Cory Aston

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Cory Aston

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 11 Dec 2017, 19:30

One of the poorest signings we have made in years. I would be very surprised if this kid ever plays in our first 13.

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Cory aston signs 2 year

Post by Jonny1975 » 11 Dec 2017, 19:33

These ' won't be on much ' players start to rack the wage bill up, I'd gladly swap the wages of Clare, Green, Aston, Ellis, for a proven FB, such as a Mead, who is attracting SL interest. I don't see the point of having these players on the cap, when the chance is they will be playing most of their Rugby at Halifax, I mean we have 6 wingers, that some injury crisis to see the 5th n 6th choice figure in any games. I don't get the signings.. I hope I'm wrong.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Dec 2017, 19:41

Yeah fair point mate
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 11 Dec 2017, 19:44

We have 6 wingers but you have to look at the bigger picture.

Minikin - cover in the centres for Webster and Shenton
Eden - cover at full-back for Roberts (who himself will move into halves as cover for Ellis and Gale)
Clare - cover for Roberts and Minikin/Eden
Lo - cover for Minikin/Eden
Hitchcox - cover for Minikin/Eden and Roberts

Gill, Egodo - both actually centres and cover for Webster, Shenton, Minikin and Wardle.

Sheehan - a young kid.

If you lose a half, centre and a full-back (Ellis, Roberts and Webster let's say), that sees Eden drop to FB, a new winger come in for him, Minikin move to centre and a new winger come in on the other side.

That's your first 4 wingers down already.

Eden
Clare
Minikin
Shenton
Hitchcox/Lo
Trueman
Gale
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 11 Dec 2017, 19:46

Didn't Leeds buy him to help Sheffield with a tax bill

LeagueLeaders
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by LeagueLeaders » 11 Dec 2017, 19:57

Leeds signed him and he didn't get a single game for them. Now we have signed him and he plays the same position as Gale and Ellis. I would be very surprised if he even made our bench, nevermind the field. I expect that he will be released on loan to lower league teams

yorkie1bn
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by yorkie1bn » 11 Dec 2017, 19:59

Should rename this forum ,The doom and cloom, forum ,Were all doomed Mr powel were all doomed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 11 Dec 2017, 20:24

It's not doom & gloom, it's genuine concern at our mediocre recruitment. I don't want to be stood on the Terraces in June watching us scramble into the 8. I feel we have missed a really good opportunity to bring in signings that can establish us as a top 4 team for the coming years. The club must have had record turnover & profit last season, and yet we still shop at the Rugby equivalent to Poundland. Like I say I hope I'm wrong but really do fear I won't be. If I am I'll gladly come in here hold my hands up and apologise.

Shareholder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shareholder » 11 Dec 2017, 21:10

At 69 I never thought I’d go to Wembley again, was almost certain I’d never go to a Grand Final , and only in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would see a league leaders shield be presented to us on our hallowed turf, but we have , and DP has given us a reason to believe dreams do come true. I have questioned some signings , it’s only human nature. I now go to games knowing we have more than a 50-50 chance of winning , I have seen my club go from the brink of super league oblivion to super league club of the year, not back down from all adversity’s thrown at them, and more than that have put a smile on thousands of fans young and old , and if you think they have done it by shopping at Poundland then I reckon the rest of Super League must be shopping at car boot sales

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 11 Dec 2017, 21:35

Shareholder wrote:At 69 I never thought I’d go to Wembley again, was almost certain I’d never go to a Grand Final , and only in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would see a league leaders shield be presented to us on our hallowed turf, but we have , and DP has given us a reason to believe dreams do come true. I have questioned some signings , it’s only human nature. I now go to games knowing we have more than a 50-50 chance of winning , I have seen my club go from the brink of super league oblivion to super league club of the year, not back down from all adversity’s thrown at them, and more than that have put a smile on thousands of fans young and old , and if you think they have done it by shopping at Poundland then I reckon the rest of Super League must be shopping at car boot sales
and me :clap:

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 11 Dec 2017, 21:36

Can't see what we have gained by releasing Tom Holmes and replacing him with Aston. I don't believe Tom let anyone down last year and stood up well in some big games.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 11 Dec 2017, 21:52

