'Knock-out football'

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

'Knock-out football'

Post by Nu Shooze » 18 Jun 2017, 23:22

Knock-out football is something Radford has mentioned all week and again today. So did his players. It's clear they saw today's game as something different and took a 'win at all costs' approach and it worked.

I'm not sure we have that in us yet; the ability to adapt. All the good teams are able to change their game and tough it out. I fear that until we learn that we will struggle when it matters.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: 'Knock-out football'

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 18 Jun 2017, 23:26

Saints wouldn't agree
Nor Wigan on 2014.
Why do we choose to ignore it when we win knock out games?

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 18 Jun 2017, 23:36

Tamworth Tiger wrote:Saints wouldn't agree
Nor Wigan on 2014.
Because it doesn't fit the narrative fans and the media are trying to start up.

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 19 Jun 2017, 00:00

Nor Wigan on 2014.
Wigan was a good win; no doubt about that, but in the final Leeds snuffed us out completely.

We were ripping it up week after week in the league but Leeds came with a dull-as-ditchwater game and just kicked us to death.

Might take us a while but seems we're not quite there yet.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 19 Jun 2017, 01:47

That was really good tactics from the coach and a team with massive experience and a desperation to win at Wembley against a team still learning. I agree we are still learning but this year we have shown that we can learn from setbacks and take apart the so called 'big 4' with ease
I agree that we still need to win something but in one of our poorer performances today we still matched Hull try for try and I am convinced that on our own turf we will take them apart too

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Jun 2017, 07:17

Nu Shooze wrote:
Nor Wigan on 2014.
Wigan was a good win; no doubt about that, but in the final Leeds snuffed us out completely.

We were ripping it up week after week in the league but Leeds came with a dull-as-ditchwater game and just kicked us to death.

Hull tactics 5 drives with the big guys and a kick. No daft pens = Win

Boring as hell but they are still in the cup

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Jun 2017, 07:20

Tamworth Tiger wrote:That was really good tactics from the coach and a team with massive experience and a desperation to win at Wembley against a team still learning. I agree we are still learning but this year we have shown that we can learn from setbacks and take apart the so called 'big 4' with ease
I agree that we still need to win something but in one of our poorer performances today we still matched Hull try for try and I am convinced that on our own turf we will take them apart too
Going to have to win big games away or on neutral grand if we want to win a trophy. Be a shame if all these hammerings and great rugby came to nothing this year.

Been best team week in week out by a mile so far but counts for nothing. Its going to come down to 2 games on Oct to see if we win a trophy.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 19 Jun 2017, 07:47

If we ignore the massive achievement, should we do it if finishing top of the league for the first time in our history

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 19 Jun 2017, 08:25

The LLS is important as one of three available domestic trophies. The ones who talk about it being meaningless are generally the ones not top of the league. The Grand Final is great as a showpiece, and the winners are called champions, but let's not forget that it is an artificial creation hyped up to overshadow Wembley, a process designed to raise money and to keep the season meaningful for longer. It doesn't happen in the football premiership or the cricket county championship. But we have what we have, and the LLS is only devalued because a lower ranked team can still be champions by winning KO football. I for one will value us winning the LLS, and would still love a grand final appearance, but if we lose another semi-final eliminator it should not overshadow our success and the added value it brings.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 19 Jun 2017, 11:40

fords wrote:
Nu Shooze wrote:
Nor Wigan on 2014.

Exactly, Radford told us all week how they were going to play and said he didn't think we had it in us to go set for set, whilst his boys had patiance in abundance.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Jun 2017, 12:13

Sharlotiger wrote:
fords wrote:
Nu Shooze wrote:
Nor Wigan on 2014.

Exactly, Radford told us all week how they were going to play and said he didn't think we had it in us to go set for set, whilst his boys had patiance in abundance.
Yep our lot i'm sure find it boring and prefer to throw it about in every set trying to score a magical try when actually up the jumper boring 5 drives and a kick to corner when you nudge in front would have done the job.

