Very very poor across the team

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Very very poor across the team

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 19 Jun 2017, 06:42

Do we know the penalty count

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 19 Jun 2017, 06:50

thought patrick ran the ball in well and looked ok for 1st game of season. sims would be a good addition now i think, lynch in 2 spells played about 20 mins overall which is poor. but having said all that we was 1 good pass away from winning the game, im not blaming roberts because he played great just that pass was the difference between the two teams and the blatently one sided ref

bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by bane73 » 19 Jun 2017, 06:53

chesterfieldtiger wrote:Do we know the penalty count
14-3 penalty count. Get over it people it's one game and we're not off to Wembley, time, to regroup onto bigger and better things. All cas aren't we?
what doesn't kill me simply makes me...stranger.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 19 Jun 2017, 07:15

Hull won penalties near our line because they had more penetration, more yardage in the middle, and much of that was gained by our errors. If I could pick the game-changer, it was when Michael lost the ball when we were about level. Had we controlled things better when we took the lead we would have won. Don't blame the ref, all those kickable penalties were justified, and I was glad they took the goal kicks because with more confidence they could have turned those into tries.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Jun 2017, 07:26

orrsome wrote:Am I mistaken or did we score the same number of tries as Hull and lost to 4 penalties that were very kickable? I concede that Hull were ( just) the better side but Cas were penalised at every opportunity where Hull got away with so much- the Eden tackle in the air being a case in point.
Overall we came up short by a team that were just that bit better than us but they were given a good deal of help by a real homer ref.

Watch it back some of the penalties were simply daft. Like Milner in front of the sticks.Player was tacked and he came in a swung his arm at minichello head. Ref had no choice

chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 19 Jun 2017, 07:43

I agree that some were daft but 14-3 ? Please!

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 19 Jun 2017, 07:59

If we cut the stupid penilties out at the play of the ball,we have a chance on winning close games,these stupid decisions cost us yards and point and in this case the game,end a day we habe to clean the ruck up especailly when you have a ref like BENThem

chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 19 Jun 2017, 08:23

But they were doing the same and worse but weren't penalised. Consistency is all I ask

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 19 Jun 2017, 08:28

The penalties create momentum and also anyone who has played the game will know defence saps energy.
Back to back sets
Retaining possession
Momentum
Dramatically drains the opposition
Add in the weather conditions

Recipe for only one outcome.

We were just bossed all over the park
Hull are our nemesis this year and we just have no answer to their physical style
I think we've too many players in the middle unit that are of the same mould
Massey Milner Foster Holmes Larroyer all will do minutes and graft but will and bust a tackle or really rattle a big ball carrying prop
Millo is a 13 and were using Meeks and JSL as fringe runners.
We need some size and abrasion

Whether this stat is true or not Metres gained
Hull 1300
Cas 800

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 19 Jun 2017, 08:40

I couldn't get there yesterday so ended up watching it on TV. In my opinion the referee didn't get a lot wrong...we were blatantly holding down, Hull were very clever how they were only holding on at scruffy play of the balls. very intelligent play. Rather than blame the referee, we should be looking at the poor defense, Minikin for their second try and then Shauls try was just plain awful defensively.

I still think this team is the best in the league, just need to sure our discipline up and be willing to go back to basics when needed. The 2 weeks we will now get off will help with player burn out towards the end of the season.

Anyway, we move on to Friday and another big game at Headingley where we can put the wrongs of yesterday right again. Salford are away at Saints and Wakey are at Hull. If results go our way, we could wake up on Saturday morning 8 points clear at the top and that would make things a whole lot rosier.
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 19 Jun 2017, 09:50

No complaints about the ref, he got most of the decisions right. We were very poor, to many soft penalties given away, no "go forward" by any of our front 6. We missed Moors, Cook , & Springer big time to come on as subs to get us gaining some ground. Outplayed all over the park,and we could not cope with their big pack and backs. Foster & Larroyer are to much like our second rowers, mobile enough but not much weight. We needed a couple of big heavy, nasty subs to come on, which we did not have.

We will miss Moors big time in the next 10 weeks.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 19 Jun 2017, 10:13

We lost to the better, smarter, team simple as. A couple of decisions could have gone gone the other way yea but the majority were correct and because Hull out muscled us up front the doninated the ruck and when that happens you tend to win the penalties. No complaints there and anyone who thinks that it was purely down to the ref doesn't know much about rugby league. We need to be smarter and be anle to adapt in games when plan A isn't working. And we need another prop.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 19 Jun 2017, 10:41

I've read a lot on various pages forums since the game and tbh it's pretty disappointing some of the critism the players have received.for me this was always a game we could lose,it was the toughest draw we could have got and so it proved. The onething we needed to do yesterday we failed to do and that was start well and don't give them a sniff,this was the difference in the end and left us chasing a game both in terms of points and energy. Has poor has we were I don't think there was much in it maybe because hull played the percentage game in which they were just happy to run at our ruck all day and it paved the way for us having poor field position and a raft of penalties which also played into hulls hands giving their big men plenty of rest whilst they kicked for goal.

