Squad for Next Year So Far

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Squad for Next Year So Far

Post by lurcher » 28 Sep 2017, 15:25

gateman wrote:A big worry for me is Oliver Holmes this lad seems to stumble from one injury to the next hardly donning a jersey this season, a fit Oliver I rank as one of the best second row forwards in the competition and a nicer lad you could not wish to meet, I am sure the club is doing all in their power to get Oliver up and running, if you read this Oliver get well SOON
larnes been the same. him and Ollie have barely played 10 games between them.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 09 Nov 2017, 12:48

a lot of our fans are not too happy with the clubs recruitment, some think we will not get in the top four I am more optimistic , obvious ZAK is going to be missed, I had the same thoughts when Rangi went first time, then last year it was the snake, our recruitment so far == forwards Green Clark both lads with something to prove, Wardle our top signing ,Douglas it will be nice to see how he goes after a great season in the championship, Oliver Holmes if he as overcome the injury, that kept him side-lined for most of last season he will be like a new signing , these will take the places of Patrick Maher and my old favourite Andy Lynch who I thought did one season too long, Backs == LO + Jamie Ellis instead of Tom Holmes and Monagan

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Nov 2017, 13:21

gateman wrote:a lot of our fans are not too happy with the clubs recruitment, some think we will not get in the top four I am more optimistic , obvious ZAK is going to be missed, I had the same thoughts when Rangi went first time, then last year it was the snake, our recruitment so far == forwards Green Clark both lads with something to prove, Wardle our top signing ,Douglas it will be nice to see how he goes after a great season in the championship, Oliver Holmes if he as overcome the injury, that kept him side-lined for most of last season he will be like a new signing , these will take the places of Patrick Maher and my old favourite Andy Lynch who I thought did one season too long, Backs == LO + Jamie Ellis instead of Tom Holmes and Monagan

Guess when you put it that way its not so bad.

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 09 Nov 2017, 14:36

Gary lo for me would be 1 of the starting wingers over minikin.offers more size in defence and stronger more powerfull runs coming out of our own half.him and webbo would be like old days when carney was here and people had nightmares of them running at them

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 10 Nov 2017, 00:11

Gary Lo plays on the left for PNG. Wouldn't be surprised if Eden hits full back spot hard this pre season. We see him at FB next year, Minikin on right and Lo on left.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Nov 2017, 09:02

Me too
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 10 Nov 2017, 11:31

HB and wing appear to be well covered and centres arent too bad. These positions were all strong last season and are a bit stronger for next.

Problem for me is the pack. To improve and and challenge for the trophies we needed a couple of go forward props which just now I dont see we have.

Jesse and Junior are awesone in the back row and need to be used at their most effective. McShane and Milner are shoe ins so we need to sort the props. The players we have brought in are only back up and untried at best, this could bite us on the arse if we have injuries.

Other teams are very aware of our threats now and we struggle up front as per Hull cup game etc. Can we be as strong as last season? We shall see.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 10 Nov 2017, 12:27

I think we will se Jesse at prop more this year with oggy McMeeken and Wardle in the back row more. Jesse is very effective in the muffle and will cause defences to bunch in the middle and allow our wide men to do the damage we know they can. Whoever fills in at full back will have a full preseason to get their eye in rather than 1 training session like before the GF so I’m confident we can make that work like last year.

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 10 Nov 2017, 14:44

Been told today that we have signed James Clare from under the noses of York. If true, terrible pointless signing for us, great news for Halifax though.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 10 Nov 2017, 14:53

Jonny1975 wrote:Been told today that we have signed James Clare from under the noses of York. If true, terrible pointless signing for us, great news for Halifax though.
Can't see this being right, what would be the point? The only possible remote reason I could think of to do something like this would be to take Jy's squad place to move him out and free a quota spot up, maybe for an overseas prop/fullback. I can't see us thinking like that

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 10 Nov 2017, 14:55

if this is true then the recruitment really has gone to sh.t.

Towns88
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Towns88 » 10 Nov 2017, 15:07

Clare tweeted about playing squash with Junior Moors. He was a good servant for Cas and a natural try scorer with plenty of pace. Would rather have Clare on the wing for us then the Greg Minikin from July onwards. Not sure why he gets such a bad rep from Cas fans.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 10 Nov 2017, 15:16

Towns88 wrote:Clare tweeted about playing squash with Junior Moors. He was a good servant for Cas and a natural try scorer with plenty of pace. Would rather have Clare on the wing for us then the Greg Minikin from July onwards. Not sure why he gets such a bad rep from Cas fans.

Likewise
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 10 Nov 2017, 15:26

Decent squad player wouldn’t cost the Earth. I really like jy as a player he offfers something different to most imo but I do think we If sticks comes in I’d like to see jy move on to free up a quota spot for us to bring in as said a fullback or prop.
One thing with sticks he will give his all he did well at back end of last year

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 10 Nov 2017, 15:30

Towns88 wrote:Clare tweeted about playing squash with Junior Moors. He was a good servant for Cas and a natural try scorer with plenty of pace. Would rather have Clare on the wing for us then the Greg Minikin from July onwards. Not sure why he gets such a bad rep from Cas fans.
but what about the minikin from before july?if eden and lo and minikin and egodo and hitchcox(if he isn't going) and the young lad who's name escapes me aren't enough wing options then I don't know what is.Maybe he's coming to play fullback?whatever he was deemed not good enough back then and nothing he has done suggests that he has improved.another winger is not needed.

Towns88
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Towns88 » 10 Nov 2017, 15:48

Then the minikin before July withe clare will create genuine competition for places. Also Clare can play full back. Wouldn't need to distrupt Eden / Roberts if we used JC as an option. Personally would release Jy, from a quota perspective.

Leeds tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Leeds tiger » 10 Nov 2017, 16:15

Swapping hardaker for Clare really would be a gutting blow, I liked Clare when we had him, but he isn't really that good. I know it will be near impossible to get anyone at hardaker a level but an actual fullback would be good, not a winger who can play there

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 10 Nov 2017, 17:29

For me the only player who genuinely can play the full back role we need in our current squad is Benny can find a pass catch a kick and put on a shot when needed Eden is too potent on the wing for me. I don’t think we lose a great deal from having Ellis in the halves and Benny move to the back as Benny can then play all over and play what he sees in front of him his most dangerous part is running and hopefully he can find gaps and be a real nightmare for other teams.

caslad69
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by caslad69 » 10 Nov 2017, 18:14

I don’t want to sound like a broken record but what the hell is happening at our club if it’s true that Clare has resigned for cas, what message does that send to the promising youngsters at our club. When are they going to be given a shot. Who are people trying to kid when they say Clare playing full back he was played there before and didn’t do a very good job. If people think we are going to be pushing for silverware again they are diluded, No signing that we have made this year apart from wardle fills me with confidence. Feel like the club are nowhere as ambitious as the supported are

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 10 Nov 2017, 19:19

caslad69 wrote:I don’t want to sound like a broken record but what the hell is happening at our club if it’s true that Clare has resigned for cas, what message does that send to the promising youngsters at our club. When are they going to be given a shot. Who are people trying to kid when they say Clare playing full back he was played there before and didn’t do a very good job. If people think we are going to be pushing for silverware again they are diluded, No signing that we have made this year apart from wardle fills me with confidence. Feel like the club are nowhere as ambitious as the supported are

Great bed time story this, sent me straight to sleep. Oh and it's Deluded.