Draught ale

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Draught ale

Post by fast hands » 13 Apr 2017, 17:38

Could anyone enlighten me about the draught ales' being sold at the ground. i:e Birra pirreta and Shed Head pale ale, I know all about Carlsberg export and Tiger Blonde. What is the prices.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Draught ale

Post by casjunction » 13 Apr 2017, 20:07

Also available Proud Miner £3:50 a pint decent quality very flimsy plastic glasses but better quality ones which are reuseable can work out cheaper in the long run.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 14 Apr 2017, 10:27

All the pints u mentioned are £3.80 if i remember rightly n £3.50 for plastic bottle of carlsberg
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 14 Apr 2017, 11:57

the prices seem well over the top, who ever determines the price ought to have a walk in the pubs and clubs in CAS and see what the going price of a pint is , to ask people to pay double is a bit extreme

scottiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by scottiger » 14 Apr 2017, 12:07

gateman wrote:the prices seem well over the top, who ever determines the price ought to have a walk in the pubs and clubs in CAS and see what the going price of a pint is , to ask people to pay double is a bit extreme
I think you'll struggle to find cheaper in most sporting venues Tbh
Not that I'm saying its cheap but just the norm .
TM Out

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 14 Apr 2017, 20:15

gateman wrote:the prices seem well over the top, who ever determines the price ought to have a walk in the pubs and clubs in CAS and see what the going price of a pint is , to ask people to pay double is a bit extreme
Stadiums are always overpriced. Thats life.

Some places are 4-5 quid.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 14 Apr 2017, 23:47

we're a captive audience. the only choice is pay it or stay dry. did see a cheeky young lady in front of us keep sneaking out a bottle of rose though.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 15 Apr 2017, 15:42

Does the club make profit from the beer sales, or are they franchised out. If so that will be the reason beer in ground has risen by 60 pence a pint from last season.( may have been season before though) My mate told them at bottle bar to put caps back on the bottles when asked for £10-50 for 3 bottles, how many more refused to buy and a lost sale and profit for club.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 16 Apr 2017, 12:06

I don't bother buying beer at the ground. I refuse to pay the prices. Couple of pints in the boot room before hand does me

therailwayendisnigh
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by therailwayendisnigh » 16 Apr 2017, 12:25

derbystiger wrote:I don't bother buying beer at the ground. I refuse to pay the prices. Couple of pints in the boot room before hand does me
It's £3.50 a pint mate - which is in line with most pubs and very good for a sporting venue imo.

Alfiedog
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Alfiedog » 16 Apr 2017, 12:46

Worst thing about the beer is that the staff don't know how to pour it properly! They just plonk the glass under the spout & stand back watching it fill up (mainly with foam).
I had a 2 pint pot of COYF ale on Fri & at the first attempt literally half of it was head. The girl serving had no intention of topping it up until I asked.
I then walked away & let it settle & still only had about a pint & a half & a huge head. I took it back to get it topped up again & still had less than the 2 pints I'd paid for, but couldn't be bothered going back to get it topped up a 3rd time.
Might have to consider going to the Boot Room next time.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 16 Apr 2017, 13:18

therailwayendisnigh wrote:
derbystiger wrote:I don't bother buying beer at the ground. I refuse to pay the prices. Couple of pints in the boot room before hand does me
It's £3.50 a pint mate - which is in line with most pubs and very good for a sporting venue imo.
That's nearly a pound a pint dearer than the boot room, and if you drink bottles they are 3 for a fiver at the bottle bar outside, compared to 3.50 a bottle in the ground. There are normally 3 of us and have 2 drinks each. The cost in total is a few pence over 12 quid, but the same in the ground would be best part of 18 quid. That's a big difference to me, I have to save where I can on match day to pay for the fuel for a 130 mile round trip for every home game. I do buy food in the ground though, so do put some money in as its best part of 20 quid for the 3 of us for food.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 Apr 2017, 14:36

Cas are tied into a contract for beer costs and have to pay what people like Carlsberg charge them.

And ask yourself why Carlsberg would give a preferable rate to Cas over local pubs? A local pub is open 365 days a year and has ongoing custom, and in bigger quantities. Also, why would they undercut local pubs by offering Cas a cheaper rate - it would spite off their main business.

