Absolute garbage

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Absolute garbage

Post by lurcher » 08 Oct 2017, 22:58

Mysterio wrote:How many times did McGuire touch the ref !!
exactly, it was a real love in. I wonder how the rhino's fans will feel next season when he plays against them for the first time.
they'll see just what it feels like when he's whining to the ref about every decision.
the one that got to me most on saturday was when he went up to child and touched him before saying good decision.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Askham Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Askham Tiger » 09 Oct 2017, 08:31

First of all, I'm as proud as anyone that we got to the final and have provided a memorable season. I'm thankful we have DP and Steve Gill. I was there when we lost to Barrow, there when Bobbie Goulding taunted us as Rochdale beat us, there when we took 37 fans to Widnes on a Thursday night, I stayed till the final hooter on Saturday. I'm not a bigger fan or lesser fan than others. I'm pleased little old Cas can compete with the big boys. But I want so much more from this club. So this is not a knee-jerk post.

When the dust has settled and we've all had time to reflect, I strongly advise the club review all aspects of how they approach finals - pay an outside firm to review our approach if need be.

I read an interview during the week, can't remember if it was Gary Hetherington or Brian Mac, but they talked about having a set plan so when a final comes around they roll out their 'final plan' where absolutely everything is set in place - transport, hotel, buildup. It shows.

In contrast, there were so many similarities for Cas between the Grand Final and Wembley (on and off the pitch) it's uncanny.

2014 Challenge Cup Final vs 2017 Grand Final

Merch
2014 - Very little CC final merchandise on sale. Fans buy elsewhere, Steve Gill puts out a statement advising fans to buy from the club. Exact same thing happens and same statement put out for the 2017 grand final. I fully understand the club are possibly under contract to only sell X-Blades merch, but they need a clause putting in any future contract whereby things specific to a one off final (scarves) can be supplied by another company. I reckon 1 in 10 Cas fans were wearing those Classy Cas Grand Final scarves which were on sale outside the ground and on eBay. That's 2,000 X £7 (avg price) going to outside people. I'd have been happy to pay more to buy the same scarf from the club.

Buildup
2014 - All talk was on whether Huby would play. 2017 - all talk on Zak and whether he would play. I know you cannot account for the Hardaker situation, but it needed a much better statement putting out which included stating Zak would definitely not be playing in the match.

Matchday
2014 and players are seen sitting around Costa in Wembley on the day of the game. 2017, I saw the coach pull up outside the ground about 80-90 mins before kick off. The Leeds team were in much earlier. I also saw a photo on facebook of the Cas coach driving through Drighlington, nr Leeds/Bradford around 2pm (not sure if this was true?) - if so, you cannot tell me the players only travelled over on the day of the game for the biggest match in our history? They need to be in that ground hours before, and get used to the buildup and rising atmosphere.

Psychology
Our players looked scared. Reports of one Cas player being visibly sick on the touchline before the match through nerves. I know it's the biggest match most have played, but same as 2014, we froze. Body language was very negative - McMeekan trudging off at half time, shoulders slumped...what on earth is that about? We were just 7 points down. Zero leadership. The club might want to look at bringing in someone who can mentally prepare players should we get to a final again. Nerves are to be expected, but you have to find something within yourself to push through. I've been just as nervous when I've been up onstage with a band playing to 3,000 people, it's not easy but you metally prepare. When I was up there, I was nervous yet confident because I knew my job, I knew what to do, I didn't drop drumsticks and mess up every song and walk off with my head down. If I did mess up the intro to a song, I got on with it, after a couple of songs it was like I was playing in a pub to a few mates. The players spent all match looking like they'd not seen a rugby ball before.

Sorry if I've gone on, I just feel that was a golden chance. A few months ago I bookmarked a Leeds fans post on a forum, he said Castleford will never win a major final as they are happy just to get there. I don't want that to be correct.

We can moan all we like about being true champions but at some point, we have to move on as a club and start a process which puts us in a better place next time we reach a final. Because next time, I want to come on here saying how happy I am we won, not how happy I am that we got there.
Last edited by Askham Tiger on 09 Oct 2017, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Oct 2017, 08:44

old cas lass wrote:
Casmoley wrote:Oh and anyone going down the Eden route need to look at our so called impact players. Millo but especially Junior were appauling. Mckmeeken didn't look interested either.

Mcmeeken was walking about with his hands on his hips most of the game.
I said the same, how many of them didn't look interested, too many to count

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Oct 2017, 08:52

Tamworth Tiger wrote:
Bramley Tiger wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
old cas lass wrote:Anyone see the obstruction for the disallowed try.
Can't for the life of me see an obstruction.
Very harsh not to give what looked like a perfectly good try.
Agree OCL. Gale does go behind Holmes but OH doesn't touch anyone in the Leeds defensive line. Big (wrong) call for me, 6-6 at half time would've seen us go onto win the game!!!
doubt very much we would have gone on to win the game.
The way Leeds were playing , if we had got over the line before half time I'm absolutely certain we would have done
It wouldn't have taken much to beat them as they very avg at best.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Oct 2017, 09:07

stuey wrote:Leeds were very poor, but we were even worse. The scored 3 tries from our mistakes in not dealing with kicks, and 1try from a forward pass. They created nowt themselves. Yet we were still out thought, out kicked, out played in every position. None of our players would get more than 2 out of 10. We did not have a decent performance from anyone. The Zak disruption was a major blow. not only missing Zak, but moving Eden to full back and the way if affected the other players in the team. They were down big time, which is not surprising when the players "player of the year" is pulled out of the match 2 days beforehand. Cas have only themselves to blame. What is wrong with waiting until tomorrow, then making the announcement, banning him, fining him or whatever. Stupid, stupid timing - they got the performance that the announcement 2 days before the match deserved. Could they really have expected anything else. The players were annoyed and showed it in the performance. We have blown our best ever opportunity to win the GF. Never again, if we ever get there, will we play a side who played as badly as Leeds did.
Spot on agree with everything

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 09 Oct 2017, 09:22

Agree regarding the game but the decision about Zak was taken out of the club's hands . They stood him down because that's what the rfl said .