Top Trumps

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Top Trumps

Post by casjunction » 17 Aug 2017, 12:34

Just a little light hearted fun.
My father in law introduced me both to rugby league and more importantly to Cas.
Tonight he will be sitting in the stand with my wife (his daughter)
He prefers to stand but it tends to wear him out.
Plus there may be a lot of celebratory dancing about.
So he's Eighty Eight and a half years old and has been watching Cas for more than eighty years.
Does this make him our oldest fan and the one who has watched them the longest?
Prize for anyone who beats this ,taken on trust of a bottle of Malt Whisky or Gin.
Just a distraction seven and a half hours to go.
.C.O.Y.F.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Top Trumps

Post by InTheKnow » 17 Aug 2017, 12:40

casjunction wrote:Just a little light hearted fun.
My father in law introduced me both to rugby league and more importantly to Cas.
Tonight he will be sitting in the stand with my wife (his daughter)
He prefers to stand but it tends to wear him out.
Plus there may be a lot of celebratory dancing about.
So he's Eighty Eight and a half years old and has been watching Cas for more than eighty years.
Does this make him our oldest fan and the one who has watched them the longest?
Prize for anyone who beats this ,taken on trust of a bottle of Malt Whisky or Gin.
Just a distraction seven and a half hours to go.
.C.O.Y.F.
I bet he is over the moon and never thought he would see a night like tonight down the lane. Superb. I'm lucky at 28 to see this and hopefully it will only be a start of things to come.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 17 Aug 2017, 12:44

Hammers me by more than 45 year.....only been watching since 81

Hope he (and the rest of your family) really enjoys the night and he finally gets to see what we all have been waiting for all these years....

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 17 Aug 2017, 12:50

Think OCL and Lurcher will run him close!!!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 17 Aug 2017, 12:53

I think most on here know I've been watch since I was a nipper of 3yrs old.
I'm 61 now 62 next month, so that makes it nearly 59yrs.
Never thought I'd see us finish top of the pile.
So glad am here to witness it.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 17 Aug 2017, 12:54

Fumper27 wrote:Think OCL and Lurcher will run him close!!!

Haha, not quite.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 17 Aug 2017, 15:19

Some performances in the distant past have made me feel very old, not saying I am a spring chicken neither. But this team all round will take some beating, and we have them for at least a couple of seasons more if not longer, and we are' buying', as my mate said, Liverpool bought when they were a top team, we are doing the same.

hawktiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by hawktiger » 18 Aug 2017, 10:05

just for info my dad is 91, a season ticket holder and was born in 1926 when cas entered the RFL

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 Aug 2017, 10:12

Night like last night mean probably more for our older fanbase than it does at the younger end of the scale. My Grandad is 83, Cas and proud, followed them all over. I'm so proud for him more than anything that he got to witness this, especially now being someone who is finding it difficult to get down to games.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 18 Aug 2017, 10:33

hawktiger wrote:just for info my dad is 91, a season ticket holder and was born in 1926 when cas entered the RFL
Wow that's fantastic.
He should of been on pitch with the Trophy.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 18 Aug 2017, 11:29

hawktiger wrote:just for info my dad is 91, a season ticket holder and was born in 1926 when cas entered the RFL
Top Trumps that man.
I hope you and your dad enjoyed yourselves last night.
Pm me to arrange to receive your prize.
C.O.Y.F.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 18 Aug 2017, 11:48

That is brilliant Hawktiger. :clap:

hawktiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by hawktiger » 21 Aug 2017, 09:31

Ironically he played for Wakefield

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 21 Aug 2017, 09:42

I am 78 years young started watching CAS when I was about 17 , Kenny Pye Albert Lunn Tonkinson John Sheridan if I remember rightly were playing at the time, we were bumping along at the bottom of the league what a journey it as been

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 22 Aug 2017, 00:07

I remember all of them gateman and many more. in later years ken pye was my coach at cutsyke.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 22 Aug 2017, 10:34

lurcher wrote:I remember all of them gateman and many more. in later years ken pye was my coach at cutsyke.
I'm 67 and started watching at 10. I remember Kenny Pye, didn't he come from Westfields in Cutsyke? I also remember us selling Albert Tonkinson to Bradford, who were in dire straits at the time (1959 ish) and the story went around that they never paid us what they owed. At that time us and Bradford bumped along the bottom of the league, we started to improve in the mid sixties.

As I explained to a few Wakey fans last week when they were chanting "Where were you when you were sh*t?", I was behind the sticks at the railway end.

usacas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by usacas » 23 Aug 2017, 00:11

cogito ergo sum wrote:
lurcher wrote:I remember all of them gateman and many more. in later years ken pye was my coach at cutsyke.
I'm 67 and started watching at 10. I remember Kenny Pye, didn't he come from Westfields in Cutsyke? I also remember us selling Albert Tonkinson to Bradford, who were in dire straits at the time (1959 ish) and the story went around that they never paid us what they owed. At that time us and Bradford bumped along the bottom of the league, we started to improve in the mid sixties.

As I explained to a few Wakey fans last week when they were chanting "Where were you when you were sh*t?", I was behind the sticks at the railway end.
My reccollection is that we gave Albert Tonkinson to Bradford for free, along with a number of other clubs who "donated" players. This was after Bradford Northern went bust and folded and in an effort to help them get upon and running again.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 23 Aug 2017, 08:47

usacas wrote:
cogito ergo sum wrote:

My reccollection is that we gave Albert Tonkinson to Bradford for free, along with a number of other clubs who "donated" players. This was after Bradford Northern went bust and folded and in an effort to help them get upon and running again.
You could well be correct. I wasn't sure if there was some kind of buy now pay later arrangement, or if they reneged on a debt or if he was free. Time blurs the edges! If we had had social media in the 60's instead of button A and B we would have known!

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 23 Aug 2017, 08:57

Top trumps, replica shirts.....

Looking around the crowd last week, the replica shirts on view were from a range of years. Who or what was the earliest example and when did they start?
My mother was an avid knitter, and I claim the first replica cardigan! It was around '62 when we wore the black kit with the yellow and white horizontal stripe. My mother made two identical cardigans, one for me and one for my pal John Davison (fruit and veg), which we wore to games looking like twins. Just wish we had a picture,

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 23 Aug 2017, 22:13

I think the first time they became widely available was when hickson became the first shirt sponsor in 1986. I have just one from before that year but its just a very poor copy with no badge.
jo brand is eddie warings love child