Cas have 14/15 home games max a season and buy based on sales. It is always down to contracts and the club can't do anything.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 18 Apr 2017, 12:17

HuddsTigers wrote:Cas are tied into a contract for beer costs and have to pay what people like Carlsberg charge them.

And ask yourself why Carlsberg would give a preferable rate to Cas over local pubs? A local pub is open 365 days a year and has ongoing custom, and in bigger quantities. Also, why would they undercut local pubs by offering Cas a cheaper rate - it would spite off their main business.

Cas have 14/15 home games max a season and buy based on sales. It is always down to contracts and the club can't do anything.
Whilst your first point is correct, your remaining assumptions may be far from accurate.

I would argue that if I was Carlsberg (God forbid, the lager louts), I would look on a Cas game as potential for increased sales across all outlets and price them similarly. Let's not forget that once in the ground, the supports are by and large a captive audience with little option than to buy from Cas.

As such there would appear to be a benefit to encouraging further sales by reducing the cost to a level that is not much more than the local pubs who can continue to generate extra sales before and after games. It's the JD Wetherspoon's approach; sell it cheap, sell loads more! I tried getting a drink in The Glassblower after Friday's game and gave up after 15mins of queuing at the Bar.

Some of us simply take the view that as a captive audience both Cas and to some degree Carlsberg, want to exploit us a much as possible.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 18 Apr 2017, 12:38

Flat Capper wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:Cas are tied into a contract for beer costs and have to pay what people like Carlsberg charge them.

Whilst your first point is correct, your remaining assumptions may be far from accurate.

I would argue that if I was Carlsberg (God forbid, the lager louts), I would look on a Cas game as potential for increased sales across all outlets and price them similarly. Let's not forget that once in the ground, the supports are by and large a captive audience with little option than to buy from Cas.

As such there would appear to be a benefit to encouraging further sales by reducing the cost to a level that is not much more than the local pubs who can continue to generate extra sales before and after games. It's the JD Wetherspoon's approach; sell it cheap, sell loads more! I tried getting a drink in The Glassblower after Friday's game and gave up after 15mins of queuing at the Bar.

Some of us simply take the view that as a captive audience both Cas and to some degree Carlsberg, want to exploit us a much as possible.
Cas have to be seen as responsible alcohol retailers. Most people are in the ground for around 2 hours and won't drink more than 4 pints. If we are encouraging people to more then that in such a short space of time this could be seen as irresponsible and Cas could have there license revoked and then not make any money from the alcohol retail side at all. Also not living in Castleford I don't find £3.50 expensive.

The next point is change logistics at incriments of 50p you only need change of £1 coins and 50p coins stops the scrabbling around for change and means people can be served quicker.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 Apr 2017, 12:49

You may be right but I'm pretty sure the club have advised in the past that the rates they get for alcohol in the past from the likes of Carlsberg are significantly higher than local pubs.

I've also seen it as a given in business that if you're committed to a company for the long-term, have a good relationship, the more likely they are to offer preferable rates for them. Ditto the more you buy, the cheaper deal they can afford. So while Cas may order one barrel of draught beer per game, other pubs may order 7/8 barrels per week. They're also much more likely to sell more both pre and post-match.

Also, if you undercut those pubs, it means they run at a loss, don't make any money and you risk destroying the ongoing business you have.

The key for Cas is that the next time the contract renewal comes around, go out before and do some research into other suppliers, and try and barter down the rate. I'm sure they would love to offer fans a better deal inside the ground, generate more sales and retain footfall for a longer period of time.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

ron
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ron » 18 Apr 2017, 12:57

Is there any plan for the club to have a bar/ cafe open daily at the new ground as it will be in the middle of a busy shopping centre and potentially profitable? It might be a good alternative to the coffee shops as a meeting place , especially for fans. Or is this simply not feasible or contrary to the agreed plans?

yorkie1bn
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by yorkie1bn » 18 Apr 2017, 13:39

Think John Smiths will jump at a chance ? Be Better al round and will sell more do you not think.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 18 Apr 2017, 16:20

if you're not tied you can play all the brewers off against one another. if you tell Carlsberg you are ending their contract for some one cheaper I guarantee they will come back with a much cheaper price
jo brand is eddie warings love child

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 18 Apr 2017, 16:37

Weatherspoons tried that and Heineken (john smiths) and carling told them were to stick it so they were left dealing with carlsberg. Who put there prices up cos it's the only BIG brewer that would deal with them so not the best idea. We don't have enough buying power