All in all it was more frustrating than anything but we must take positives from the game that they never really got away from us and with a very limited amount of quality ball we opened them up pretty easy. I don't think we should panic although we have a tough month coming up against our nearest rivals I'd be happy if we were to get 3 wins from our remaining 5 games,Leeds will be hard to beat given what yesterday has taken out of us but I expect a much improved display especially down the middle. Maybe yesterday was a blessing in disguise and having a fresh team come September can only help us make sure we get that home semi final,who knows maybe against a team that doesn't get a week off all year that's when we should judge the team has that's the acid test. COYF

Wildie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Wildie » 19 Jun 2017, 11:07

Well guys, I have read this thread, and to sum up - thank you for saving your 2 awful performances this year for when you have played us. We had this last season, we beat teams in their worst game of the season.

I thought we we were more than 8 points better than you yesterday and controlled the game for the most part. It was frustrating watching us kick the penalties each time, as we were getting our noses through the line regularly and I am sure we would have scored more tries. However, knock out rugby is about getting points when you can, and how you can to progress, which is what we did - whether it was 4 tries a piece, or had we scored another 4.

I see the ref is taking a battering from some posters on here. If the attacking team is getting on their fronts, dominating the collision, and are not able to take advantage of that due to interference, hands in, leaving feet and knees in the tackle, then it is a penalty. The reason Cas didn't get these penalties is because you rarely won a collision with the ball - simple.

Eden was tackled in the air, but the VR cannot decide on that as it wasn't in the process of scoring a try - and had it been given, where is the certainty that it would have resulted in a try in the resulting set?

You are a great side to watch, but as I said on here after the league game - you really need a plan B. You need to look at how you can get more bodies into the tackle, which can result in a slower play the ball - and prevent teams like us from getting that go forward, winning collisions, and getting penalties due to your inability to enforce a dominant tackle.

You will get the LLS - but I think the gap will be less than the 6 it is now, more like 2-3 points. In fact, I think Leeds may do you on Friday due to your energy levels, but then I also think Wakefield may beat us. You have to agree though. it is better to be at the top and competing for the honours rather than plodding along in 6th/7th position!

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Jun 2017, 12:36

StevieTheTV wrote:I couldn't get there yesterday so ended up watching it on TV. In my opinion the referee didn't get a lot wrong...we were blatantly holding down, Hull were very clever how they were only holding on at scruffy play of the balls. very intelligent play. Rather than blame the referee, we should be looking at the poor defense, Minikin for their second try and then Shauls try was just plain awful defensively.

I still think this team is the best in the league, just need to sure our discipline up and be willing to go back to basics when needed. The 2 weeks we will now get off will help with player burn out towards the end of the season.

Anyway, we move on to Friday and another big game at Headingley where we can put the wrongs of yesterday right again. Salford are away at Saints and Wakey are at Hull. If results go our way, we could wake up on Saturday morning 8 points clear at the top and that would make things a whole lot rosier.
The one on Mcmeeken just after we went 18-16 up was harsh watching it back. That went on all game and Hull laid on for alot longer all the time.

Richall

Post by Richall » 19 Jun 2017, 13:09

My opinion on the penalty count is we are too nice we get tackled wait til there players got up then got up and played the ball, Hull on the other hand were wriggling about then diving back down on the floor and Bentham was taking it hook line and sinker everytime now weather that's good play on hull's behalf or plain cheating I will let you all decide

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Jun 2017, 13:13

Yeah they tried to by a penalty every tackle so suprised we only got pinned 14 times
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 19 Jun 2017, 13:47

Whilst sat in the queue on the A63 I said to Mrs FC that we need to get the tactics right for the heat. It was inevitable that Hull would come at us strong down the middle, using their big men to the best of their ability. We needed to hold them out and then play an expansive game to run them across the park and tire them out. As Bill Shankly used to say, the ball never gets tired.

One of the very few negative comments about Powell at Fev was that the team 'bottled' the 'big games' with the claim that in spite of playing expansive rugby all season, for some reason they kept reverting to one-out rugby in the finals.

For some reason unknown to us, we got drawn into playing one-out rugby against a team that is soley designed to play and defend that way.

Yes, the penalties killed us but most of them were technically correct although I do believe Hull were equally as bad at clearing the play-the-ball but were only penalised in our 20/30 and not in their half like we were. Equally , the last Cas play should have gone our way on two accounts but at that stage time was against us anyway.

I'm sure the plan will be reinforced before the play-offs but we need to stick to our style of rugby to prove the boring style does not win.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

init
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by init » 19 Jun 2017, 15:38

As i said yesterday disappointed but over it now......Hulls tactics beat ours.....DP said as much in the post match interview and said it was up to him n the staff to come up with a way to counter it....there is one thing i am absolutely sure of is if DP says they are working on it there is no better coach anywhere in rugby to make it happen.......

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 19 Jun 2017, 15:54

ERG2012 wrote:The penalties create momentum and also anyone who has played the game will know defence saps energy.
Back to back sets
Retaining possession
Momentum
Dramatically drains the opposition
Add in the weather conditions

Recipe for only one outcome.

We were just bossed all over the park
Hull are our nemesis this year and we just have no answer to their physical style
I think we've too many players in the middle unit that are of the same mould
Massey Milner Foster Holmes Larroyer all will do minutes and graft but will and bust a tackle or really rattle a big ball carrying prop
Millo is a 13 and were using Meeks and JSL as fringe runners.
We need some size and abrasion

Whether this stat is true or not Metres gained
Hull 1300
Cas 800
You echo my thoughts exactly. Don't know if stat is right but sounds plausible. Still think Powell will find a way past them. But they are a good side on their day. The most physical side in the league. Similar to how Salford beat us but in contrasting weather.