Cory Aston

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Cory aston signs 2 year

Post by Bolton-tiger » 11 Dec 2017, 13:12

On official facebook page with a 2 year deal.thoughts?

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Cory Aston

Post by gateman » 11 Dec 2017, 13:13

just noticed we have signed this lad I am completely in the dark over this one

onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Cory aston signs 2 year

Post by onetiger » 11 Dec 2017, 13:21

dp wanted him so must put our trust in him
not let us down yet..

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 11 Dec 2017, 14:23

Not for a long time have I been so underwhelmed by our recruitment, at 9/2 to win League Leaders next season, we must be the lay of the century.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 11 Dec 2017, 14:34

Jonny1975 wrote:Not for a long time have I been so underwhelmed by our recruitment, at 9/2 to win League Leaders next season, we must be the lay of the century.
Have a look across Super League. Most teams are struggling to recruit decent players, with a lot of clubs looking to the Championship and their own academies to fill the void, Barring Warrington, I think most of the recruitment across SL hasn't been good when you look at players outgoing and incoming. And even then Warrington had to recruit to try and catch up.

We have strong squad depth of solid SL performers and that's where most clubs fall down - not enough of it. We have also retained our strongest and starting 17 from last year, a huge advantage compared to other sides having to bed in new halves, new combinations and new philosophies.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 11 Dec 2017, 14:36

Let's remember that Leeds didn't think Luke Gale was good enough when he was a young half back.....

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 11 Dec 2017, 15:00

More signs telling us Roberts to full back.
Gale
Ellis
Trueman
Aston
4 half backs.

Tigerwood posse
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: no

Post by Tigerwood posse » 11 Dec 2017, 15:04

Surely hes only been signed as the tea boy, nobody has had a good word to say about him in terms of playing the sport. maybe its part of the deal that brought Gary Lo to Cas, maybe the fact we got the heads up before the world cup about him was only because we agreed to give DP's mates lad a job :shock: :shock:

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 11 Dec 2017, 15:28

We seem to get the same response year upon year about how underwhelming our signings are, and these signings have proven the fans wrong, every time . Gale, Cook, Solomona, Eden, Massey, Springer, McMeeken, Hichcox, and even Roberts, all these players have come to Cas and improved their game beyond recognition.

Some fans aren't happy unless there is something to moan about. We have just had the best season in the history of the club, with these very underwhelming signings what we cherry picked from the lower clubs.

What fans are forgetting is a player down under can make more money playing in the reserve grade than they probably do over hear, and even though we have stopped loosing money we are still not in a position to fill the squad with big names what some would like

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 11 Dec 2017, 15:44

we will have to wait and see how the lad goes you would have thought he could have broke into the Leeds team last season when they had a centre playing half back

43s flyer
League One Player
League One Player

Post by 43s flyer » 11 Dec 2017, 15:50

Saw Cory Aston several time playing for fev, didn't do anything to impress. Maybe D.P can work his magic.

drleftie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by drleftie » 11 Dec 2017, 16:14

Frankas wrote:We seem to get the same response year upon year about how underwhelming our signings are, and these signings have proven the fans wrong, every time . Gale, Cook, Solomona, Eden, Massey, Springer, McMeeken, Hichcox, and even Roberts, all these players have come to Cas and improved their game beyond recognition.

Some fans aren't happy unless there is something to moan about. We have just had the best season in the history of the club, with these very underwhelming signings what we cherry picked from the lower clubs.

What fans are forgetting is a player down under can make more money playing in the reserve grade than they probably do over hear, and even though we have stopped loosing money we are still not in a position to fill the squad with big names what some would like

:clap: :clap:

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 11 Dec 2017, 16:30

People are deluding themselves if they think this is anywhere near a good signing. This is a lad who was released from his contract from a club that retired/released both their half backs. At least we've been consistent with our close season signings, all bar one from Championship... No ambition from club to kick on from last season.

Shareholder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Shareholder » 11 Dec 2017, 16:46

Jonny 1975 I have been to more shareholder meetings than most , and to say this club has no ambition with the current coaching team or BOD is way off the mark. Just look how far the club has come over the past 4 years, is that through lack of ambition? Don’t fall into the trap that everything that costs a lot is good, we have been there before. The club is as well run now for as long as I can remember, you don’t know the ins or outs why DP signs the player he does , but it’s took us to Wembley , a grand final and league leaders shield , and I’ve bever enjoyed my Rugby as much. Sit back and enjoy the ride because one day DP and SG won’t be here .

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 11 Dec 2017, 17:59

Shareholder - These signings will be do well to maintain the level of standard set last season, they are bargain basements signings all bar Wardle, so therefore I feel I'm within my rights to question the ambition of the club. DP does find the odd rough diamond and gets improvement out of them, but I don't see how he can do that with players that have already played SL and looked decidedly average when doing it. I don't want overseas journey men on a final day pay off, but don't think I'm asking much for a marquee signing from the NRL to boost the squad. Tagataese or Mead to name but 2. Aston was the final straw for me, on a plus side Halifax should have a decent side next year.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 11 Dec 2017, 18:20

Can't comment on the lads ability.
But our coaching staff have turned numerous so called underwhelming signings in to the best team including visitors to grace Wheldon Road.
That's not a tinted glasses opinion look at the Dream Team.!
We have retained the core of last years squad ,so we have the continuity.
Under the stewardship of Powel,Gill et al we have enjoyed our greatest successes,played a style of rugby so entertaining and so effective it's been the most enjoyable seasons of my forty years of watching Cas.
To have recruited Hardacker last season would have been unthinkable five years yes it's a great pity his recreational activities will deprive us of his services for the duration of his ban.,Wardle is a quality signing and chose Cas over some of our rivals.
We made a profit increased our attendances ..
All good indicators of a successful business.
Replicating last season's success will be difficult but not impossible.
We are a small but extremely well run club,living within it's means.
Look at Salford.of recent years lots of cash big name signings BUT!!!
Roll on 2018 can't wait.
Welcome to Cas Cory .

peter parker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by peter parker » 11 Dec 2017, 18:37

Good signing for me.

It's really low risk. Two years, will be cheap, has been playing championship so can easily send out on loan to get game time. If he doesn't improve, we let him go after two years. Very little investment and he isn't here at expense of anyone else.

However, if he is decent, and responds well to the coaching of three former halfbacks (as Gale has, as Sneyd did), we will have found a cheap, British half.

Above all for me, the signing of Aston and the commitment to Trueman puts pressure on Gale and Ellis to perform. The latter, in particular, wasn't especially consistent for us in his last stint.

This squad has thrived over the last few years on competition for places. Signings like this are essential in maintaining that.

caslad69
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by caslad69 » 11 Dec 2017, 18:55

Totally agree jonny1975... not much ambition shown by the club in recruitment. Wardle is a class signing.the signing of Ashton baffles me. Think we will struggle to recapture the form we showed last year. I hope I am wrong though

peter parker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by peter parker » 11 Dec 2017, 19:07

That team was good enough to finish top last year with a pretty hefty margin. I'm pretty sure the team we have put together (which is mostly the same) can manage top four. That's all they need to do. I guess time will tell.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Dec 2017, 19:24

I dont no why people are getting hot under the collar its not like hes going to be starting half weve gale trueman ellis roberts maybe if there were injurys and mcshane all would be prefered to him , wont be on much see if ryan sheridan can improve him
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi