Westerman not going to World Cup

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Fully
League One Player
League One Player

Westerman not going to World Cup

Post by Fully » 15 Sep 2008, 15:46

According to Matterson. He's got an ankle injury which may or may not require surgery, but still needs rest and TLC.
--------------------------------------------------------
ACCOUNT CLOSED WITH OWNERS PERMISSION

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 15 Sep 2008, 15:49

I would rather see a fit and raring to go Westerman next season rather than in the World Cup! but if this is the case and he cannot go then he will be heartbroken .. but i would expect a quality player like Joe will get over it and make up next season, im hoping.

ten
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ten » 15 Sep 2008, 17:24

I saw him out after the Bradford game and I wouldn't say he was limping that bad to suggest he needed surgery. To be honest, he didn't look too bad. However, if he was to have surgery then that's that, looks like he'll miss the world cup. I know he'll be devastated about it but then again he is 18 years old and he has many years ahead of him and I'm sure he will be present at future World Cups and he'll be representing Great Britain and England many times over the years. It would be a real shame if he was to miss out though after such a great first season in Super League which has rightly got him a deserved call up to the England team.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 15 Sep 2008, 17:38

Tbh i would let him travel - Even if he isnt 100% fit - I am sure he would be able to train with the squad and this would benefit him in the long run
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 15 Sep 2008, 17:52

To be fair though i did see him out round Wakey last Monday with Sherwin and he looked fine drinking away getting attention .. maybe its something he sustained earlier in the season and him and Cas feel it may be something that could cause further problems.

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 15 Sep 2008, 21:57

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:To be fair though i did see him out round Wakey last Monday with Sherwin and he looked fine drinking away getting attention .. maybe its something he sustained earlier in the season and him and Cas feel it may be something that could cause further problems.
He didn't train today, he is having an MRI scan on Friday to assess the injury and treatment (if any) required.

Fixed quote - Sigon

MY CLUB. MY CAS

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 15 Sep 2008, 23:53

I'm with DTM on this one. The national side should play a greater role in the long-term development of players and every international build up should include younger playersto help them develop and opefully improve.

Every GB/England squad include players we know aren't going to get a competitive game so why not choose the younder element rather than the old guard?

Take the likes of Westy along, have them train with the others and get a taste of the internatinla scene, even if not necessarily fit.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 15 Sep 2008, 23:59

Flat Capper wrote:I'm with DTM on this one. The national side should play a greater role in the long-term development of players and every international build up should include younger playersto help them develop and opefully improve.

Every GB/England squad include players we know aren't going to get a competitive game so why not choose the younder element rather than the old guard?

Take the likes of Westy along, have them train with the others and get a taste of the internatinla scene, even if not necessarily fit.
I hope he travels, as you say it would give him and others the experience- being around the top players in the world he would learn a lot.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

Wicksy
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Wicksy » 16 Sep 2008, 00:04

Casmania wrote:
Flat Capper wrote:I'm with DTM on this one. The national side should play a greater role in the long-term development of players and every international build up should include younger playersto help them develop and opefully improve.

I hope he travels, as you say it would give him and others the experience- being around the top players in the world he would learn a lot.
Strap the foot up, sun sea sandy beach , Aus girls from prisoner C block H . :?

Maybe they don't want to stand down because they want to rectify the mistakes they've made in seasons gone by.

T13

Post by T13 » 16 Sep 2008, 02:18

seems a nice and level headed lad when i have seen him...if he cant go its a shame but he's young and probably still trying to cope with the celebrity status whilst in the winterseam! it might do him a favour. he has years ahead of gb status and smashing up wigan :dance:

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 16 Sep 2008, 07:49

Wicksy wrote:
Casmania wrote:

cell block h,when i was in oz you thought our tv was crap they import coranation street and the bill has their prime time telly on a night. :)

billy the fish
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by billy the fish » 16 Sep 2008, 12:55

braytontiger wrote:
Wicksy wrote:
Casmania wrote:

cell block h,when i was in oz you thought our tv was crap they import coranation street and the bill has their prime time telly on a night. :)
Are you having that Leanne ? :hand:
Want To Learn To Drive ?
Pass In 3-6 weeks or Weekly lessons, PM for Details - Discounts For Forum Members - http://www.trainwithdave.co.uk/

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 16 Sep 2008, 13:50

Its important to get this injury sorted out now, blow the England trip.

Trailer trash
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Trailer trash » 16 Sep 2008, 17:59

damn and blast!

Had £50 on him earlier in the season with skybet that he would play a game in this years world cup. Said all along he'd get an injury at the end of the season. Typical - just my luck lately! :roll:

Despite the bet, would love to have seen him play but looking at the bigger picture we need to remember he's still only 18 and needs looking after!

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 16 Sep 2008, 20:37

With Joe still being 18 he at least still has a good 15 years in him at least that means he got at least 3 or 4 more World Cups to come up (not sure whether they come round every 3 or 4 years though) but still plenty of time and the scary thing is Joe can and will only get better, being around the team when they were in France must of been great for Joe, i would like him to go to the World Cup even if he doesn't play, even if he goes and just has fun, a bit of banter with the lads, getting to know more players and feeling comfortable and being amongst the lads for the big games.

chimpy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chimpy » 17 Sep 2008, 12:30

He is scared of flying!!!

fenton
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: AFenton90

Post by fenton » 17 Sep 2008, 14:21

He seemed alright last night. :lol: :lol:

Leanne
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Leanne » 17 Sep 2008, 14:24

billy the fish wrote:
braytontiger wrote:
Wicksy wrote:
Casmania wrote:

Are you having that Leanne ? :hand:
Some people just don't know good TV do they ;)

Rich_1
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Rich_1 » 17 Sep 2008, 18:13

fenton wrote:He seemed alright last night. :lol: :lol:
Just about to say that :lol:

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 17 Sep 2008, 18:21

Rich_1 wrote:
fenton wrote:He seemed alright last night. :lol: :lol:
Just about to say that :lol:
Saw joe today pushing his daughter in the pram.
There was no limp and he was walking ok.