2017 Dream Team

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Re: 2017 Dream Team

Post by the machine » 21 Aug 2017, 13:40

Danny Boy wrote:
dettoriman wrote:I think we'll have Zak, Eden, Gale, and McMeeken. Potentially One of Millo, Moors and JSL too.
Not forgetting Benny Roberts!
He won't get in over kelly, Williams or moon
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 21 Aug 2017, 13:42

HuddsTigers wrote:
fast hands wrote: Sadly Hardaker has been fit all season

Hudds don't believe you meant what you wrote , or did you ??
I meant sadly for him. I do think if he'd stayed fit for a larger portion of the season he'd be in with a shout.
You maybe spot on there, someone who plays for the Giants has said, it was the signing that lifted the team, a dressing room dream. He has won the team over, and I think results prove the point.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 21 Aug 2017, 14:46

1.hardaker
2.ben jones bishop
3.percival
4.shenton
5.eden
6.kelly
7.gale
8.cuthbertson
9.mcshane
10.millington
11.jsl
12.murdock messila
13.warmsley

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 22 Aug 2017, 00:23

braytontiger wrote:
Scoopage wrote:Might just be me but no way on earth as Scott taylor had a better season than milo.cuthbertson warmsley and milo been best 3 props this season
If you listen to what hull fans say Scott Taylor hasn't been anything like the same player he was last year and discipline aside watts has been the stand out prop at hull. He wouldn't even come close to the dream team
:lol: are you liam watts's dad that keeps writing to the league express saying the same thing?
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 22 Aug 2017, 08:25

the machine wrote:
Danny Boy wrote:
dettoriman wrote:I think we'll have Zak, Eden, Gale, and McMeeken. Potentially One of Millo, Moors and JSL too.
Not forgetting Benny Roberts!
He won't get in over kelly, Williams or moon
Better all round player than any of those three!
Danny Boy

dannycampbellsshorts

Post by dannycampbellsshorts » 22 Aug 2017, 21:32

Castleford will be represented by the greatest number of players but it is very difficult to be chosen in some positions. Krlly for example has had an outstanding season, moreso than Roberts.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 22 Aug 2017, 23:08

dannycampbellsshorts wrote:Castleford will be represented by the greatest number of players but it is very difficult to be chosen in some positions. Krlly for example has had an outstanding season, moreso than Roberts.
I think they're very different players mate. alby is a maverick who produces some outstanding bits of individual magic whereas benny is more of a creative team player and in my opinion is far superior in defence.

dannycampbellsshorts

Post by dannycampbellsshorts » 23 Aug 2017, 00:25

True. I think Kelly is a game changer and are more dramatic, length of the pitch efforts. Take Roberts out from Cas and I am not sure he is as key to say Gale. At this stage I would not even put George Williams in the same category but NRL coaches would take him before either of the two other players. As far as Hull are concerned it is often a question which is more valuable Smeyd or Kelly. If we did that with Cas then it is a no brainer IMO with Gale every time.

Looking across, I would say Perval at Saints will be selected so that will be one less Cas player. The open position IMO is hooker an much depends on when selections are made but the Leeds 9 might make it albeit it has been a mediocre season for hookers IMO. All selections are down to choice I guess. Lockers IMO is the most complete British player but others will prefer somebody else and look at games played etc

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 23 Aug 2017, 10:35

Lockers is a Tampax. 1 week in 3 weeks out.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 23 Aug 2017, 11:13

dannycampbellsshorts wrote:True. I think Kelly is a game changer and are more dramatic, length of the pitch efforts. Take Roberts out from Cas and I am not sure he is as key to say Gale. At this stage I would not even put George Williams in the same category but NRL coaches would take him before either of the two other players. As far as Hull are concerned it is often a question which is more valuable Smeyd or Kelly. If we did that with Cas then it is a no brainer IMO with Gale every time.

Looking across, I would say Perval at Saints will be selected so that will be one less Cas player. The open position IMO is hooker an much depends on when selections are made but the Leeds 9 might make it albeit it has been a mediocre season for hookers IMO. All selections are down to choice I guess. Lockers IMO is the most complete British player but others will prefer somebody else and look at games played etc
Agree about Gale. He is crucial to Cas but tbf he wasn't at his best last week (and on a few other occasions recently) and it was Roberts who did most damage. Underrated and v important.
Sort of agree about Kelly too. Quality player off the cuff but I would argue not streets ahead of Roberts by any stretch.
As far as O'Loughlin is concerned IMO he is spent now. Not really the talisman he was. In his prime he was a v good player but cannot see how he can be regarded as the most complete GB player right now. No chance. You are right too with rhe view that top flight overall standards have declined. S'OL not in the same class as Farrell, Sculthorpe, Hanley and, even further back, Reilly.

Rogues Gallery

Post by Rogues Gallery » 23 Aug 2017, 11:27

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Lockers is a Tampax. 1 week in 3 weeks out.

Really?
He's played 23 games for Wigan so far this season plus captained England v Samoa in Australia in May.

