off side rule

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: off side rule

Post by derbystiger » 24 Jun 2017, 12:44

johnson wrote:Try should have stood foster looked to be level and had nothing to do with Briscoe losing the ball. No conclusive evidance he was off side from the kick - try.
^^^This. Given up as a try, no conclusive evidence to overturn, try should stand. The video ref system is shocking at best

WallTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WallTiger » 24 Jun 2017, 14:46

Sharlotiger wrote:
RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:No way is that conclusive that he was in front. On field decision.shpuld mean it's a try as many have said. Bentham is dire.
The ruling by the video ref was correct, Foster had been called offside by the touch judge and Hicks only asked the video ref to check if he was in the 10 which he clearly was.
If called by the touch judge then surely should have gone up as a 'no try' in which case we probably wouldn't have been arguing about the inconclusive nature of it. But as it went up as a try and it was a tight call then it should have been given imo.

Although for me it's time to get rid of this try/no try farce anyway! Also and it's been a big bug bear of mine for a long time and I know there's not enough money in the game but we either need a video ref at every game or at none at all. I watched the tries from the Hudds/Wigan game and Burgess' try in real time looks suspiciously like it was grounded on or even behind the deadball line and would have certainly gone to the VR had it been televised. Now it may well have been a legitimate try but without the benefit of seeing it again from several angles it was given and who knows if that might have cost Hudds the win.

yorkie1bn
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by yorkie1bn » 24 Jun 2017, 21:05

Who's betting we get Bentham for Fridays game.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 24 Jun 2017, 21:19

yorkie1bn wrote:Who's betting we get Bentham for Fridays game.
Or even worse, Thaler. He would love nothing more than to try and help the pack close in.

Herbert Latch
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Herbert Latch » 24 Jun 2017, 23:50

Don't understand the Thaler bit, apart from Wigan at home last season. Apart from that, over the last 3 years he's been far and away the best referee we have had. If anyone wants to dispute that, name me another game where he has been blatantly poor towards us. I will go along with prior to 3 years ago but there are many more referees I could name also.

The only problem with BT is you don't want him against Wigan. Apart from that he is has been more than OK, and is better than, or at least comparable with any other referee.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 25 Jun 2017, 15:07

I find the constant whining about the refs irritating. No ref has favourites, no ref cheats. The Leeds fans forum writing about Friday's match ref...guess what...he allowed Cas to get away with offside, with laying on, etc etc. Brian Mac, to his credit, didn't blame the ref even though he was given the opportunity. I've refereed some amateur RL, and believe me, you please nobody.
No wonder we have a recruitment problem for match officials.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 25 Jun 2017, 15:15

Herbert Latch wrote:Don't understand the Thaler bit, apart from Wigan at home last season. Apart from that, over the last 3 years he's been far and away the best referee we have had. If anyone wants to dispute that, name me another game where he has been blatantly poor towards us. I will go along with prior to 3 years ago but there are many more referees I could name also.

The only problem with BT is you don't want him against Wigan. Apart from that he is has been more than OK, and is better than, or at least comparable with any other referee.
Robbed us at home v Saints which could have secured us the league title Herbert in 2014. That was his worst for us. Catalans away springs to mind too.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 25 Jun 2017, 16:36

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
Herbert Latch wrote:Don't understand the Thaler bit, apart from Wigan at home last season. Apart from that, over the last 3 years he's been far and away the best referee we have had. If anyone wants to dispute that, name me another game where he has been blatantly poor towards us. I will go along with prior to 3 years ago but there are many more referees I could name also.

