Jamie Ellis

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Jamie Ellis

Post by Flat Capper » 23 Oct 2017, 12:44

cogito ergo sum wrote:Good signing.
Roberts and Gale two top earners, so DP wouldn't be looking for another half back high earner. Ellis fits the bill perfectly, because when he plays in the halves there will be no significant weakness.
But the quotes from LE seem to indicate he's after the #7 shirt on a regular basis and not as a 'fill in'.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 23 Oct 2017, 12:50

Don’t forget Gale is in oz so will not have the rest period that the rest of the team have so this will give him the chance of longer recovery at the start of the season

viva brad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by viva brad » 23 Oct 2017, 12:51

But the quotes from LE seem to indicate he's after the #7 shirt on a regular basis and not as a 'fill in'
in the words of Brian Potter "aye and i wanna moon walk son " :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 23 Oct 2017, 12:57

From a number of posts on the forum as a whole I get the impression the 'small town club' attitude is still the basis on which some fans think we should operate.

Yes, we've just had the most successful 'league' campaign in our history but this should merely be the basis on which we build our future. There are clear areas in which we fall short of perfection and these need to be addressed.

Should we be in the likely position of having to replace ZH we should be striving for the best we can get and not accepting the fact he is impossible to replace. If this requires additional funding then so be it and that may just mean we don't 'waste' money on the likes of Ellis to play second fiddle in a position we already have adequate strength in depth.

We most definitely need some recognized muscle down the middle and again we need to use what resources we have to ensure we achieve this. A few quid on a second rate prop doesn't do the job.

Most importantly of all, we should never be in the position of saying "in DP we trust". He's the best thing to happen to this club in many a year but he remains human and the fact we've released the likes of Larroyer shows he can't always polish the [REMOVED].

We have to improve on last year and for me this requires key investments that will take us to the next level - champions!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Oct 2017, 13:09

I'd say look at recruitment across SL in general and you'll see what's happening to the game in this country.

You can't sign top class players any more and the money isn't there. In fact, the only decent signings are coming from clubs who finished way off the pace of us last season on overseas players. Overseas players who require a lot of money to resettle, and a lot of money for them NOT to settle in this country and go back after a year. They are a huge risk.

Then look at who other clubs have signed:

Huddersfield - Colton Roche
Salford: Derrell Olpherts and Gavin Bennion
St Helens: James Bentley

In fact, of the 27 Super League signings made by clubs so far for next season, 9 of them are from the NRL/overseas (including France). And how many of those NRL players would the average RL fan know before they were signed? They're hardly big name players.

There isn't a market any more for recruitment. A lot of players are signing and staying put for convenience. Gone are the days when there used to be turnover of 7/8 players at each club each year.

Moreover, 70 players have either moved club/retired/moved back to the NRL/been banned at the end of this season. Clubs are having to look in the Championship and promote from within. Exchange rates and other stuff also impact on the game.

I agree we need a prop but I actually think in terms of his experience Ellis is a decent signing. We also don't know what the club's situation is financially, cap-wise, we don't know what Powell has said to SG or what the ability to add mid-season will be (which we like to do). We have a very good squad already.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 23 Oct 2017, 14:10

HuddsTigers wrote:I'd say look at recruitment across SL in general and you'll see what's happening to the game in this country.

You can't sign top class players any more and the money isn't there. In fact, the only decent signings are coming from clubs who finished way off the pace of us last season on overseas players. Overseas players who require a lot of money to resettle, and a lot of money for them NOT to settle in this country and go back after a year. They are a huge risk.

Then look at who other clubs have signed:

Huddersfield - Colton Roche
Salford: Derrell Olpherts and Gavin Bennion
St Helens: James Bentley

In fact, of the 27 Super League signings made by clubs so far for next season, 9 of them are from the NRL/overseas (including France). And how many of those NRL players would the average RL fan know before they were signed? They're hardly big name players.

There isn't a market any more for recruitment. A lot of players are signing and staying put for convenience. Gone are the days when there used to be turnover of 7/8 players at each club each year.

Moreover, 70 players have either moved club/retired/moved back to the NRL/been banned at the end of this season. Clubs are having to look in the Championship and promote from within. Exchange rates and other stuff also impact on the game.

