Cory Aston

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Cory aston signs 2 year

Post by Sharlotiger » 11 Dec 2017, 21:36

Can't see what we have gained by releasing Tom Holmes and replacing him with Aston. I don't believe Tom let anyone down last year and stood up well in some big games.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 11 Dec 2017, 21:52

Sharlotiger wrote:Can't see what we have gained by releasing Tom Holmes and replacing him with Aston. I don't believe Tom let anyone down last year and stood up well in some big games.
He wanted to go for his own career. Nothing with the club releasing him. If a player wants first team rugby then so be it.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 11 Dec 2017, 22:01

Sharlotiger wrote:Can't see what we have gained by releasing Tom Holmes and replacing him with Aston. I don't believe Tom let anyone down last year and stood up well in some big games.
Holmes wanted to leave? He was going to be 3rd/4th maybe even 5th choice. Aston will be on less money than Holmes and let's just see where it goes before he bag him he's not even pulled on a shirt yet.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Cory Aston

Post by fords » 11 Dec 2017, 22:03

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:One of the poorest signings we have made in years. I would be very surprised if this kid ever plays in our first 13.
Waste of time if you ask me

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 11 Dec 2017, 22:11

It really does baffle me how people on here claim to know what money players are on.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 11 Dec 2017, 22:20

HuddsTigers wrote:We have 6 wingers but you have to look at the bigger picture.

Minikin - cover in the centres for Webster and Shenton
Eden - cover at full-back for Roberts (who himself will move into halves as cover for Ellis and Gale)
Clare - cover for Roberts and Minikin/Eden
Lo - cover for Minikin/Eden
Hitchcox - cover for Minikin/Eden and Roberts

Gill, Egodo - both actually centres and cover for Webster, Shenton, Minikin and Wardle.

Sheehan - a young kid.

If you lose a half, centre and a full-back (Ellis, Roberts and Webster let's say), that sees Eden drop to FB, a new winger come in for him, Minikin move to centre and a new winger come in on the other side.

That's your first 4 wingers down already.

Eden
Clare
Minikin
Shenton
Hitchcox/Lo
Trueman
Gale

Eden will not be FB backup ever.

Clare will be

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 11 Dec 2017, 22:42

And how some people think ones years profits should lead to a spending spree on players,when there will need plenty of cash to maintain the Old Lady that is Wheldon Road.
I don't know the wages players or staff are on ,but business costs rarely go down,no doubt in order to retain our Pound Land players they would be on improved terms.
Some posters also seem to believe they are better coaches than Powell and co.
I said it after The Grand Final dispite the disappointment of that day.
Going to watch Cas in recent years has been an exhilarating and joyous experience,expecting to win as opposed to hoping we won't concede fifty plus.
This was achieved with more or less our existing squad.
We lost Lynch a wonderful servant to the club and the game but not the player he was ,Monners another who served us well but who's best days were behind him,and of course through no fault of the club one of Super Leagues best players in Zac.
Under Daryl l have watch the best seasons soince l began watching the boys in forty years.
No crystal ball,no rose or even Black and Amber tinted glasses just faith in the players,the coaches and Steve Gill.
Can't wait for the new season to begin and seeing what miracles will unfold.
In the past it was at times a masochistic persuit now lonly look forward.
C.O.Y.F.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 11 Dec 2017, 22:48

Hardly a signing to set the pulse racing but he deserves a chance. Personally i’d have preferred a little less quantity and more quality but in DP we trust.

Le Van
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Le Van » 11 Dec 2017, 23:30

casjunction wrote:

Going to watch Cas in recent years has been an exhilarating and joyous experience,expecting to win as opposed to hoping we won't concede fifty plus.

Absolutely spot on. ..

How many of our fans have got short memories?

There used to be a time when a Bulls fan at work would ask me who we were playing at the weekend and I used to say....

" This week we are losing by 20 to Wake. ...."

Let's enjoy the moment, not criticise

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Dec 2017, 07:17

Le Van wrote:
casjunction wrote:

Absolutely spot on. ..

How many of our fans have got short memories?

There used to be a time when a Bulls fan at work would ask me who we were playing at the weekend and I used to say....

" This week we are losing by 20 to Wake. ...."

