Saints on BH Monday

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Saints on BH Monday

Post by SuffolkTiger » 17 Apr 2017, 17:34

casfanfromcov wrote:It was just that woeful period before half time that cost us the game. We still scored the same ammount of tries as St Helens, the only difference in the teams was the touchline conversion we missed. Can someone who knows the rules explain what Luke Gale was trying to do at the end when he sacrificed the conversion?
He knew there was minimal time left. Sacrificed the 2 point in the hope we would get the ball back from the kick and score 4 points instead and win the game.

If he had kicked the conversion we still lose.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 17 Apr 2017, 17:37

I'm not overly concerned.

Before today Saints had the 2nd best defence in the league behind us. Their problems wasn't defending, it was scoring points.

Similar to Salford, seems like too many mistakes cost us when the game was there for the taking. Was always going to be a tough ask over Easter to go and get 2 wins.

Key is to go to Hull now and not let this be the moment we fall off the pace.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

casfanfromcov
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casfanfromcov » 17 Apr 2017, 17:38

Beth wrote:
casfanfromcov wrote:It was just that woeful period before half time that cost us the game. We still scored the same ammount of tries as St Helens, the only difference in the teams was the touchline conversion we missed. Can someone who knows the rules explain what Luke Gale was trying to do at the end when he sacrificed the conversion?
Nothing to do with rules - just realised it was completely useless to try and go for the two with 15 seconds on the clock! You're allowed to do that.
Thanks Beth, I had never seen it done before, so wasn't sure if it was allowed.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 17 Apr 2017, 17:39

I genuinely can't believe some of the reactions of some people on here, you'd think Cas had lost every game this year! :shock:

Cas have lost 2 games - one in awful conditions against the team 2nd in the table and a game where they haven't played that badly in a year.

In both cases the difference was still only a wrong forward pass call and a missed knock on.

Think about that - in 2 games where Cas were 2nd best and not at the races, they still could have won them and sit there unbeaten.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 17 Apr 2017, 17:45

init wrote:
TheSheriff wrote:It took a shocking performance by Cas and in the end a missed knock on for Saints is the only difference between the teams.

If that's how much the opposition needs stacked in their favour, Cas aren't losing many more games.
I have to disagree :D :D , we will keep losing more games, the important ones at the end of the season because we cannot stop making simple mistakes and gifting teams possession, We went to pieces when St's score because cook could not collect the ball from the kick off, kicked off and cook gives away a stupid penalty in the next set of six, they went down the field and scored.

we knocked on and gifted two tries, missed touch, stupid penalties, our errors cost us the game nothing else and in most games this season we have been guilty of this but had a ten minute period where we have got away from teams.

At the business end of the season these things will cost us dearly, this is the second time we have been put under pressure and come up short, to be capable of winning something it's these games where we need to be a more composed team, I believe DP will also be seeing the trend......

Gutted to have lost this one but ,ore upset that we had the chance to win and blew it.
Agree. We were out rugby leagued today by an above average side who did ordinary things reasonably well.
Some of the flashy things we did and the decision making was a bit embarrassing at times - especially in our half.
We need to get some mongrel in attack at times and be happy to keep teams under their own posts.
Ironically. The defence has improved massively but today we must have had to make 50 tackles we should have no need to make.
Time for a few beers....

init
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by init » 17 Apr 2017, 17:47

HuddsTigers wrote:I'm not overly concerned.

Before today Saints had the 2nd best defence in the league behind us. Their problems wasn't defending, it was scoring points.

Similar to Salford, seems like too many mistakes cost us when the game was there for the taking. Was always going to be a tough ask over Easter to go and get 2 wins.

Key is to go to Hull now and not let this be the moment we fall off the pace.
Agree Hudds..Hull will be the test, our mistakes are our Achilles heel and I dont expect us to run away with the game next week...keep our errors under control and we are good enough to win...carry on with our mistakes and it will cost us again.

I said to my mate if we cut out our own errors then even when we are playing poorly we will win more than lose

I just hope DP is seeing the same things we are

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 17 Apr 2017, 17:50

TheSheriff wrote:I genuinely can't believe some of the reactions of some people on here, you'd think Cas had lost every game this year! :shock:

Cas have lost 2 games - one in awful conditions against the team 2nd in the table and a game where they haven't played that badly in a year.

In both cases the difference was still only a wrong forward pass call and a missed knock on.

Think about that - in 2 games where Cas were 2nd best and not at the races, they still could have won them and sit there unbeaten.
It's not a time for common sense and level headed, fact based thinking....!!!

You are bang on right though.... Great post.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 17 Apr 2017, 18:33

If we were still coached by Millward or Matterson when Saints got to 20-8 there would have been a blow out on the scoreboard.
In the end we lost by 4 points,learn from this and move on. Also am i right in thinking we only have Leigh to play in the league west of the pennines?. Saints,Warrington,Wigan,Salford & Widnes all ticked off!....and they have to come to us now ;) C.O.Y.F!

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 17 Apr 2017, 18:34

SuffolkTiger wrote:
TheSheriff wrote:I genuinely can't believe some of the reactions of some people on here, you'd think Cas had lost every game this year! :shock:

Some proper soft tries today. Shenton effort for 1st try was woeful along with the other 10 grabs at him running across the park.

2 others were poor aswell.

Can't and don't expect to win them all.

