Teams 'Figuring us out'..

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Teams 'Figuring us out'..

Post by lidds » 23 Jan 2018, 20:55

Seen on a few threads people stating that teams last year had figured us out towards the back end of the season, and that we were no longer a surprise (After having top tryscorer in 2016, and been in a CC final and one win off top in prior few years I have a hard time believing this.)

Anyway thought I would knock this together so people can 'see' if it is in fact true. The top line graph shows our points scored in green, and points against in red.

The bottom bar chart then either shows our winning / loosing margin. Apart from a poor end to the season (Literally the last 3 games) we did seem to be fairly consistent throughout the year, and still had some good winning margins in the super 8s (light blue) we actually lost 3 of our first 11 super league games. Then didn't loose a regular league game after then (More like we figure teams out)

Ok I agree we didn't have some of our blowout scores. But I still can't buy into the whole 'we wont be a surprise' 'teams figured us out toward the 2nd half of the season' argument.

Cheers :)

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Teams 'Figuring us out'..

Post by TT Tiger » 23 Jan 2018, 21:06

Wow it has been a long close season

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 23 Jan 2018, 21:38

Mathematically, the line graph is useless for two reasons:
1. Some months have more games than others, yet the interval is set to the same increment.
2. Line graphs are only useful to show the value of a consistent measurable. RL games are one-off pieces of data so the ‘line’ between each can be exaggerated or diminished depending on the result of the previous or following week.

The bar graph is more useful.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 23 Jan 2018, 21:45

I've commented on this topic quite a bit, but I posed a question rather than drew a conclusion. I like the graphs, by the way, although strictly speaking a line graph is not the correct one to illustrate what it does. Thanks for them. I still think it shows a closer second half of the season than first half, and all I wondered was will the trend continue into this year or will we remain as dominant. I look forward to finding out.

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 23 Jan 2018, 22:02

nottinghamtiger wrote:Mathematically, the line graph is useless for two reasons:
1. Some months have more games than others, yet the interval is set to the same increment.
2. Line graphs are only useful to show the value of a consistent measurable. RL games are one-off pieces of data so the ‘line’ between each can be exaggerated or diminished depending on the result of the previous or following week.

The bar graph is more useful.

Even with 'one off' pieces of data they are still useful to indicate trends, and even with peaks and troughs you should still be able to get an idea of whether we are improving / getting worse in defence / attack. And also show if we are been more consistent or erratic game to game