Today's game....

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Dave Sideshow

Re: Today's game....

Post by Dave Sideshow » 23 Apr 2017, 21:36

Realistically we are not going to go through the season without losing the frustration is that of the games we have lost we did have the opportunity to take something from the game.

We have to beat Wigan otherwise we are likely to go from top to fourth.

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 23 Apr 2017, 21:40

Even the best teams in the world lose games and have periods where they're not playing at a level capable of the team. Anyone would think we're on the verge of a crisis instead of top of the league with a very healthy points difference.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 23 Apr 2017, 21:53

Just seen the Watts high shot and it was never a sending off. Penalty yes, but never a red. Was exactly the same as Ben Roberts on Bill Tupou on Good Friday when Bill slipped as Ben made the tackle. Luke Gale was on the way down when met by Liam's tackle.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 23 Apr 2017, 22:00

Fumper27 wrote:Just seen the Watts high shot and it was never a sending off. Penalty yes, but never a red. Was exactly the same as Ben Roberts on Bill Tupou on Good Friday when Bill slipped as Ben made the tackle. Luke Gale was on the way down when met by Liam's tackle.
seen some comments from some cas fans saying he should get maximum ban and was intention to hurt Gale :lol:
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 23 Apr 2017, 22:29

Looking at where we are having played everyone once I see a team that are top of the league, having won all home games and lost only three games, all by an unconverted try or less, wins including Wigan and Warrington away and Leeds by over 60 points. We also have an unbelievable points difference
Having been on the Cas roller coaster for 55 years + with more downs than ups I feel like I am now living in an alternative reality.
Sorry if this puts me in some uncool 'brigade' (probably involving something rose- tinted) but from where I am tonight this still seems like a very special Cas side well into a very special season.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 23 Apr 2017, 22:45

Ive felt same about this cas team since pre season but if liam watts hadnt have got sent off today we were looking at a big score been put on us and we dont look the same team when luke gales not out there confidence waned a bit today beat wigan and im sure it will soon return
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 23 Apr 2017, 22:53

Funnily enough I know what you mean. It was looking bad 18 down but we actually scored 5 tries without Gale (yes, I know it was 12v 13) so it's more complicated than that. I think that whilst Benny has been on fire this season, the team had its best balance early in the season with Gale kicking left and Rangi kicking right.
I think we are just going to have to stay on the roller coaster a bit longer

Normy-Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Normy-Tiger » 23 Apr 2017, 23:01

Played everyone once.
6 away from home including Wire, Wigan, Hull, Saints, Salford. All teams who will be in the top 8.
We are top of the league with a far superior PD.

I am chuffed. If somebody said to me at start of season you would have 8 wins from 11 having to play the above teams away from home, I would of bit their hand off for it.

Now we need to follow it up and try grab another 8 wins from 11 which is very do able when we have 6 home games and away games at Hudds, Wakey and Leeds.

Be happy. You win some and you lose some but we very rarely find ourselves at the top.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 23 Apr 2017, 23:04

Glad it's not just me then!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Apr 2017, 23:55

Not read the entire thread.

We can't keep giving penalties away and making errors in the first 20 minutes and expecting to come away unpunished. It isn't good enough. Rightly or wrongly on those penalties, you have to defend your line.

For me, right now there are a few issues. There's zero intensity from kick off. The Cas of game 1 got into faces, put in every effort to force players back and keep them in their own quarter. The energy, attitude and commitment hasn't gone but it is lacking in areas.

Secondly, we don't seem to like it when teams come at us and fight fire with fire. Salford did it and Hull did it. They weren't wonderful but they ran with purpose and swung the ball about early on, making easy yards. We don't know how to defend it and we certainly don't like it when teams play us at our own game. We need to stand up and be counted.

Thirdly, we were badly let down on our edges today. Hull didn't need to beat up our forwards, they just went around it. It was clear that Powell saw the same as me when he brought Monaghan on and moved Webster across in a bid to get some go forward on the left. There will be a few players sweating on their places now and perhaps some harsh words need to be said in the sheds to knock some reality in some of these players. They set a benchmark earlier in the season and they aren't even performing at half of that.

I would also add I felt that we seem unwilling to do the basics. Sometimes it is better just to get the ball and keep turning it around on the opposition line than trying the glory pass. We need to be an adaptable side who transition from skilful play to being a boring side. DP alluded to this in his presser after the game.

I'm not disheartened in all areas. Gale going off was a blow and any side would struggle with one playmaker. You know you have to shut down Roberts and we are struggling.

I'm also a firm believer in giving Hull credit. That second half they defended excellently. Many a side with 12 men would have rolled over but they scrambled well and showed great fight and spirit.

We are top of the league but I'd rather we have our blip now than at the back end when it matters most. Perspective says most of us would be happy competing for top 4 at the season beginning so we have exceeded expectations. Perhaps a few defeats may release the pressure a little bit. Top of the league and after Wigan, we have a month where we can get back on the horse.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Apr 2017, 23:57

Oh and I also agree in moving Sene-Lefao on the edge again. Need to look at our early season form and he was a key component of that.

Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by 1973 » 24 Apr 2017, 00:03

So we have lost 3 matches so far this season by 1 point 4 points and 2 points and now everyone is saying we are doomed. We have a lot of home matches coming up which is always a bonus. We are top of the league for a reason and think we will beat Wigan. Probably a good time to get beat the game before you play the pies. Heads not in the clouds but feet firmly planted on the ground COYF.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 24 Apr 2017, 01:21

HuddsTigers wrote:Not read the entire thread.

We can't keep giving penalties away and making errors in the first 20 minutes and expecting to come away unpunished. It isn't good enough. Rightly or wrongly on those penalties, you have to defend your line.

For me, right now there are a few issues. There's zero intensity from kick off. The Cas of game 1 got into faces, put in every effort to force players back and keep them in their own quarter. The energy, attitude and commitment hasn't gone but it is lacking in areas.

Secondly, we don't seem to like it when teams come at us and fight fire with fire. Salford did it and Hull did it. They weren't wonderful but they ran with purpose and swung the ball about early on, making easy yards. We don't know how to defend it and we certainly don't like it when teams play us at our own game. We need to stand up and be counted.

Thirdly, we were badly let down on our edges today. Hull didn't need to beat up our forwards, they just went around it. It was clear that Powell saw the same as me when he brought Monaghan on and moved Webster across in a bid to get some go forward on the left. There will be a few players sweating on their places now and perhaps some harsh words need to be said in the sheds to knock some reality in some of these players. They set a benchmark earlier in the season and they aren't even performing at half of that.

I would also add I felt that we seem unwilling to do the basics. Sometimes it is better just to get the ball and keep turning it around on the opposition line than trying the glory pass. We need to be an adaptable side who transition from skilful play to being a boring side. DP alluded to this in his presser after the game.

I'm not disheartened in all areas. Gale going off was a blow and any side would struggle with one playmaker. You know you have to shut down Roberts and we are struggling.

I'm also a firm believer in giving Hull credit. That second half they defended excellently. Many a side with 12 men would have rolled over but they scrambled well and showed great fight and spirit.

We are top of the league but I'd rather we have our blip now than at the back end when it matters most. Perspective says most of us would be happy competing for top 4 at the season beginning so we have exceeded expectations. Perhaps a few defeats may release the pressure a little bit. Top of the league and after Wigan, we have a month where we can get back on the horse.
I agree with much of that but particularly the quality of the Hull defence. It was hard to believe there were 12 defenders only with the way they refused to give our edges any space today, whilst at the same time handling hard yards from Moors,Lagos and Milko in the centre. Very impressive.

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 24 Apr 2017, 05:18

On the plus side , we have now got most of the hard fixtures out of the way .
Wigan Away
Salford Away
Hull Away
Saints Away
Warrington Away
We really need to beat Wigan on Saturday though

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 24 Apr 2017, 07:03

Is gale definatly out of the wigan game now then ..teams are coming to belt him tho that was never a red card yesterday
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 24 Apr 2017, 07:09

No. Concussion protocols say a player has to wait until the sixth day before he can play again. The 6th day is Saturday so it will. E touch and go, but he can play.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 24 Apr 2017, 07:48

The annoying and frustrating thing for me is that with a little bit more composure we could've so easily been 11/11 this morning. Maybe we're lacking that little bit of "champion" experience when it comes to closing out the tight games. Hopefully, that will come with experience and we can turn these close defeats into close wins...starting Saturday.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 24 Apr 2017, 08:16

once again disappointed, I thought in the first 20 mins our starting props were ineffectual Gadwin and Andy lynch hardly seeming to tackle and making very few yards , had to this giving away penalty after penalty giving Hull a foot hold in our half we gave them the 18 points start, after their man was sent of we had a sniff of a victory but a 12 man hull tackled superbly stopping Big Jake inches short on a few occasions, SEE you all Friday COME ON YE FORD

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 24 Apr 2017, 08:25

Normy-Tiger wrote:Played everyone once.
6 away from home including Wire, Wigan, Hull, Saints, Salford. All teams who will be in the top 8.
We are top of the league with a far superior PD.

I am chuffed. If somebody said to me at start of season you would have 8 wins from 11 having to play the above teams away from home, I would of bit their hand off for it.

Now we need to follow it up and try grab another 8 wins from 11 which is very do able when we have 6 home games and away games at Hudds, Wakey and Leeds.

Be happy. You win some and you lose some but we very rarely find ourselves at the top.
Me too but i think the frustrating thing is we could have won at least 2 of them 3 if not all 3 quite easily.

No team will ever go unbeaten in SL but if you look how we played in them 3 we could be 11 from 11 and that's whats so annoying right now

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 24 Apr 2017, 08:41

gateman wrote:once again disappointed, I thought in the first 20 mins our starting props were ineffectual Gadwin and Andy lynch hardly seeming to tackle and making very few yards , had to this giving away penalty after penalty giving Hull a foot hold in our half we gave them the 18 points start, after their man was sent of we had a sniff of a victory but a 12 man hull tackled superbly stopping Big Jake inches short on a few occasions, SEE you all Friday COME ON YE FORD
I will see you all Saturday :D :D