Outcome of the RFL Match Review Panel

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
StokeFan
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StokeFan » 09 Apr 2009, 07:13

It was right in front of us, he lead with the forearm, simple as. Given his recent disciplinary track record a ban was inevitable.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 09 Apr 2009, 08:43

Flat Capper wrote:having not seen any video evidence of the incident it's difficult to know the facts but as I see it, the following happened?

McG is already being held by two defenders when a third shapes to come in hard. McG then raises his arm to protect his head and is found guilty of taking the ball in with a raised elbow?

Pardon my ignorance but throughout my years of watching RL I've seen many a player raise his arm to protect himself and in particular his head.

Indeed, Graham Steadman did it as a matter of course and a work colleague of mine ( former Doncaster player and their game record points holder) Tony Zelei says he was taught to do it from an early age.

Therefore my question is, are you allowed to protect yourself?

If this is not the case and McG simply lead with the forearm then the punishment fits.
At the time it happened - I said that Ryan was lucky not to be sent off for it immediately. It did appear that he knew exactly what he was doing and it certainly looked deliberate. He was obviously wound up from being made to look silly by having had the ball stolen from him minutes earlier.

I also thought at the time when he was only penalised for it that he would hear more about it and a ban was likely.

Taking into account the fact that for the last few weeks Ryan has been called up before the disciplinary committee twice and had warnings - they have obviously taken the view that he hasn't heeded the warnings and so have decided a more severe punishment is necessary.

legionited
League One Player
League One Player

Post by legionited » 09 Apr 2009, 12:47

He ran straight at the guy who had pinched the ball, leading with the forearm. Whether he was being tackled or otherwise is irrelevant to me, he knew exactly what he was doing and the intent was there.

I find it hard to believe some Cas fans are trying to defend his actions, if this had been last season and Korkidas had done it, then there would have been outrage on here and nobody would have defended him.

Goldy is a likeable character and has been one of our best players, but come on, let's take the blinkers off. He's been punished appropriately for a very stupid reaction.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 09 Apr 2009, 12:53

It's not that long ago that players like nick fozzard and barry mcdermott use to wear thick padding on there forearm.
They use to always lead with it into opponants face/head.

Ryan mcgoldrick did NOT lead with the elbow, he raised his arm to fend off the on coming keighley player who was running in very fast.
It look worse because the inpact on mcgoldrick forced the keighley player to bounce off pretty fearsly, he got straight up with no hesitation at all.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 09 Apr 2009, 13:02

It looks like I'll have to try and see the video evidence to finally make my mind up but if he led with the forearm, then I'm disappointed.

I will say though that it is difficult to lead with the forearm if you already have tacklers around you. Surely to lead the action needs to be the first one undertaken and if he's already being tackled other actions will have taken place.

I've no doubt he raised his arm so that it contacted with the opponents head but that's not the same as leading with it.

Either way he clearly needs to work on his technique, if only to avoid further appearences at Red Hall.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

StokeFan
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StokeFan » 09 Apr 2009, 15:41

Only saying what I saw OCL we all had our own viewpoints I guess.
It's old news IMO as I think an appeal would be ill-advised.
On the positive side Ryan didn't object at all and just got on with it. Plus Richie Owen gets some experience under his belt, Ryan stays fit and hopefully injury-free and blows saints away on his return :-)

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 09 Apr 2009, 15:52

If Ryan was to appeal and lost, would he get another match ban like they do in football?

Jack Bauer
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Jack Bauer » 09 Apr 2009, 15:59

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:If Ryan was to appeal and lost, would he get another match ban like they do in football?
No it's very rare for an appeal hearing to award more matches than the original hearing awarded. i always think it's worth a shot at appeal.

WHELDON-ROAD-END
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by WHELDON-ROAD-END » 09 Apr 2009, 16:01

Jack Bauer wrote:
WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:If Ryan was to appeal and lost, would he get another match ban like they do in football?
No it's very rare for an appeal hearing to award more matches than the original hearing awarded. i always think it's worth a shot at appeal.
He may aswell appeal then, the bottom line is he's missing tomorrows game, but would be pretty handy if we had him back for Warrington.