Sharlotiger wrote:Can't see what we have gained by releasing Tom Holmes and replacing him with Aston. I don't believe Tom let anyone down last year and stood up well in some big games.
He wanted to go for his own career. Nothing with the club releasing him. If a player wants first team rugby then so be it.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 11 Dec 2017, 22:01

Sharlotiger wrote:Can't see what we have gained by releasing Tom Holmes and replacing him with Aston. I don't believe Tom let anyone down last year and stood up well in some big games.
Holmes wanted to leave? He was going to be 3rd/4th maybe even 5th choice. Aston will be on less money than Holmes and let's just see where it goes before he bag him he's not even pulled on a shirt yet.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 11 Dec 2017, 22:03

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:One of the poorest signings we have made in years. I would be very surprised if this kid ever plays in our first 13.
Waste of time if you ask me

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 11 Dec 2017, 22:11

It really does baffle me how people on here claim to know what money players are on.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 11 Dec 2017, 22:20

HuddsTigers wrote:We have 6 wingers but you have to look at the bigger picture.

Minikin - cover in the centres for Webster and Shenton
Eden - cover at full-back for Roberts (who himself will move into halves as cover for Ellis and Gale)
Clare - cover for Roberts and Minikin/Eden
Lo - cover for Minikin/Eden
Hitchcox - cover for Minikin/Eden and Roberts

Gill, Egodo - both actually centres and cover for Webster, Shenton, Minikin and Wardle.

Sheehan - a young kid.

If you lose a half, centre and a full-back (Ellis, Roberts and Webster let's say), that sees Eden drop to FB, a new winger come in for him, Minikin move to centre and a new winger come in on the other side.

That's your first 4 wingers down already.

Eden
Clare
Minikin
Shenton
Hitchcox/Lo
Trueman
Gale

Eden will not be FB backup ever.

Clare will be

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 11 Dec 2017, 22:42

And how some people think ones years profits should lead to a spending spree on players,when there will need plenty of cash to maintain the Old Lady that is Wheldon Road.
I don't know the wages players or staff are on ,but business costs rarely go down,no doubt in order to retain our Pound Land players they would be on improved terms.
Some posters also seem to believe they are better coaches than Powell and co.
I said it after The Grand Final dispite the disappointment of that day.
Going to watch Cas in recent years has been an exhilarating and joyous experience,expecting to win as opposed to hoping we won't concede fifty plus.
This was achieved with more or less our existing squad.
We lost Lynch a wonderful servant to the club and the game but not the player he was ,Monners another who served us well but who's best days were behind him,and of course through no fault of the club one of Super Leagues best players in Zac.
Under Daryl l have watch the best seasons soince l began watching the boys in forty years.
No crystal ball,no rose or even Black and Amber tinted glasses just faith in the players,the coaches and Steve Gill.
Can't wait for the new season to begin and seeing what miracles will unfold.
In the past it was at times a masochistic persuit now lonly look forward.
C.O.Y.F.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 11 Dec 2017, 22:48

Hardly a signing to set the pulse racing but he deserves a chance. Personally i’d have preferred a little less quantity and more quality but in DP we trust.

Le Van
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Le Van » 11 Dec 2017, 23:30

casjunction wrote:

Going to watch Cas in recent years has been an exhilarating and joyous experience,expecting to win as opposed to hoping we won't concede fifty plus.

Absolutely spot on. ..

How many of our fans have got short memories?

There used to be a time when a Bulls fan at work would ask me who we were playing at the weekend and I used to say....

" This week we are losing by 20 to Wake. ...."

Let's enjoy the moment, not criticise

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Dec 2017, 07:17

Le Van wrote:
casjunction wrote:

Absolutely spot on. ..

How many of our fans have got short memories?

There used to be a time when a Bulls fan at work would ask me who we were playing at the weekend and I used to say....

" This week we are losing by 20 to Wake. ...."

Let's enjoy the moment, not criticise
I don't think that most of our fans have got short memories, and in any event there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism but bear in mind that you don't have to be a Cas fan to post on here