And of course he'll be leading Wigan out at Wembley this Saturday. He's still the best loose forward in this country and by a long way.

dannycampbellsshorts

Post by dannycampbellsshorts » 23 Aug 2017, 16:00

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
dannycampbellsshorts wrote:True. I think Kelly is a game changer and are more dramatic, length of the pitch efforts. Take Roberts out from Cas and I am not sure he is as key to say Gale. At this stage I would not even put George Williams in the same category but NRL coaches would take him before either of the two other players. As far as Hull are concerned it is often a question which is more valuable Smeyd or Kelly. If we did that with Cas then it is a no brainer IMO with Gale every time.

Agree about Gale. He is crucial to Cas but tbf he wasn't at his best last week (and on a few other occasions recently) and it was Roberts who did most damage. Underrated and v important.
Sort of agree about Kelly too. Quality player off the cuff but I would argue not streets ahead of Roberts by any stretch.
As far as O'Loughlin is concerned IMO he is spent now. Not really the talisman he was. In his prime he was a v good player but cannot see how he can be regarded as the most complete GB player right now. No chance. You are right too with rhe view that top flight overall standards have declined. S'OL not in the same class as Farrell, Sculthorpe, Hanley and, even further back, Reilly.
Incredibly difficult to compare eras but we all do. Ellery IMO is head and shoulders above all the players mentioned IMO, probable any modern GB player. SOL IMO is a complete RL player with fantastic defence and amazing attack. His passing/playmaking IMO is up there with any forward.

The best benchmark is what NRL coaches / players say about SOL and on that basis his accolade places him as the most complete British RL player of his era. Hard to argue with what fellow coaches and players say about SOL. Despite many flirting with the NRL, not many have had the impact others have made. Hanley as a centre and Ward both deservedly earned their standing based on NRL stints. The last to raise his standing was probably Ellis.

dannycampbellsshorts

Post by dannycampbellsshorts » 23 Aug 2017, 16:07

lurcher wrote:
dannycampbellsshorts wrote:Castleford will be represented by the greatest number of players but it is very difficult to be chosen in some positions. Krlly for example has had an outstanding season, moreso than Roberts.
I think they're very different players mate. alby is a maverick who produces some outstanding bits of individual magic whereas benny is more of a creative team player and in my opinion is far superior in defence.
Agree totally re Kelly and defence but he probably reflects present SL. Awards often are given on attack and Kelly is incredibly eye catching despite the fact he would not have many NRL clubs wanting him back. Indeed, I would argue Gale would be far more successful in the NRL than Kelly. Roberts probably had his day in the NRL too.

The ? would be; is Gale the biggest ever mistake made by Leeds? Not a great fan of Leahue Express or their Goldthorpe award but you can see / understand why Gale will win it easily this season.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 23 Aug 2017, 22:28

dannycampbellsshorts wrote:
lurcher wrote:
Agree totally re Kelly and defence but he probably reflects present SL. Awards often are given on attack and Kelly is incredibly eye catching despite the fact he would not have many NRL clubs wanting him back. Indeed, I would argue Gale would be far more successful in the NRL than Kelly. Roberts probably had his day in the NRL too.

The ? would be; is Gale the biggest ever mistake made by Leeds? Not a great fan of Leahue Express or their Goldthorpe award but you can see / understand why Gale will win it easily this season.
we've got mcshane as well. :D

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 23 Aug 2017, 22:33

Rogues Gallery wrote:
Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Lockers is a Tampax. 1 week in 3 weeks out.

Really?
He's played 23 games for Wigan so far this season plus captained England v Samoa in Australia in May.

And of course he'll be leading Wigan out at Wembley this Saturday. He's still the best loose forward in this country and by a long way.
fair do's I must admit he's played more games this year than I expected him to do. I don't know whether wigan are managing him better or if he's been unlucky the previous couple of seasons. I don't know how to compare stats but I'd wager grant Millington is way ahead of lockers in every department. apart from laying on that is. ;)

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 23 Aug 2017, 23:58

lurcher wrote:

Is that cos Wigan don't do too well in it?

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 24 Aug 2017, 09:41

Is that cos Wigan don't do too well in it?[/quote]

:lol:

dannycampbellsshorts

Post by dannycampbellsshorts » 24 Aug 2017, 12:14

TT Tiger wrote:
lurcher wrote:

Oddly I think most awards are subjective and/or flawed. The selection by Scoopage was the most interesting I have read for a long while. Unless Imisread his selections the only I would question is Walmsley at loose forward.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 25 Aug 2017, 08:38

TT Tiger wrote:
lurcher wrote:

Oddly I think most awards are subjective and/or flawed. The selection by Scoopage was the most interesting I have read for a long while. Unless Imisread his selections the only I would question is Walmsley at loose forward.
Only chose walmsley there as most coaches prefer 3 props instead of 2 props and a loose forward nowadays.if I was to be picky I'd swap milo and walmsley.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 25 Aug 2017, 12:22

When's it confirmed
Audacter Et Sincere