Let's enjoy the moment, not criticise
I don't think that most of our fans have got short memories, and in any event there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism but bear in mind that you don't have to be a Cas fan to post on here

Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aid » 12 Dec 2017, 09:31

The Firm wrote:Hardly a signing to set the pulse racing but he deserves a chance. Personally i’d have preferred a little less quantity and more quality but in DP we trust.
Last season we were pretty lucky with injuries. We managed with just seven backs for the overwhelming majority of the year: Hardaker, Miniken, Webster, Shenton, Eden, Hitchcox and Monaghan (Gill and Egodo featured in one game each) So perhaps DP's thinking is that we will probably not be so lucky in 2018 so he is looking for more depth?
cum on you Ford

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Dec 2017, 19:17

Interesting but I've just watched the video with DP where he says that Aston is a late addition and is a replacement for Callum McLelland

Some key quotes:
* Halves difficult to come by
* Opportunity to grow someone within our system

Seems to me that Aston signing was very much with the intention of looking towards 2/3 years down the track and being English and young were two particular benefits (and no doubt helps us spend money in other areas of the squad too).

Be good to see how he develops with experienced players like Roberts and Gale guiding him.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 12 Dec 2017, 23:22

Any successful business has an element of speculation, a considered gamble...judge afterwards, not before.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 13 Dec 2017, 08:25

Time to leave CORY alone he as been signed by our club so he should have the 100% backing of al our supporters , RE Tom Holmes the lad never let us down i always thought he would make it having watched him through our system , i think he as viewed his position in the pecking order at CAS and thought a move would be the only way for him to play on a weekly basis, having talked to a near relation of his he as settled in at FEATH and is helping out in the local schools will we see him in a CAS shirt again i would not write that off as yet

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 13 Dec 2017, 09:44

Looks like a help out a mate signing.

Speaking to some Fev fans who i work with, they think he's average (i will add they were raving about Garry Lo before he starred for PNG in the World Cup).

Room for him to improve i guess.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 13 Dec 2017, 10:24

I have had the same feed back RE Garry LO from the FEATH fans in our club, I have not heard them mention CORRY both lads will have my 100% support

baldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by baldtiger » 13 Dec 2017, 11:35

Well am going to give the lad a chance . At the end of the day hes only 22 and played 75 + games in the championship if the coaching team think they can improve him great , if not i don't think hes going to break the bank plus 1 year ago Leeds beat a number of super-league clubs to sign him so they must have seen potential in the lad ..

Fev1983

Post by Fev1983 » 14 Dec 2017, 15:50

Seriously don’t know why you have signed this lad,,the lad is average championship at best..
When Leeds loaned him to us he said I’m only coming to Fev for game time I want to be in rhinos first team,now ambition is one thing but he is deluded..
Why did Leeds sign him?? I reckon an old pals act with heatherington and mark Aston because no way has he ever had or will have the ability to be a super league regular..
We even sent him back to Leeds who then sent him to Bradford,,
The lad can kick a goal other than that I’m baffled at why you’ve got him.i know dp can turn an average player in to a class player but I can see it here.
I bet he plays in our Boxing Day game and then won’t feature all season
Must admit I’m happy with tom Holmes coming to Fev,,,

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 14 Dec 2017, 18:55

HuddsTigers wrote: Be good to see how he develops with experienced players like Roberts and Gale guiding him.
As apposed to Burrows n Maguire guiding him?
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Towns88
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Towns88 » 14 Dec 2017, 20:43

Fev1983 wrote:Seriously don’t know why you have signed this lad,,the lad is average championship at best..
When Leeds loaned him to us he said I’m only coming to Fev for game time I want to be in rhinos first team,now ambition is one thing but he is deluded..
Why did Leeds sign him?? I reckon an old pals act with heatherington and mark Aston because no way has he ever had or will have the ability to be a super league regular..
We even sent him back to Leeds who then sent him to Bradford,,
The lad can kick a goal other than that I’m baffled at why you’ve got him.i know dp can turn an average player in to a class player but I can see it here.
I bet he plays in our Boxing Day game and then won’t feature all season
Must admit I’m happy with tom Holmes coming to Fev,,,

Very fair and accurate post. Perhaps he will be loaned to Sheffield or sent on duel reg to Halifax. Either way it doesn't really add up to a reason of us signing him.