to a running player from a standing player can give the false impression of forward motion. The only way to be sure if a pass is forward or not is to be standing completely in line with it.
"Mr Underwood, You are truly a master of the mysteries that are not revealed to us mere mortals."

andyb

Post by andyb » 11 Aug 2008, 20:12

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:

Bonzo wrote: I wasn't at the game so can't really comment but your post suggests you're one of these who simply wants to the opposition penalised repeatedly throughout the game; yet moans at every penalty awarded against their side. What's wrong with a low penalty count and a decent flowing game of rugby? Or does my desire for that leave me in a minority?
Thats fair enough.

Back u 100% mate, wakey couldn't cope with Hendo. :clap: