Here's to the best team in the league

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Classy B
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Here's to the best team in the league

Post by Classy B » 19 Aug 2017, 22:17

My first season was 69 / 70 , when we beat Wigan at Wembley. In that same season the RFL and Leeds conspired to rob us of the league title. It's took a long time to right that wrong, but we have finally done it and nobody has got near us all season. Now it's time to kick on and put the only other piece of silverware, that we have never won, in the cupboard.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 19 Aug 2017, 23:45

old cas lass wrote:
lurcher wrote:just seemed unreal at the end. I don't know what I was expecting but just looking round at that sea of club colours caused a huge lump in my throat. at 70 years of age I never thought I'd live to see it.
We've waited a long time hey lad.
correct missis and as you probably know there was a time in February I thought I might never see another game but I'm equally sure the unbelievably performances had some thing to do with my recovery. this team give you some thing to live for. ;)
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Aug 2017, 08:47

Glad to hear you're recovering mate

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 20 Aug 2017, 09:52

Classy B wrote:My first season was 69 / 70 , when we beat Wigan at Wembley. In that same season the RFL and Leeds conspired to rob us of the league title. It's took a long time to right that wrong, but we have finally done it and nobody has got near us all season. Now it's time to kick on and put the only other piece of silverware, that we have never won, in the cupboard.
Let's hope we do kick on and get the little knock out trophy as well to add to the prize for being the best team over the season.

I'm a little puzzled though how the RFL and Leeds conspired to rob us of the league title in 1969. I was there (I started watching Cas in 1963) and yes we came mighty close to doing the double but as I recall we simply lost a game in the last few minutes at Odsal. Not sure how the conspiracy theory fits.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 20 Aug 2017, 10:58

Tiger53 wrote:
Classy B wrote:My first season was 69 / 70 , when we beat Wigan at Wembley. In that same season the RFL and Leeds conspired to rob us of the league title. It's took a long time to right that wrong, but we have finally done it and nobody has got near us all season. Now it's time to kick on and put the only other piece of silverware, that we have never won, in the cupboard.
Let's hope we do kick on and get the little knock out trophy as well to add to the prize for being the best team over the season.

I'm a little puzzled though how the RFL and Leeds conspired to rob us of the league title in 1969. I was there (I started watching Cas in 1963) and yes we came mighty close to doing the double but as I recall we simply lost a game in the last few minutes at Odsal. Not sure how the conspiracy theory fits.
I assume it is a reference to the fact we were forced to play the final play off decider within a day or two of the Wembley cup final. Which is disgusting really by the rfl. Don't know if Leeds had anything to do with insisting that the game was played with such a short turnround too.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Aug 2017, 15:41

Think that's right. The reference was to 69/70, but we played Saints not Leeds and our second team gave Saints a hell of a fright in the midweek replay

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 20 Aug 2017, 17:17

Photo on Instagram from Tom Holmes doing the rounds which looks like there is a line of class A in front of a bottle of beer. Anyone seen this?

greenhouse
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by greenhouse » 20 Aug 2017, 17:23

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
Tiger53 wrote:

I assume it is a reference to the fact we were forced to play the final play off decider within a day or two of the Wembley cup final. Which is disgusting really by the rfl. Don't know if Leeds had anything to do with insisting that the game was played with such a short turnround too.

think he may be referring to Leeds scoring from a blatant forward pass. some years after the referee billy Thomson i think was asked if he had any regrets and replied yes costing cas the double after allowing a try that was not a try.i was there but time clouds the memory.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 20 Aug 2017, 17:35

InTheKnow wrote:Photo on Instagram from Tom Holmes doing the rounds which looks like there is a line of class A in front of a bottle of beer. Anyone seen this?

Yes I've seen it.
A lot of people making a who how over it.
Am sure they arnt that daft.
They'd be kicked out of the club.

Could be set up joke from the boys.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 20 Aug 2017, 17:44

Hopefully. It's doing the rounds to some of the bigger followed pages now.... Probably nothing but can't my heart pounding a little.

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 20 Aug 2017, 18:38

old cas lass wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:Photo on Instagram from Tom Holmes doing the rounds which looks like there is a line of class A in front of a bottle of beer. Anyone seen this?

Yes I've seen it.

It's also in the changing rooms at the stadium so I really doubt it when there's multiple people from the club around.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

Classy B
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Classy B » 20 Aug 2017, 19:31

Tiger53 wrote:

You are right. I was referring to us being forced to play saints a day and a half before Wembley. My memory may be dimming, but I was sure, it was Leeds who became champions at our expense. Also throughout the 70's every RFL deceision was dictated by Leeds.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 20 Aug 2017, 19:39

Matt wrote:
old cas lass wrote:

Yes I've seen it.

It's also in the changing rooms at the stadium so I really doubt it when there's multiple people from the club around.
It's scratches in the table

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 20 Aug 2017, 19:48

Classy B wrote:
Tiger53 wrote:

You are right. I was referring to us being forced to play saints a day and a half before Wembley. My memory may be dimming, but I was sure, it was Leeds who became champions at our expense. Also throughout the 70's every RFL deceision was dictated by Leeds.
No, you've got it wrong.

In 1969 we played Leeds in the Championship final the week after Wembley, which was quite normal. Unfortunately, we lost in the dying minutes to a John Atkinson try.

It was in 1970 that we played St Helens the week before Wembley in the Championship semi-final (again quite normal). The game finished in a 9-9 draw. We had to play the replay on the Monday night at Saints. We sent the reserve team and almost pulled off a shock win, only losing in the last 10 minutes. The cup final was then on the Saturday. I think St Helens went on to win the Championship final that year (though not sure without checking).

1970 had nothing to do with Leeds at all.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Aug 2017, 22:08

That's what I said in my post near the top of this page. I'm pretty sure Saints did win the Championship that year because if my memory serves me right the first match of the 70/71season was a 'Charity Shield' match at Wheldon Road vSaints
If I'm right it ended in a draw. 19-19 I think.
I do remember us being 15 points ahead at half time and Saints pulled it back in the second half

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Aug 2017, 22:49

I've just checked it in the new book by Ian Garbett
We played the replay on the Monday before Wembley despite protesting
We played 15 reserves and lost 21-12 but were 10-8 ahead with 10 minutes to go
I got the score for the'Charity Shield' match right but totally wrong about half time. Saints were 14-4 ahead!

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 20 Aug 2017, 22:54

Tamworth Tiger wrote:That's what I said in my post near the top of this page. I'm pretty sure Saints did win the Championship that year because if my memory serves me right the first match of the 70/71season was a 'Charity Shield' match at Wheldon Road vSaints
If I'm right it ended in a draw. 19-19 I think.
I do remember us being 15 points ahead at half time and Saints pulled it back in the second half
The first match of 1970 was a benefit match at H.K.R. on August 7th and we won 37-3, then we played the Challenge match against St. Helens on August 15th and drew 19-19 after trailing 4-14 at half time.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Aug 2017, 23:05

You've read the book too!
I didn't mention the benefit Match as well because I had strayed too far from the main thread!

Classy B
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Classy B » 20 Aug 2017, 23:32

Tiger53 wrote:
Classy B wrote:
Tiger53 wrote:

No, you've got it wrong.

In 1969 we played Leeds in the Championship final the week after Wembley, which was quite normal. Unfortunately, we lost in the dying minutes to a John Atkinson try.

It was in 1970 that we played St Helens the week before Wembley in the Championship semi-final (again quite normal). The game finished in a 9-9 draw. We had to play the replay on the Monday night at Saints. We sent the reserve team and almost pulled off a shock win, only losing in the last 10 minutes. The cup final was then on the Saturday. I think St Helens went on to win the Championship final that year (though not sure without checking).

1970 had nothing to do with Leeds at all.
Just to clear this up. I was refering to us, being forced to play saints just before the 1970 cup final and sending the full A team, who almost won. Obviously time dims the memory, for some reason, I thought Leeds went on to win it that year. However I was only 11 at the time.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 21 Aug 2017, 01:00

Thanks. I've really enjoyed you raising it. My memory was only a bit better (I was 14), but not quite as good as I thought.
That team's achievement starting in the mid60s was probably the greatest of any Cas team over a number of years culminating in us having 5 players in the last GB squad to win the Ashes.
This team is on the verge of emulating or possibly eclipsing the achievements of that one.