On reflection...

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

On reflection...

Post by SuffolkTiger » 08 Oct 2017, 21:59

Just plucked up courage to watch a re-run of the SKY coverage of the game.

Thought our performance looked better on the telly close up than it did from the stands.

For me, 5 things lost us the game yesterday:

- The influence of ZH at the back in both defence and attack
- A crazy amount of handling errors
- Dreadful kicking out of hand
- Not playing the wet conditions
- Inexperience of such a high profile event

If we had scored first I think it would have been a totally different game - or even if we had gone in level at the break.

I'm proud that we got to OT and that so many of us turned out. I'm much happier than I was this time yesterday.

We've progressed and become a great good news story for the town and the sport. I'm grateful for that.

Let's see what the off field developments look like in the close season and get behind the club in 2018.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: On reflection...

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 08 Oct 2017, 22:19

Thanks for that and it sums up what I thought on the day. I think the biggest leveller was the conditions which played into the experience of McGuire
I still think we could have won it if we could have scored with 20 to go, but the ball dropping seemed to be more infectious the harder we tried
It was a great season with a hugely disappointing final 80 minutes and it's just possible that those 80 minutes could be the most character building of the whole season and stand us in great stead going forward

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 08 Oct 2017, 22:26

I said the same to the Mrs. If Webster could have slid an extra yard and scored early on.... I think we would have gone on to give them a really good game or even win. A matter of half a yard or less.

corvusxiii
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by corvusxiii » 08 Oct 2017, 22:40

We lost a match. ......a biggun tbf but let's not be rubbish. We are the best team 2017. I'll argue with God over this.
To finish last in the Tour de France, first you must finish.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Oct 2017, 07:06

SuffolkTiger wrote:Just plucked up courage to watch a re-run of the SKY coverage of the game.

Thought our performance looked better on the telly close up than it did from the stands.

If we had scored first I think it would have been a totally different game - or even if we had gone in level at the break.

I'm proud that we got to OT and that so many of us turned out. I'm much happier than I was this time yesterday.

We've progressed and become a great good news story for the town and the sport. I'm grateful for that.

Let's see what the off field developments look like in the close season and get behind the club in 2018.
Cas were sh*t and didn't turn up
Leeds were Avg but played the occasion & conditions better

Got to say for first 15 we were the better side.

"If we had scored first I think it would have been a totally different game" got to agree with you there.

What i will say is 2 tries directly came from us dropping the ball.
Leeds 2nd try Parcell was offside and within the 10 chasing the kick (we had one maybe Catalan away cant remember now chalked off and the man within 10 never even attempted to go for the ball)

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Oct 2017, 07:19

On reflection ..losing zak and the wretched build up to the game big factor ..not sure how fully fit gale shenton or roberts were ..leeds are not a good side but maguire ran the show and there forwards got well on top of ours ..once again in a big game we dont turn up powell as said himself it was our worst performance of the season
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 09 Oct 2017, 08:05

Not watched it back yet, but my thoughts were;

Needed to play a cup final game in poor weather means a must to take the two when it comes up... jeez we beat saints by losing 5-3 in try's scored.
Got to keep hold of the ball, be patient and not look to offload at all times.
Will contradict with the next point... Eden needed to offload and release Minikin on the free play and we could've scored.
With so little ball we made it through Leeds' line and had the potential to score, if we had respected possession and conserved energy by defending less we could've kept the score closer and been in the game.

I will watch it back and may see things differently but they were my thoughts throughout the game.

Long live the Tigers!!!

Kentcas

Post by Kentcas » 09 Oct 2017, 08:07

Having watched it back there were some fine margins which on another day might have gone differently .burgess first try from the kick shenton seems to have hold of burgess and jy rips shentons hand away from him, maguire knocking the ball out of edens grasp , why didn't Eden give the ball to minikin when he broke from the leeds knock on and gale should have took the 2 early on settled some nerves . But I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing !

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 09 Oct 2017, 08:11

What I noticed watching it back is how many of the knock ons were 'helped' out by a defender. Although there were still a number that were dropped before they even got near a defender and that's just indefensible.

speedy
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: @casrlfc

Post by speedy » 09 Oct 2017, 08:19

three kickable penalties would have had us at 6 a piece early on

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Oct 2017, 08:26

speedy wrote:three kickable penalties would have had us at 6 a piece early on
Sometimes you have to take the points on offer in big games and those conditions. We didn't.

Got the impression early on we thought we would score easy and that's why we tapped it. They should have realised and the next 2 took 2

4 - 7 at HT would have been anybodys game

andymc133
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by andymc133 » 09 Oct 2017, 08:26

The happiest team after the grand final will have been HULL KR!!!!!

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 09 Oct 2017, 08:29

fords wrote:
Sometimes you have to take the points on offer in big games and those conditions. We didn't.

Got the impression early on we thought we would score easy and that's why we tapped it. They should have realised and the next 2 took 2

Ifs buts and maybes...how about the fact 2 of those 3 penalties resulted in almost trys? McGuire forcing the ball out just before Eden dives over and an iffy obstruction call.

12-6 HT to Cas because Leeds don't go for the DG down by 6.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Oct 2017, 08:32

TheSheriff wrote:
fords wrote:

Ifs buts and maybes...how about the fact 2 of those 3 penalties resulted in almost trys? McGuire forcing the ball out just before Eden dives over and an iffy obstruction call.

12-6 HT to Cas because Leeds don't go for the DG down by 6.
Very true. Fine margins are what games are won and lost by as they say.

Same as Leeds 2nd try. Parcell was offside and within the 10 but it was allowed. We had one a few weeks back that got chalked off for exactly the same

WF10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WF10 » 09 Oct 2017, 08:58

fords wrote:
SuffolkTiger wrote:Just plucked up courage to watch a re-run of the SKY coverage of the game.

"If we had scored first I think it would have been a totally different game" got to agree with you there.

Leeds 2nd try Parcell was offside and within the 10 chasing the kick (we had one maybe Catalan away cant remember now chalked off and the man within 10 never even attempted to go for the ball)
At Headingley? Foster?
removed post it again and you will join them on a 48 hour ban read the AUP

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 09 Oct 2017, 09:29

It was foster, at home v saints in super 8s I think

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 09 Oct 2017, 09:48

WF10 wrote:
fords wrote:

At Headingley? Foster?
Yes that was it, thank you