Goldy/Team

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
legionited
League One Player
League One Player

Post by legionited » 05 Nov 2008, 17:07

For the contract length and rumoured wages...there is absolutely no way the club can justify McGoldrick being on the bench IMO.

Ryan Boyle needs to be getting game time too.

pyeman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pyeman » 05 Nov 2008, 17:11

I for one am glad we can have quality players on the bench and in reserve, is something we havent had too much of the last few seasons.

legionited
League One Player
League One Player

Post by legionited » 05 Nov 2008, 17:44

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that we might actually be able to have a bench that doesn't begin to read like a who's who of our Academy side as the season progresses.

I just don't think you can justify paying McGoldrick as much as has been rumoured for him to come on from the bench.

And Boyle needs to be getting Super League game time for the benefit of his own development IMO. If we cannot give him that, maybe we should look at sending him out to another SL club on loan? I would rather see him coming on for us from the bench though.

pyeman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pyeman » 05 Nov 2008, 18:10

legionited wrote:Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that we might actually be able to have a bench that doesn't begin to read like a who's who of our Academy side as the season progresses.

I just don't think you can justify paying McGoldrick as much as has been rumoured for him to come on from the bench.

And Boyle needs to be getting Super League game time for the benefit of his own development IMO. If we cannot give him that, maybe we should look at sending him out to another SL club on loan? I would rather see him coming on for us from the bench though.
Oh i agree about boyle and am a big fan of his, but i would rather have talent waiting in the wings ready to seize the chance, at the end of the day i want the best side on the pitch week in week out and its upto the players to win selection.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 05 Nov 2008, 20:33

legionited wrote:For the contract length and rumoured wages...there is absolutely no way the club can justify McGoldrick being on the bench IMO.
James Roby will be a top earner at Saints, he doesn't start many games.
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

ten
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ten » 05 Nov 2008, 20:38

Steadman_4_PM wrote:
legionited wrote:For the contract length and rumoured wages...there is absolutely no way the club can justify McGoldrick being on the bench IMO.
James Roby will be a top earner at Saints, he doesn't start many games.
But Cas Tigers arn't Saint Helens. Cas don't have the depth of talent that they have. Therefore, Cas shouldn't be using a player of McGoldricks wage on the bench.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 05 Nov 2008, 20:42

Wage shouldn't come into it. Yes its silly to spend a large amount of your cap on a player being just a bit part of the team, but for me if you select your starting 13 based on their wage then you're beaten before you start.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 05 Nov 2008, 20:43

Mcgoldrick should start anyway even if he was earning less, maybe if he was he would understand why he gets slated a little, but i think put him in the centres with Evans on is wing and it could be a creative partnership where as Owen/Shenton is a speedy one.

ten
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ten » 05 Nov 2008, 20:45

Steadman_4_PM wrote:Wage shouldn't come into it. Yes its silly to spend a large amount of your cap on a player being just a bit part of the team, but for me if you select your starting 13 based on their wage then you're beaten before you start.
Obviously Cas think highly of McGoldrick to pay him x amount. My point is, the wage that McGoldrick recieves isn't being justified with how Cas play him and that a player of his wage should be able to hold a permanent position in the side.

ten
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ten » 05 Nov 2008, 20:47

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:Mcgoldrick should start anyway even if he was earning less, maybe if he was he would understand why he gets slated a little, but i think put him in the centres with Evans on is wing and it could be a creative partnership where as Owen/Shenton is a speedy one.
I'd put him in the centres too but Matterson never will, I don't think.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 05 Nov 2008, 20:51

ten wrote:the wage that McGoldrick recieves isn't being justified with how Cas play him and that a player of his wage should be able to hold a permanent position in the side.
Not really Goldys fault in all fairness to him, he gets swapped about more than the whole team does, no wonder he can't hold a permanent position. Unfortunately this all down to one Terry Matterson. Im sure like most players Ryan is willing to play anywhere for the team but as a coach with the final say .. wherever Terry says goes. For the wage he is on though he should be pulling is weight a little better than he has done a few times this season in attack and defence.
Last edited by WHELDON-ROAD-END on 05 Nov 2008, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

ten
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ten » 05 Nov 2008, 20:53