I agree we need a prop but I actually think in terms of his experience Ellis is a decent signing. We also don't know what the club's situation is financially, cap-wise, we don't know what Powell has said to SG or what the ability to add mid-season will be (which we like to do). We have a very good squad already.
Haven't we shafted ourselves with quota space anyway?
I get what you say and the situation is different to years gone by. But we are not promoting youth like some other clubs are and barring Hardaker we all knew what was needed recruitment wise months back.
Wardle is a class signing I think. Ellis as a squad player is a huge upgrade from Holmes. However, we struggled in the forwards as key times last year and in games where it really mattered. Losing out on the keague title and CC in 2014 and collapsing towards the backend last year were worries. We didn't seem to have the bite and power and work out how to peak at the right time. I think lacking props was a huge factor in both those campaigns. FB is obviously also pivotal to us especially and that will be hard to plug from what is available. So unless we recruit a couple of decent front rowers I will feel disappointed.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 23 Oct 2017, 14:26

I’ve asked the question before to no answer. Isn’t millington off the quota now as he has been the same club six years?

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 23 Oct 2017, 14:31

We can't have finished our recruitment yet, so I'll reserve judgment, but I agree, we need good forwards. Another aspect about running a successful club however, is living within our means. Last season our forwards were successful, or we wouldn't have done as well as we did, but a big aggressive prop is a highly desirable.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 23 Oct 2017, 14:45

TT Tiger wrote:I’ve asked the question before to no answer. Isn’t millington off the quota now as he has been the same club six years?
No idea. If not we cannot recruit from abroad. What about Webster?

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 23 Oct 2017, 15:37

viva brad wrote:
But the quotes from LE seem to indicate he's after the #7 shirt on a regular basis and not as a 'fill in'
in the words of Brian Potter "aye and i wanna moon walk son " :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
And that was my point, why sign him to sit in the reserves - put the cost towards filling a position we desperately need filling.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 23 Oct 2017, 15:52

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
TT Tiger wrote:I’ve asked the question before to no answer. Isn’t millington off the quota now as he has been the same club six years?
Webster doesn't count on quota because he was here before the quota rules started
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 23 Oct 2017, 15:53

Even if Millington comes of quota he will still be non-federation trained and we are only allowed a total of 7 non-fed players which means we are probably full. If one doesn't count it is most likely to be Webster because I'm sure I've ready that players already playing in the country before the non-fed rule came in are exempt. The rule came in in 2008 and Webster was playing at Hull KR from 2007.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 23 Oct 2017, 16:04

Webster definitely doesn’t counts but they are other exemptions.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 23 Oct 2017, 16:09

TT Tiger wrote:Webster definitely doesn’t counts but they are other exemptions.
Out non-fed trained quota of seven is filled by Millington, Roberts, Moors, JSL, Lo, Clark and Hitchcox.
Webster is exempt as he was playing in SL before the non-fed rules can into force.

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 23 Oct 2017, 16:20

I am not sure its quite as simple as everyone makes out - I know Koucash raised the same objections at Catalans earlier in the year when they had 9 overseas players - the RFL advised they were operating within side the rules - I don't confess to know how though but there does seem to be exemptions

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 23 Oct 2017, 17:13

So Moors Roberts Jesse Clark Lo Millington is 6 if Webster doesn't count.

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 23 Oct 2017, 17:15

So Moors Roberts Jesse Clark Lo Millington is 6 if Webster doesn't count.
Hitchcox

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Oct 2017, 17:53

St Albans tiger wrote:I am not sure its quite as simple as everyone makes out - I know Koucash raised the same objections at Catalans earlier in the year when they had 9 overseas players - the RFL advised they were operating within side the rules - I don't confess to know how though but there does seem to be exemptions
A lot of their overseas players were dual nationals I believe so could play for France/counted as European.

It's bizarre that Clark is eligible to play for England and is English but counts as non-fed. Surely something we could purseu there?

Also, people are assuming that everyone currently at the club is fixed. I'd say that if we needed to make room, we could always send someone out on a season-long loan (e.g. Garry Lo).
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 23 Oct 2017, 18:06

Is lo kolpak so not counted on either quota?

PSTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by PSTiger » 23 Oct 2017, 18:16

Having 2 back up wingers on the quota seems silly now