Roberts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Roberts

Post by InTheKnow » 23 Aug 2017, 06:49

Andrew6666 wrote:I was sat next to some Huddersfield fans when we played them at home this season. Roberts was the player they kept talking about (not sure he played that night) they kept saying he was the perfect half, intelligent, can kick, can tackle, can pass, everything. They kept saying he will be the reason why we win the LLS.
It's hard to disagree with. The first time we get a full season out of him and we walk away with the LLS. He's not as high profile as Gale but he still gets the job done and his pace troubles all defences.

Le Van
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Le Van » 23 Aug 2017, 07:20

I can't help but think that the re-signing of Rangi was a win win situation for us because it was like a double edged sword.

We all know how good Rangi was if it worked, it didn't, but it also showed us how good a player Benny actually is.

I personally think that it gave Benny the added motivation to show us what he's got in his locker after 2 injury hit mediocre seasons.

One of our most consistent players all season with excellent performances nearly every week.

He'll get the number 6 back next season for sure.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 23 Aug 2017, 07:41

Ben is showing that we are not a one trick pony , going down the left hand side EVERY time, we have now become dangerous on both sides of the park spreading the defenders, with Luke on one side and benny working the other I would not swap our half back combination for any other in the league

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 23 Aug 2017, 09:24

Benny seems to be coming to the boil at exactly the right time for us. He's a diamond of an all rounder and genuinely scares defences and has the rare ability to change a game in the blink of an eye.

If we achieve the ultimate dream in October I think he will be at the very heart of it.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 23 Aug 2017, 10:38

Anyone think daryll 's taclics was to use that right side like we've been using the left
After watching it twice on tv and once live, I noticed we used our right side much more with zak linking up like he as done on the left.
Thought it great tactics and it well and truely paid off.

It's going to make a lot of teams either go back to the drawing board regarding closing our left down or leave more space because they now need to close our right down.

Daryll is a super magician.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 23 Aug 2017, 10:47

old cas lass wrote:Anyone think daryll 's taclics was to use that right side like we've been using the left
After watching it twice on tv and once live, I noticed we used our right side much more with zak linking up like he as done on the left.

It's going to make a lot of teams either go back to the drawing board regarding closing our left down or leave more space because they now need to close our right down.

They had Tupou on wing and MCB in centre v Jake. Also flimsy Miller was 'defending' that edge so we had to go that side. V weak.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 23 Aug 2017, 10:58

old cas lass wrote:Anyone think daryll 's taclics was to use that right side like we've been using the left

IMO use of our right side depends a lot on Webster. When Webbo is there it completes a very potent set of skills with Roberts creativity, and the strike power of McMeeken and Webbo. In addition, all 3 are excellent defenders. Although Minikin was signed as a centre, he just doesn't provide the same all round quality.
Another facet that Ben has is his versatility being able to create havoc from SO or hooker and I'm sure he could play anywhere selected (except maybe prop!)
It's no surprise to me that Roberts looks an even better player with Webster at right centre and this combination gives us an equally exciting option as our left side and must make opposing teams poo themselves.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 23 Aug 2017, 11:17

Totally agree. :D

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 23 Aug 2017, 11:53

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Totally agree. :D
Does Wardle play on the right? If so he'd be Webbo's natural replacement.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 23 Aug 2017, 22:22

its actually zac who makes the call of which flank we are attacking after he's assessed how the defence has numbered up. brian mcd didn't trust him with that responsibility at whino's
jo brand is eddie warings love child

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Aug 2017, 22:30

Actually I agree with OCL.

I made a comment a few weeks back after the Saints game that we had become stale and predictable as we stocked up on the left and our right wasn't as effective.

There has been a noticeable shift in our attacking down the right with Hardaker now using both sides. Key is to use them both effectively in the same game now and we will click.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 24 Aug 2017, 12:16

I'm happy/relieved Daryl & the team have tweaked our game.

I wouldn't be surprised if during our blistering start to the season they adlreafy anticipated defences stacking the left edge eventually.

The double run around hadn't be utilised for s while either; I'm sure there's other training ground moves being hatched too.

Let's hope it all culminates for an epic semi final and grand final performance. I actually am starting to believe we'll take the superleague trophy; rather than dare to dream.