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:
ten wrote:the wage that McGoldrick recieves isn't being justified with how Cas play him and that a player of his wage should be able to hold a permanent position in the side.
Not really Goldys fault in all fairness to him, he gets swapped about more than the whole team does, no wonder he can't hold a permanent position. Unfortunately is all down to one Terry Matterson there, im sure like most players Ryan is willing to play anywhere for the team but as a coach with the final say .. wherever Terry says goes. For the wage he is on though he should be pulling is weight a little better than he has done a few times this season.
Yeah I agree, anyone who is offered a high wage is bound to say yes. But then again, he should be good enough to suggest to Matterson that he can have a permanent position in the team.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 05 Nov 2008, 20:54

ten wrote:
Steadman_4_PM wrote:Wage shouldn't come into it. Yes its silly to spend a large amount of your cap on a player being just a bit part of the team, but for me if you select your starting 13 based on their wage then you're beaten before you start.
Obviously Cas think highly of McGoldrick to pay him x amount. My point is, the wage that McGoldrick recieves isn't being justified with how Cas play him and that a player of his wage should be able to hold a permanent position in the side.
But by that reckoning, a prop could never demand a huge wage because they spend 25%-50% of the game on the bench. I guess it comes down to what is a permanent position, we all expect him to be a centre as thats what he was billed at. He seems to like being involved, but the other players we have in certain positions make it hard to place him.

I'd like him to nail the fullback role and have all pre season building up his defence and positional play, but I fancy we will sign a fullback to start in that position which more than likely will see Ryan playing in the back row............. unless Chase or Sherwin aren't fit that is........... or TM has been kidding us all and Chase has come as a hooker.

I guess my biggest worry with all this team balance is we'll end up playing Sione at prop a bit like we did with Gutts from time to time. The guy is such a capable ball handler we can't waste his talent in the front row. Having him, Westerman, Widders and McGoldrick in the back row does question how much game time they'll all get though, especially when you think Jones may be our 'steady away' part of the back row.

End of the day though its a selection headache that TM / Cas haven't had for a long time.

ten
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ten » 05 Nov 2008, 20:56

Steadman_4_PM wrote:
ten wrote:
But by that reckoning, a prop could never demand a huge wage because they spend 25%-50% of the game on the bench. I guess it comes down to what is a permanent position, we all expect him to be a centre as thats what he was billed at. He seems to like being involved, but the other players we have in certain positions make it hard to place him.

I'd like him to nail the fullback role and have all pre season building up his defence and positional play, but I fancy we will sign a fullback to start in that position which more than likely will see Ryan playing in the back row............. unless Chase or Sherwin aren't fit that is........... or TM has been kidding us all and Chase has come as a hooker.

I guess my biggest worry with all this team balance is we'll end up playing Sione at prop a bit like we did with Gutts from time to time. The guy is such a capable ball handler we can't waste his talent in the front row. Having him, Westerman, Widders and McGoldrick in the back row does question how much game time they'll all get though, especially when you think Jones may be our 'steady away' part of the back row.

End of the day though its a selection headache that TM / Cas haven't had for a long time.
Perhaps they should just sell him to Wigan and get in two players with the money from Goldy ;)

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 05 Nov 2008, 20:59

ten wrote:Perhaps they should just sell him to Wigan and get in two players with the money from Goldy ;)
Everyone is saying that if Ryan goes to Wigan then he is unloyal to Cas .. but if we was to sell him (with him not wanting to go) just so we could get money or decent players then aren't we being unloyal to him? people just don't realise these things when they rush straight in without really thinking per usual. :roll:

ten
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ten » 05 Nov 2008, 21:04

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:
ten wrote:Perhaps they should just sell him to Wigan and get in two players with the money from Goldy ;)
Everyone is saying that if Ryan goes to Wigan then he is unloyal to Cas .. but if we was to sell him (with him not wanting to go) just so we could get money or decent players then aren't we being unloyal to him? people just don't realise these things when they rush straight in without really thinking per usual. :roll:
I fully believe that Goldy will be playing at Cas next year. Only thing we should be worrying about with him is if he'll be playing at fullback.

Dubai Cas Lad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dubai Cas Lad » 06 Nov 2008, 05:46

id liek to see Mcg old a steady position in the loose roll just aslong as he pics up on his defence. hes more than capable for it in attack and our second row looks very dangerous too with the likes of widders, faumesomething and westy who all have awesome attacking game and great defence.

i cant wait to see the first team play in the new season and see how they all go together. i hope the first games on sky lol.