Full Back 2018

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Full Back 2018

Post by Tiger53 » 10 Oct 2017, 22:12

KB80 wrote:
classysupercas wrote:we have not got a real fullback at the club now, so we need to buy one. simple
In reality we aren't going to get a full back of Hardaker's class, but we need better options then we have and should leave some money in salary to strengthen elsewhere.

Likely options will be:
- Decent young players currently playing second fiddle in SL.
- Established player from a club in lower echelons of SL.
- Options from Australia.

Don't know enough about Australian players to comment but realistic options from SL I'd guess potential options would be:

Tierney (better wingers and full backs at Wigan IMO)
Golding (loan - behind Walker now)
Evalds (behind O'Brien)
O Brien (Salford offloading players, Cas could be tempted by style of play, squad and coaching staff)
Jowitt (probably unlikely but behind Grix, with BJB a potential cover at full back)
Russell (option to return to full back? Coaching staff.)
Hanbury (Cas tempting stronger squad, style of play and coaching staff)

If i was the agent of any of the above id be trying to get my player a shot at Cas under Powell for the resons in brackets.
Problem is most are on contract and I doubt we can fund further transfer fees.

From the list Evalds, Jowitt, O Brien or Russel would be decent options with the remaining salary going towards a big no nonsense prop.
Don't disagree with your list, out of which I think my first choice might be Evalds. However, I think 3 of the 4 on your list of options ( excluding Russell ) would probably incur a fee which I'm not sure we would be prepared to pay. The one you've missed out is Ryan Hampshire who will be looking for a club, no fee and as good an option as one or two on your list.

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 10 Oct 2017, 22:27

Tiger53 wrote:
KB80 wrote:
classysupercas wrote:we have not got a real fullback at the club now, so we need to buy one. simple
In reality we aren't going to get a full back of Hardaker's class, but we need better options then we have and should leave some money in salary to strengthen elsewhere.

Likely options will be:
- Decent young players currently playing second fiddle in SL.
- Established player from a club in lower echelons of SL.
- Options from Australia.

Don't know enough about Australian players to comment but realistic options from SL I'd guess potential options would be:

Tierney (better wingers and full backs at Wigan IMO)
Golding (loan - behind Walker now)
Evalds (behind O'Brien)
O Brien (Salford offloading players, Cas could be tempted by style of play, squad and coaching staff)
Jowitt (probably unlikely but behind Grix, with BJB a potential cover at full back)
Russell (option to return to full back? Coaching staff.)
Hanbury (Cas tempting stronger squad, style of play and coaching staff)

If i was the agent of any of the above id be trying to get my player a shot at Cas under Powell for the resons in brackets.
Problem is most are on contract and I doubt we can fund further transfer fees.

From the list Evalds, Jowitt, O Brien or Russel would be decent options with the remaining salary going towards a big no nonsense prop.
Don't disagree with your list, out of which I think my first choice might be Evalds. However, I think 3 of the 4 on your list of options ( excluding Russell ) would probably incur a fee which I'm not sure we would be prepared to pay. The one you've missed out is Ryan Hampshire who will be looking for a club, no fee and as good an option as one or two on your list.
Fee is definitely the stumbling block. But I suppose if the player wanted the move it might minimise the fee. Like I say if I was the agent of any of those players Cas's predicament and success in developing pivots wouldn't be lost on me.

Not sure with Hampshire, when he was here Powell didnt play him tgat much at full back even when Dorn was injured, I'd be surprised if Hampshire had done enough last season to change Powell's view.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 11 Oct 2017, 00:30

Few more names to throw out:

Shannon McDonnell
Adam Quinlan (HKR may want to free up quota spot)
Ethan Ryan (signed new deal at Bradford but could probably get him out with being SL)
Kieran Moss (HKR May want to free up quota spot)
James Clare (can play full back)

Tyrone Phillips (Bulldogs, off contract)
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 11 Oct 2017, 00:51

HuddsTigers wrote:Few more names to throw out:

Shannon McDonnell
Adam Quinlan (HKR may want to free up quota spot)
Ethan Ryan (signed new deal at Bradford but could probably get him out with being SL)
Kieran Moss (HKR May want to free up quota spot)
James Clare (can play full back)

Tyrone Phillips (Bulldogs, off contract)
What's Mcdonell done for the last year? (Can't find any record of him playing)
Not a fan of Quintana tbh.
Hope we'don't be looking for more experience than Ryan, Moss or Claire.