Robbed us at home v Saints which could have secured us the league title Herbert in 2014. That was his worst for us. Catalans away springs to mind too.
how the hell can you claim a game in April cost is the LLS.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 25 Jun 2017, 19:48

Fumper27 wrote:

I clearly said 'it could have'. I am not suggesting the league is won in April :roll: That game was a 4 point swing come the end of the year between us and the team that finished first. How can it not have had a massive influence on Saints pipping us? :lol:

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 25 Jun 2017, 21:20

Fumper27 wrote:

I clearly said 'it could have'. I am not suggesting the league is won in April :roll: That game was a 4 point swing come the end of the year between us and the team that finished first. How can it not have had a massive influence on Saints pipping us? :lol:
You answered yourself. It happened in April!! Every team could point to multiple things that happen in February & March and say "it cost us"

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 25 Jun 2017, 22:17

Fumper27 wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:

You answered yourself. It happened in April!! Every team could point to multiple things that happen in February & March and say "it cost us"
Not every team get to the end of the season one win away from winning the league, having lost to the eventual winners in contentious fashion. If you don't think that game (and Thaler's decisions) had a significant impact on the LLS then we'll have to agree to disagree.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 25 Jun 2017, 22:46

Bigger impact was us bottling the last game of the season in France when we'd have won the shield had we bothered showing up
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 26 Jun 2017, 00:31

the machine wrote:Bigger impact was us bottling the last game of the season in France when we'd have won the shield had we bothered showing up
Don't think we bottled it. We looked absolutely gassed. Those remaining games and into the play offs we were awul and it felt like we had nothing left. Challenge Cup seemed to have totally taken it out of us.

ellsswfctiger

Post by ellsswfctiger » 26 Jun 2017, 13:33

Fumper27 wrote:
flood light tiger wrote:I agree with Phil Clarke that the rfl as to look at the ten yard rule foster was not interfering with play even though he was within the ten metres of the defending player. That player lost the ball due to other cas players that was on side it is a ridiculous rule and should be got rid of. If you are within the ten play on as long that player does not interfere with play
After all that well done boys
Agree with this. In general play, if a player is offside, the ref calls it, that player is allowed to retreat the 10 and then join in play. Foster clearly made no difference to Briscoe dropping the ball and, therefore, common sense tells you that play should've been allowed to continue. Then again, we're talking about Bentham, who couldn't see Eden being tackled a foot in the air last Sunday!!!

After watching the replay for 2 minutes as well at hull...

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 26 Jun 2017, 13:53

Can someone clarify the rule for me; is a player offside if his back foot is still in line with the ball when it's kicked?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 26 Jun 2017, 14:19

Think both feet behind.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 26 Jun 2017, 14:29

ellsswfctiger wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
flood light tiger wrote:I agree with Phil Clarke that the rfl as to look at the ten yard rule foster was not interfering with play even though he was within the ten metres of the defending player. That player lost the ball due to other cas players that was on side it is a ridiculous rule and should be got rid of. If you are within the ten play on as long that player does not interfere with play
Agree with this. In general play, if a player is offside, the ref calls it, that player is allowed to retreat the 10 and then join in play. Foster clearly made no difference to Briscoe dropping the ball and, therefore, common sense tells you that play should've been allowed to continue. Then again, we're talking about Bentham, who couldn't see Eden being tackled a foot in the air last Sunday!!!

Referees follows the laws, not make them, so they are not allowed to decide whether the offside player is interfering, only if he's within 10 m when the dropped ball occurs. My worry about the decision was whether Foster was actually offside at all, and the try given on the field. I wonder how difficult it would be to create that line across the pitch to assist the video ref to remove doubt. I certainly don't hold with bent refs.

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 26 Jun 2017, 15:04

cogito ergo sum wrote:
ellsswfctiger wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:

Referees follows the laws, not make them, so they are not allowed to decide whether the offside player is interfering, only if he's within 10 m when the dropped ball occurs. My worry about the decision was whether Foster was actually offside at all, and the try given on the field. I wonder how difficult it would be to create that line across the pitch to assist the video ref to remove doubt. I certainly don't hold with bent refs.
The problem with that is the referee had already called Foster offside during the play, so by the very same rule in which the decision couldn't be overturned with Eden being taken out in the air last week, Foster was always offside from the kick on Friday. The VR could only check whether he was within 10m of the Leeds winger when the attempted catch was made.
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 26 Jun 2017, 15:08

Is it 10 m radius or 10 m back?

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 26 Jun 2017, 15:15

TT Tiger wrote:Is it 10 m radius or 10 m back?
Radius.