Tom Holmes

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Re: Tom Holmes

Post by the machine » 22 May 2017, 08:42

WallTiger wrote:Toms not let anyone down and is looking more and more comfortable in the team.

I know it was a really poor kick by Maguire but it had a bit of power behind it and it could have easily been knocked on and then who knows if Leeds would have scored and been back in the game but Tom caught it brilliantly and pinned his ears back and got to the line ( how slow was Hall by the way!) that for me really knocked the stuffing out of Leeds in that second half.

That passage of play in itself will hopefully give him so much confidence and self belief.

Well played Tom :clap:
hall has become Alot slower since bulking up to the size of a prop
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 22 May 2017, 09:09

Well done to Tom Holmes. What an occasion and arena to score your first try for your home town club.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 22 May 2017, 09:18

It's hard to predict how half backs will develop, or if they ever will. Let's not forget how Luke was not long ago, playing with London and Bradford and none of the big teams interested. Williams has been playing for a long time at Wigan with the security of a good set up and Wane playing him regardless. McNally and Brierly were going all the way to the top, but look now!
I think with Tom, little and often

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 22 May 2017, 10:25

I rarely saw him in the first half. Looked out off his depth. DP maybe would have put milner to 9, mcshane to 6 if webbo hadn't have got injured.

All credit to the lad. His second half was much better. Not much attacking that but defensively targeted. He stood up well to ward and moon.

Little by little he'll get better.

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 22 May 2017, 10:32

Tigerade wrote:Well done to Tom Holmes. What an occasion and arena to score your first try for your home town club.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Cracking try and brilliant to see. It wasn't his first for the club though, he scored away at Wakefield last season.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 22 May 2017, 10:39

mart0042 wrote:I rarely saw him in the first half. Looked out off his depth. DP maybe would have put milner to 9, mcshane to 6 if webbo hadn't have got injured.

All credit to the lad. His second half was much better. Not much attacking that but defensively targeted. He stood up well to ward and moon.

I agree with that.
First half he was very quiet, in saying that we couldn't get any flow to our game.
To much of an arm wrestle.
2nd half he came into the game a bit, maybe because we were constantly pounding Leeds right side tom didn't get much of the ball, neither did mcmeeken.

After he scored that try which I'm sure as given him bags of confidence he seemed to be more involved.

Must have been a great feeling running at pace towards the 4000 cas fans who were going mental.

Has as been said, put Roberts on bench if fit to play and leave tom in the side.

robofcas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by robofcas » 22 May 2017, 11:48

No way, If Roberts is fit he must play 80mins per week. Holmes has and will continue to wait and then be ready for a full time role when he has to be. The kid is young and we have no need to sling him in week in week out if Roberts is fit.
TOP 6? stranger things happen!

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 22 May 2017, 12:28

robofcas wrote:No way, If Roberts is fit he must play 80mins per week. Holmes has and will continue to wait and then be ready for a full time role when he has to be. The kid is young and we have no need to sling him in week in week out if Roberts is fit.
If Roberts is fit he needs to play, I would like to see Holmes on the bench though to keep him involved and he can also cover hooker aswell.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 23 May 2017, 10:14

old cas lass wrote:
mart0042 wrote:I rarely saw him in the first half. Looked out off his depth. DP maybe would have put milner to 9, mcshane to 6 if webbo hadn't have got injured.

I agree with that.
First half he was very quiet, in saying that we couldn't get any flow to our game.
To much of an arm wrestle.
2nd half he came into the game a bit, maybe because we were constantly pounding Leeds right side tom didn't get much of the ball, neither did mcmeeken.

After he scored that try which I'm sure as given him bags of confidence he seemed to be more involved.

Must have been a great feeling running at pace towards the 4000 cas fans who were going mental.

Has as been said, put Roberts on bench if fit to play and leave tom in the side.
I guess that's most Cas fans dream, a full length try towards your own support, against your big city Rivals and on TV. Credit to him, he didn't panic, what a coincidence boost.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 May 2017, 12:44

Also worth pointing out that he was so close the week before vs Saints too. He's getting into the knack of backing these long range efforts :D
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 23 May 2017, 23:01

WallTiger wrote:Toms not let anyone down and is looking more and more comfortable in the team.

I know it was a really poor kick by Maguire but it had a bit of power behind it and it could have easily been knocked on and then who knows if Leeds would have scored and been back in the game but Tom caught it brilliantly and pinned his ears back and got to the line ( how slow was Hall by the way!) that for me really knocked the stuffing out of Leeds in that second half.

That passage of play in itself will hopefully give him so much confidence and self belief.

I thought hall actually gave up on the chase. not good for a winger.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 24 May 2017, 08:46

lurcher wrote:

I thought hall actually gave up on the chase. not good for a winger.
He did lurcher.
I was watching him in the back ground.
He had 'bugger it' written all over his face :D

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 24 May 2017, 10:34

Think Tom Holmes is 'ok'.

It remains to be seen if he has enough in his locker to make it.

I have a sneaking feeling we'll see Trueman before long. Anyone?
Audacter Et Sincere

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 24 May 2017, 11:00

Mysterio wrote:Think Tom Holmes is 'ok'.

It remains to be seen if he has enough in his locker to make it.

I have a sneaking feeling we'll see Trueman before long. Anyone?

As posted on a different thread... DP believes he has two English halves in Trueman & Mclelland that have the potential to be our halves for the next 10 years.