Philips maybe, don't know much about him.

remotetiger

Post by remotetiger » 11 Oct 2017, 03:24

How much did Mamo cost Huddersfield, and what would it cost to land him. If we are looking to replace Zak with someone as close as possible to Zak's quality he is the only fullback I can think of. Again money talks, and we just don't know how much is left in the piggy bank. I am sure he would fit with Castleofords style of play, and no disrespect to Huddersfield but I think he has a better chance of growing and winning under Daryl.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Oct 2017, 07:35

The clubs not man utd weve just spent 150 k on a guy that wont play for two years and were now going to huddersfield buy another top full back ..no chance
we either get somone cheap get someone on loan or play eden at full back which id put my money on is what will happen
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Oct 2017, 08:06

If trueman continues to progress in the build up to the new season it may reach a point where its hard to leave him out roberts to full back another possible option if that hapens
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 11 Oct 2017, 08:09

News emerging that Salford are in bother and could face liquidation. Assuming that's true we've got to be looking at Evalds and O Brien.

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 11 Oct 2017, 10:00

remotetiger wrote:How much did Mamo cost Huddersfield, and what would it cost to land him. If we are looking to replace Zak with someone as close as possible to Zak's quality he is the only fullback I can think of. Again money talks, and we just don't know how much is left in the piggy bank. I am sure he would fit with Castleofords style of play, and no disrespect to Huddersfield but I think he has a better chance of growing and winning under Daryl.
I think it involved a swap deal with Wardle .
So whatever weve just paid for Joe I would I would imagine Huddersfield would want a similar figure , probably more.

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 11 Oct 2017, 10:25

KB80 wrote:News emerging that Salford are in bother and could face liquidation. Assuming that's true we've got to be looking at Evalds and O Brien.
News emerging where?

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 11 Oct 2017, 10:32

Article in 40-20 magazine. States planned transfer to community trust had been refused due to £8 million pound debt.

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 11 Oct 2017, 10:33

KB80 wrote:Article in 40-20 magazine. States planned transfer to community trust had been refused due to £8 million pound debt.
Interesting.

therailwayendisnigh
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by therailwayendisnigh » 11 Oct 2017, 10:59

The good doctor has ballsed them up, this was always going to happen.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 11 Oct 2017, 11:41

MK leaving has basically signed the clubs death warrant (agree with railwayend, was always gonna happen). Any players there will welcome any offers made from other clubs I would imagine. Evalds or O'Brien and Kopczak gotta be worth looking at? I know Kopczak signed a new deal earlier this season, but maybe that won't count for much with their current state? Players need job security the same as the rest off us, so if a solid club comes in for them they'd be daft not to seriously consider it.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 11 Oct 2017, 16:20

derbystiger wrote:MK leaving has basically signed the clubs death warrant (agree with railwayend, was always gonna happen). Any players there will welcome any offers made from other clubs I would imagine. Evalds or O'Brien and Kopczak gotta be worth looking at? I know Kopczak signed a new deal earlier this season, but maybe that won't count for much with their current state? Players need job security the same as the rest off us, so if a solid club comes in for them they'd be daft not to seriously consider it.
good shout kopczak and I'd have o' brien at full back.
we may wait to see the length of ban, if its only 15 months its virtually just next season and we shouldn't spend a lot if it leaves the player surplus to requirements when/if zac comes back.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 11 Oct 2017, 16:29

Evalds or O'Brien I woukd take at FB. Kopczak too. As for the rest mentioned would steer well clear.
Hope we don't shuffle existing players and sign a FB from Aus if necessary.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 11 Oct 2017, 16:48

what if we've signed Robert lui and benny is going to full back.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 11 Oct 2017, 17:56

lurcher wrote:what if we've signed Robert lui and benny is going to full back.
Personally I'd much prefer an established full back.

Roberts blows hot and cold. Superb on his day, but extremely error prone when it's not his day. Last thing we need is an error prone full back IMO. Neither Eden or Roberts are reliable enough and both are much more effective in their established roles.

peter parker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by peter parker » 11 Oct 2017, 18:21

I heard Evalds has signed for hudds.

tigerforever
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tigerforever » 11 Oct 2017, 18:27

KB80 wrote:
lurcher wrote:what if we've signed Robert lui and benny is going to full back.
Personally I'd much prefer an established full back.

Roberts blows hot and cold. Superb on his day, but extremely error prone when it's not his day. Last thing we need is an error prone full back IMO. Neither Eden or Roberts are reliable enough and both are much more effective in their established roles.
Completely agree - this is not a position where you can just make do.