Draught ale

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Draught ale

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 Apr 2017, 12:49

You may be right but I'm pretty sure the club have advised in the past that the rates they get for alcohol in the past from the likes of Carlsberg are significantly higher than local pubs.

I've also seen it as a given in business that if you're committed to a company for the long-term, have a good relationship, the more likely they are to offer preferable rates for them. Ditto the more you buy, the cheaper deal they can afford. So while Cas may order one barrel of draught beer per game, other pubs may order 7/8 barrels per week. They're also much more likely to sell more both pre and post-match.

Also, if you undercut those pubs, it means they run at a loss, don't make any money and you risk destroying the ongoing business you have.

The key for Cas is that the next time the contract renewal comes around, go out before and do some research into other suppliers, and try and barter down the rate. I'm sure they would love to offer fans a better deal inside the ground, generate more sales and retain footfall for a longer period of time.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

ron
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ron » 18 Apr 2017, 12:57

Is there any plan for the club to have a bar/ cafe open daily at the new ground as it will be in the middle of a busy shopping centre and potentially profitable? It might be a good alternative to the coffee shops as a meeting place , especially for fans. Or is this simply not feasible or contrary to the agreed plans?

yorkie1bn
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by yorkie1bn » 18 Apr 2017, 13:39

Think John Smiths will jump at a chance ? Be Better al round and will sell more do you not think.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 18 Apr 2017, 16:20

if you're not tied you can play all the brewers off against one another. if you tell Carlsberg you are ending their contract for some one cheaper I guarantee they will come back with a much cheaper price
jo brand is eddie warings love child

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 18 Apr 2017, 16:37

Weatherspoons tried that and Heineken (john smiths) and carling told them were to stick it so they were left dealing with carlsberg. Who put there prices up cos it's the only BIG brewer that would deal with them so not the best idea. We don't have enough buying power

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 18 Apr 2017, 17:04

TT Tiger wrote:Weatherspoons tried that and Heineken (john smiths) and carling told them were to stick it so they were left dealing with carlsberg. Who put there prices up cos it's the only BIG brewer that would deal with them so not the best idea. We don't have enough buying power
Could've sworn you could still get John's in a 'Spoons but why would you with what is usually a good range of real ales to try?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 18 Apr 2017, 17:08

Probably got through a third party.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 18 Apr 2017, 18:15

I cant see what all the complainings about, in my local in york its £3.10 a pint of Carlsberg and in the town centre that goes up to between £3.50-£4.50 so for sports venue i think its quite good. Think your all just spoilt with the cheap beer in the cas pubs.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 18 Apr 2017, 19:55

We cannot complain about prices. We are only charging the same (if not slightly cheaper) than every one else in SL. We've been to Saints, Widnes, Salford, Wigan and Warrington this year - all nearly £4 a pint. As said above, we are spoilt by the cheap prices in the town - in particularly JD Witherspoon.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 18 Apr 2017, 19:55

jackknife wrote:I cant see what all the complainings about, in my local in york its £3.10 a pint of Carlsberg and in the town centre that goes up to between £3.50-£4.50 so for sports venue i think its quite good. Think your all just spoilt with the cheap beer in the cas pubs.
And to think I remember saying I'd stop drinking when it got to £1 a pint! :lol: :lol:

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 18 Apr 2017, 19:57

Could've sworn you could still get John's in a 'Spoons but why would you with what is usually a good range of real ales to try?
You can - it's £1.89 last time I looked. Much prefer the real ales though. Worth the extra 20p at £2.09.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Apr 2017, 19:58

Nearly 3 quid for a grab bag of crisps at saints if you fancied one with your pint lol
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 18 Apr 2017, 20:15

The big breweries are multinationals and do not negotiate on price unlike micro breweries.
I note on other topics posters frequently talk about supporting the club financially though xy and x then some question the price of a pint at the ground which compares very favourably with most other teams.
I think in the past the bars were all franchises so the club does not have a lot of experience in this area.
But l think the whole club has made great progress in all areas and l for one really appreciate being able to get a half decent pint of cask ale at the ground.
As for when beer went up to a pound l remember a customer in a pub l worked vowing he would stop drinking when the price rose to 15 pence!
Cheers

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 19 Apr 2017, 00:10

not sure about pubs casjunction but I've been on the committee of our wmc and we do play the brewery's off against one another. we are not tied to any one have no mortgage or loans and the brewery reps fall over one another to get a foothold. a few years ago now (when peter kay was doing the john smiths adverts) we had both john smiths smooth and Tetley's smooth both at the same price. out of the blue we got notification from smiths that the price was going up by 10p a pint. we told them we wouldn't pay it and to come and take it out. they backed down knowing they would lose sales to Tetley's.

on the price rise back in the day I remember around the time of decimalation me and my mates having a discussion. I said I had heard that by Christmas bitter would be 12p a pint. my mate said don't be daft that's half a crown, everybody will just stop drinking. yeah right. lol
jo brand is eddie warings love child

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 19 Apr 2017, 13:49

Beer price "top trumps"... When I started drinking bitter was 1/10 (9p) and lager (Harp!) 2s (10p). 8 pints, fish and chips and a bus back to Cutsyke for £1! But of course, a good week's wage was £18 take home from Lumb's.glassworks.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 19 Apr 2017, 13:55

There's an idea for one of the cup rounds - beer at 1969/70 prices.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 19 Apr 2017, 14:01

Hear hear...and ground admission at 5/- (25p). And my new house at 4K.