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 09 Apr 2009, 18:00

WHELDON-ROAD-END wrote:
Jack Bauer wrote:
He may aswell appeal then, the bottom line is he's missing tomorrows game, but would be pretty handy if we had him back for Warrington.
Obviously he/Cas must have decided that they have received a fair hearing and punishment.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 09 Apr 2009, 20:23

I notice Leeds have had the 1 game ban for Luke Burgess over turned on appeal. That was also a grade C offence.
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

castigerowen
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by castigerowen » 10 Apr 2009, 10:04

I also notice the RFL failed to notice Westy get blattently elbowed in the mouth by their number 9 and then the same player punch faumuina in a tackle 2 minutes later.

Now correct me if I am wrong but are players not told to put a buffer up going into a tackle?? thats what he did it didnt involve the elbow and due to him being pulled down by 2 tacklers the buffer was slightly misguided and may have not made contact with the chest but imo he was not intentionally attacking the head

I think this is a case of his past catching up with him and 2 games !!!! a bit excessive for me

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 10 Apr 2009, 10:51

castigerowen wrote:I also notice the RFL failed to notice Westy get blattently elbowed in the mouth by their number 9 and then the same player punch faumuina in a tackle 2 minutes later.

Now correct me if I am wrong but are players not told to put a buffer up going into a tackle?? thats what he did it didnt involve the elbow and due to him being pulled down by 2 tacklers the buffer was slightly misguided and may have not made contact with the chest but imo he was not intentionally attacking the head

I think this is a case of his past catching up with him and 2 games !!!! a bit excessive for me
I agree in a sense, For me Ryan should be sent off every match - He shouldn't get away with chewing the referee's ear like he does, Thats Ryan Hudson's job - And there are a few on here who say they saw the incident clearly and he led with the forearm, Ryan must have been guilty otherwise he would have appealed - Take the 2 matches - Its fair and move on
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

castigerowen
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by castigerowen » 11 Apr 2009, 10:40

Ts is why for me Goldy should have been named Captain this year and I think tonight showed how much talking he does we lacked direction and in him being named skip he could talk to the ref and lets be honest even though he is constrewed as chewing the refs ear off 95% of the time he is saying what we all think the level of refereeing in this country is appauling and its not bias like people claim it is lack of ability, vision and assistance from the pointless touch judges.

As for Goldy he got banned thats rugby but when a player in the same game gets away with a elbow in the mouth when play had stopped which correct me if I am wrong is a red card offence and then a sly punch in a tackle which on TV should have been clear to see I question how the panel are looking on a level playing field thats why I believe Goldy was banned cos he is Goldy !!!!

zart
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by zart » 11 Apr 2009, 11:20

The incident which K Mason ran into a bit of 'handbags' on the touchline to deliver a swinging arm to a players head,which the player didnt see coming and could have resulted in a serious head injury,was only give a 300 pound fine and no ban! This incident alone imo raises questions about how the panel operate

Sigon
Championship Player
Championship Player
Twitter: @nogis

Post by Sigon » 12 Apr 2009, 10:23

castigerowen wrote:thats why I believe Goldy was banned cos he is Goldy !!!!
Nothing to do with the previous warning letters then?
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

alf garnett
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alf garnett » 12 Apr 2009, 10:52

you all can say what you like he was given a 2 match ban
you can say its right or wrong will not change a thing.
just hope he as learned his lesson now and does as he said be more mature
alf garnett 2006 & 2007 winner of the casforum.co.uk most negative poster and we hate the BOD poster
super leagure we dont care -sorry wakey we dont want to share

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 12 Apr 2009, 11:15

Unfortunately he deserved what he got, as people have posted lets hope he can take it on board.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

Boxer
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Boxer » 12 Apr 2009, 12:02

after watching the video of the keighley game . ryan mcgoldgrick ran at the keighley number 6 with a raised elbow and then was tackled by the keighley number7 he was not held in a tackle and then raised his elbow, giveing the R,L.F matche revue panell no choice but to ban ryan after already being warned by them for the same thing against hull, but should the match commisioner have been able to write a report on the match when the incident involved his son ryan may have only got one match ban if it had been another player or another match commisioner writing a report