Looks great when they come off but they never will every time in every set.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 19 Jun 2017, 13:01

we want to put everything into staying top of the league and winning some silverware in the form of LLS.it would be a great accomplishment for us as I think it was clear to many of us watching that we will not win the BIG ONE OFF game that will be a grand final.i would love to be wrong but at the minute don't think we can.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 19 Jun 2017, 13:51

Bramley Tiger wrote:we want to put everything into staying top of the league and winning some silverware in the form of LLS.it would be a great accomplishment for us as I think it was clear to many of us watching that we will not win the BIG ONE OFF game that will be a grand final.i would love to be wrong but at the minute don't think we can.
It will be very different on a cool, usually wet, night in October.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 19 Jun 2017, 15:58

Flat Capper wrote:
Bramley Tiger wrote:we want to put everything into staying top of the league and winning some silverware in the form of LLS.it would be a great accomplishment for us as I think it was clear to many of us watching that we will not win the BIG ONE OFF game that will be a grand final.i would love to be wrong but at the minute don't think we can.
This is my thinking. Esp if Hull/Leeds/Salf have been in CC semis and final and have had no rest. Some big bodies and dsome aging bodies in those teams who may struggle come business end. I have faith we win 1 and very possibly 2 trophies come end of the year.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 19 Jun 2017, 16:36

Flat Capper wrote:
You mean a little bit like it was at Salford earlier in the year?

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 19 Jun 2017, 18:04

Can't even think why people are thinking like that. We do usually win on neutral grounds,I.e. Leigh Sporting Village Cup Semi, Magic Weekends. We do win away at big clubs, e.g. Wire and Wigan.
We were out thought three years ago at Wembley with a very different and less experienced team. We now have 6 players in the England set up. We lost away on goal kicks against a very determined team who want to hang on to the cup. Let's see how they do at the Jungle in a couple of weeks. Losing 4 games out of 19 isn't evidence of a side that chokes

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 19 Jun 2017, 18:07

Tamworth Tiger wrote:
Can't even think why people are thinking like that. We do usually win on neutral grounds,I.e. Leigh Sporting Village Cup Semi, Magic Weekends. We do win away at big clubs, e.g. Wire and Wigan.
We were out thought three years ago at Wembley with a very different and less experienced team. We now have 6 players in the England set up. We lost away on goal kicks against a very determined team who want to hang on to the cup. Let's see how they do at the Jungle in a couple of weeks. Losing 4 games out of 19 isn't evidence of a side that chokes
Correct :clap:

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 19 Jun 2017, 18:10

Hmmm how time s have changed for me anyway.............
Can remember the sixties when we had a league of 30 clubs and the ONLY pleasure of a win was Batley, Dewsbury , Donny. and Liverpool City ( remember them) at home, an way win was as rare as a Green Dove.
Keighley, Huddersfield, Fax , Rochdale H tonking us at Wheldon Road was the norm ......beat Leeds six times on the trot ....................fantasy.
Now where are we, Top Of The League, on course for some sort of Silver ware, in the minds of all Sl fans, playing the attractive rugby that was ALWAYS synonymous with Castleford, the 'darlings' of the media.
I personally don't give a rats arris if we win a trophy, its just been a momentous season and in view of what I've suffered following this great team Ill always KEEP THE FAITH

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 19 Jun 2017, 19:00

the happy hooker9 wrote:Hmmm how time s have changed for me anyway.............
Can remember the sixties when we had a league of 30 clubs and the ONLY pleasure of a win was Batley, Dewsbury , Donny. and Liverpool City ( remember them) at home, an way win was as rare as a Green Dove.
Keighley, Huddersfield, Fax , Rochdale H tonking us at Wheldon Road was the norm ......beat Leeds six times on the trot ....................fantasy.
Now where are we, Top Of The League, on course for some sort of Silver ware, in the minds of all Sl fans, playing the attractive rugby that was ALWAYS synonymous with Castleford, the 'darlings' of the media.
I personally don't give a rats arris if we win a trophy, its just been a momentous season and in view of what I've suffered following this great team Ill always KEEP THE FAITH
We used to beat Bradford Northern also. I remember selling them Albert Tonkinson on the never - never, and I don't think we ever got paid!
These are the good times, enjoy them.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 19 Jun 2017, 19:52

Tamworth Tiger wrote:
I just call it how I see it.if we go all out to win LLS then we have accomplished something-the bonus being we get a home draw in semi final giving us a shout at making a grand final.i just happen to not think we are quite ready for the ultimate step up.most grand finals are not won by blowouts and I see little evidence that our players can win a tight one in the most pressurised of circumstances.of course I hope I am wrong but until we actually win something then the doubts must remain.