Still top :dance:

If we play like we have done in 8 out of the 10 games I can see us beating hull

init
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by init » 17 Apr 2017, 18:53

SuffolkTiger wrote:

The reaction is to the way we are losing close games - twice we have lost them, justifying the loses by saying we lost to a forward pass or a missed knock on, is exactly the same as saying... we would of won the game if Cook hadnt messed up the kick off or given the penalty that cost us the second try, or Hardaker knocking on that cost us a try

What is being discussed is not that we lost narrowly but the amount of unnecessary pressure we put on ourselves in games that are tight... and how in these games our errors have cost us, we were completely dominating the game today until Cook's error, that cost us the first try, Cooks penalty on the following kick off cost us the second try.

I would offer that had those error on error s not been made despite not being at our best we would have gone on to win.

The momentum of the game changed at that point significantly.

I am upset with the manner of our loss because we have shown in close games that we are coming up short and I think the issue is within our own hands to rectify, losing to a missed knock on or a forward pass is not in our hands thats someone elses responsibility.

i like everyone else am delighted with what we have been doing this season however I would like to think that we can debate the areas of our game which twice now have IMO cost us the two close games we have had this season.

Juscas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Juscas » 17 Apr 2017, 18:55

Not the end of the world we made too many errors and saints looked decent today.tidy a few bits up and keep putting the same effort in and we will be there or there abouts at the end of the year

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 17 Apr 2017, 19:44

Warrington Away
Saints Away
Wigan Away
Widnes Away
Salford Away
Hull Away (next week)

Pretty much played all the touch games away from home in the first half of the season. They all have to come to us now where we are averaging nearly 50points a game at home.

Win or lose next week we will still be top at the half way mark of the regular season having played all them teams away. I really think this is a great achievement.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 17 Apr 2017, 19:47

one of my favourite players Big Jake was a bit of the pace today I thought he may have been rested today, after the Wakefield match he looked out on his feet, I like a lot more fans who were there today thought the try the winger got should have been disallowed it like there was a knock on in the build up shame there was no video ref today

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 17 Apr 2017, 19:52

Normy-Tiger wrote:Warrington Away
Saints Away
Wigan Away
Widnes Away
Salford Away
Hull Away (next week)

Pretty much played all the touch games away from home in the first half of the season. They all have to come to us now where we are averaging nearly 50points a game at home.

Win or lose next week we will still be top at the half way mark of the regular season having played all them teams away. I really think this is a great achievement.
If somebody offerem me 8 or 9 wins from opening 11 games having played all them games away.... I would have taken it no questions asked. Top of the league too win or lose as Leeds and Salford dont play next week.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 17 Apr 2017, 20:11

We lost today through no lack of effort. Some of our goal line defence was sensational when under immense pressure. Our handling and discipline were poor as was our kicking game but I certainly wouldn't be too concerned with defeat like some are on here.
I think also Saints deserve some credit for playing really well. Percival was outstanding as was Marty Smiths short kicking game forcing countless drop outs which in the end probably proved decisive. Stay humble, take the defeat on the chin and move on to Hull. #COYF

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 17 Apr 2017, 20:16

Not at our best today but we can't be on the top of our game every time, especially over the easter period. Learn from it and move on.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Apr 2017, 20:23

Thought we looked far better team early doors messing up kick off after wed gone 8-0 up turning point they scored two quick trys and fancied it once theyd hit front
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Black n Amber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Black n Amber » 17 Apr 2017, 20:31

init wrote:
SuffolkTiger wrote:

The reaction is to the way we are losing close games - twice we have lost them, justifying the loses by saying we lost to a forward pass or a missed knock on, is exactly the same as saying... we would of won the game if Cook hadnt messed up the kick off or given the penalty that cost us the second try, or Hardaker knocking on that cost us a try

What is being discussed is not that we lost narrowly but the amount of unnecessary pressure we put on ourselves in games that are tight... and how in these games our errors have cost us, we were completely dominating the game today until Cook's error, that cost us the first try, Cooks penalty on the following kick off cost us the second try.

I would offer that had those error on error s not been made despite not being at our best we would have gone on to win.

The momentum of the game changed at that point significantly.

I am upset with the manner of our loss because we have shown in close games that we are coming up short and I think the issue is within our own hands to rectify, losing to a missed knock on or a forward pass is not in our hands thats someone elses responsibility.

i like everyone else am delighted with what we have been doing this season however I would like to think that we can debate the areas of our game which twice now have IMO cost us the two close games we have had this season.
I'm not of the mindset that Cooks error was the turning point, nor could he be blamed for that restart, it looked as though it was completely shanked to the point it was spiralling visciously and most would of had a job on trapping that, what was poor was Shenton's effort in stopping the try scorer Fleming, a 1 on 1 he got pushed aside all too easily, that got them on the board, what shifted the momentum was what followed when Adz shot out of the line looking to intercept, he came up short and opened the door for Douglas to score with his 1st touch a the ball, had Milner taken that he'd of strolled under the sticks and we'd of been 14-6 ahead, he didn't and 6-8 quickly became 20-8, not a mountain to climb, but the way we got pinged by Campbell all afternoon it didn't give us much of a chance.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Apr 2017, 20:49

I dont think they played the ball once all afternoon from where they were tackled
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 17 Apr 2017, 20:55

Fumper27 wrote:
fast hands wrote:Just been on official stains site , seems they know how we will line up, Rangi in for Benny who drops to bench, Gadwin and Matt Cook the two to miss out. We will see when we get to ground, but can't see Roberts not starting.
Erm, no they don't. They've just listed our squad in number order which just happens to be our 1-19!!!
Pretty sharp Fumper, just got back from the dark side, saw my mistake , worse than the referee today.