I just hope and pray leeds don't do us in the final.
Audacter Et Sincere

dannycampbellsshorts

Post by dannycampbellsshorts » 24 Aug 2017, 12:25

SuffolkTiger wrote:Benny seems to be coming to the boil at exactly the right time for us. He's a diamond of an all rounder and genuinely scares defences and has the rare ability to change a game in the blink of an eye.

If we achieve the ultimate dream in October I think he will be at the very heart of it.
Opinions etc but if Roberts was as good as many Cas fans like to think then why is he in SL and not in the NRL. If you are good enough surely the NRL is where you would be and earningh far more. It applies to others too BTW such as Tomkins. I never buy homesick for players leaving either the NRL and/or SL. James Graham proves that if you are good enough you stay in the NRL.

dannycampbellsshorts

Post by dannycampbellsshorts » 24 Aug 2017, 12:29

Mysterio wrote:I'm happy/relieved Daryl & the team have tweaked our game.

I wouldn't be surprised if during our blistering start to the season they adlreafy anticipated defences stacking the left edge eventually.

The double run around hadn't be utilised for s while either; I'm sure there's other training ground moves being hatched too.

Let's hope it all culminates for an epic semi final and grand final performance. I actually am starting to believe we'll take the superleague trophy; rather than dare to dream.

I just hope and pray leeds don't do us in the final.
Teams have to make the final first. Not PC with British fans but defence is the key improvement for Cas in 2017. It wins matches and always will past and present. Idiots like Schofield ignore that the great British test era were built on vastly superior defence first and foremost.

JJ
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JJ » 24 Aug 2017, 12:31

He played 148 games in the NRL , 5 international games for NZ and 12 international games for Samoa - that suggests you are talking nonsense

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 24 Aug 2017, 12:41

dannycampbellsshorts wrote:
SuffolkTiger wrote:Benny seems to be coming to the boil at exactly the right time for us. He's a diamond of an all rounder and genuinely scares defences and has the rare ability to change a game in the blink of an eye.

Opinions etc but if Roberts was as good as many Cas fans like to think then why is he in SL and not in the NRL. If you are good enough surely the NRL is where you would be and earningh far more. It applies to others too BTW such as Tomkins. I never buy homesick for players leaving either the NRL and/or SL. James Graham proves that if you are good enough you stay in the NRL.
The same reason most NRL players come over here. Different lifestyle, new opportunity, break through monotony, to make a name for themselves and more money than NRL clubs are offering.

He was behind Widdop and Cronk at Melbourne and probably got fed up of being offered 1 year deals. Cas offered him a longer-term deal and first team rugby, all the hallmarks of what players want - security. He could probably have gone back to the NRL at some point if he wanted to but why do so if you're happy and enjoying your footy.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 24 Aug 2017, 21:45

HuddsTigers wrote:

The same reason most NRL players come over here. Different lifestyle, new opportunity, break through monotony, to make a name for themselves and more money than NRL clubs are offering.

He was behind Widdop and Cronk at Melbourne and probably got fed up of being offered 1 year deals. Cas offered him a longer-term deal and first team rugby, all the hallmarks of what players want - security. He could probably have gone back to the NRL at some point if he wanted to but why do so if you're happy and enjoying your footy.
From what I was told, Benny was indeed fed up of being third choice at Melbourne but was not offered a deal by any other NRL club.
He desperately wanted out of Storm to the extent that he was on the verge of signing with a Japanese kick and clap club when Cas offered him a deal.
The rest as they say is history!

PSTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by PSTiger » 24 Aug 2017, 23:00

HuddsTigers wrote:

He wasn't behind Widdop. Widdop left and Benny joined. He played most games that he wasn't injured but he didn't see much ball due to Smith Cronk and Slater making all the plays. I suspect he is on more money here than he was at Melbourne and like you say wanted the security of a 3 year deal.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 25 Aug 2017, 17:41

My bad.

But then they also brought in Blake Green in 2015 and also had Cameron Munster signed up from 2014 onwards too, so he fell down the pecking order.

I suspect unfortunately, he was seen nothing more than a stop-gap and that's why he left Melbourne.