Another youngster gone.

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Shareholder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Another youngster gone.

Post by Shareholder » 09 Dec 2017, 15:38

Or you could say cas had Gill, Eden, Shenton,Holmes,Lynch, Milner, O Holmes, Massey, and Maher who all figured in the 2017 fixtures, he also gave debuts to Kieran Gill and Jake Trueman , in 2016 he gave debuts to T Holmes , C fitzinmons and B Douglas. Oh and not forgetting in 2017 two cas academy players featured for the wire, D Clark and J Westerman.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 09 Dec 2017, 16:02

At the end of the day we are a business aswell as a club. If the reported figure of 45 grand is correct we would have been crackers to turn it down. With the lack of quality English halves coming through the ranks currently, money and time invested in young Jake is far better spent than on a backrower. Especially when opportunities for first team rugby in our back row are pretty limited for at least the next 2 years. Good bit of business if you ask me, and I wish Luis all the best and hope it works out great for him.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 09 Dec 2017, 16:03

Are you really judging Powell on 2 and a half seasons in terms of youth development? Players he didn’t recruit or have a say in the development of in the first place.

Regardless, the CLUB has historically developed lots of players across all 3 divisions.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 09 Dec 2017, 16:59

ellsswfctiger wrote:
caslad69 wrote:Why oh why are we as a club letting the best young prospects join our rivals. I am led to believe that he has everything to make it in the game. It’s crazy to let him go even though we have got decent money for him.

Because we got 45 grand for a kid whos 2 years away from even knocking on the door of the first team with more than enough players in his position in front of him in the pecking order.

And the 45k will have paid for 3 years of truemans wages...

no brainer and clever business from the club for me :clap:
3 years of wages? Narrrr. Trueman would want more than 15k a year for sure. He will be 21 in his final year. 15k is nothing.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 09 Dec 2017, 19:42

He'll be on 20k a year imo
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

TownvillesTiger

Post by TownvillesTiger » 10 Dec 2017, 18:30

LJ didn't "want to leave"

Warrington approached him with a view to sign at the end of the 2018 season.

For some reason they decided they actually wanted him this season (avoid the interest of other clubs, Id assume) and offered £45k,

LJ was told this was too good to turn down and he should let the move to Warrington happen.

Shareholder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shareholder » 11 Dec 2017, 09:08

From the official website by Daryl Powell “We have taken into account Luis’ wish to take up this offer ”

TownvillesTiger

Post by TownvillesTiger » 11 Dec 2017, 09:40

I can assure you, it wasn't LJ's wish to leave.

He is very disappointed, as are some of the lads from the 19s, who have grown up playing rugby with him.

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 11 Dec 2017, 09:51

TownvillesTiger wrote:I can assure you, it wasn't LJ's wish to leave.

He is very disappointed, as are some of the lads from the 19s, who have grown up playing rugby with him.
Wasn't his intention to leave now or wasn't his intention to leave when his contract was up?
I have no insider knowledge, but the feel of Cas' statement made me think that they believed he would go when his contract was up so cashed in now.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

TownvillesTiger

Post by TownvillesTiger » 11 Dec 2017, 10:16

He had no desire to leave.

Shareholder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shareholder » 11 Dec 2017, 10:32

the Bottom line is , he didn’t have to go , he still had a year to go on his contract , but I feel sure a 4 year deal and travelling over to Warrington , somewhere money had a fair bit to do with it . And for the academy lads who are disappointed , they need to get a grip , as at least one of them will be in the 17 every week now he’s gone. Think it’s time to move on and develop the next best thing don’t you ?

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 11 Dec 2017, 10:34

After watching Lois progress this year I am disappointed for him to leave, but for the next few years we seem to be well covered in the second row department , the one I would have loved to keep was Mclelland I think he will go far in the kick and clap brigade , good luck to both young fellas

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 11 Dec 2017, 10:41

gateman wrote:After watching Lois progress this year I am disappointed for him to leave, but for the next few years we seem to be well covered in the second row department , the one I would have loved to keep was Mclelland I think he will go far in the kick and clap brigade , good luck to both young fellas
Mclelland started out in kick and clap and money will have played a big part in his decision. It would be a fair few years before he played regular first team for us so will have been on peanuts for years to come.

End of the day we cant keep them all.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 11 Dec 2017, 10:42

So the club statement is a lie then is what your saying ?

TownvillesTiger

Post by TownvillesTiger » 11 Dec 2017, 10:48

Shareholder wrote:the Bottom line is , he didn’t have to go , he still had a year to go on his contract , but I feel sure a 4 year deal and travelling over to Warrington , somewhere money had a fair bit to do with it . And for the academy lads who are disappointed , they need to get a grip , as at least one of them will be in the 17 every week now he’s gone. Think it’s time to move on and develop the next best thing don’t you ?
Think it’s time to move on and develop the next best thing don’t you ?

Yep, then we can let him go/lose him/push him out, without ever playing a SL game for us.

TownvillesTiger

Post by TownvillesTiger » 11 Dec 2017, 10:50

gateman wrote:After watching Lois progress this year I am disappointed for him to leave, but for the next few years we seem to be well covered in the second row department , the one I would have loved to keep was Mclelland I think he will go far in the kick and clap brigade , good luck to both young fellas
Agreed and Mcelland probably was the star, but JL was a stand out player and very consistent.

TownvillesTiger

Post by TownvillesTiger » 11 Dec 2017, 10:50

fords wrote:

Believe whatever you chose to, it makes no odds to me.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 11 Dec 2017, 12:47

TownvillesTiger wrote:
fords wrote:

Sounds like you know the lad very well (Parent or best mate) and to leave the club he loves must be very disappointing.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 11 Dec 2017, 12:50

fast hands wrote:
TownvillesTiger wrote:
fords wrote:

Sounds like you know the lad very well (Parent or best mate) and to leave the club he loves must be very disappointing.
Looks like Cas were more interested in the brass and Lee Briers sees more in LJ than Powell. Only time will tell if we made a good call on this one.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 11 Dec 2017, 13:39

Even if LJ turns good to get £45k is outstanding business, that's a 3rd of what Hardaker cost. For someone that is completely unproven.