Most important......

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
fords
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Most important......

Post by fords » 10 Feb 2018, 11:36

Jonny1975 wrote:Shareholder - if I'm the resident troll you are referring to, look at all of my past posts, none have been untrue, Hardaker n Jessie signing for us was confirmed by me, Clare signing for us was confirmed by me, I never post stuff that isn't from a reliable source, so to call me a troll is insulting. I'm in a more privileged position than yourself to find information out, and all I do is relay it to the paying fan.

For the record, in my opinion our recruitment has been at best dire, to a point that I would question if our Coach has actually had in say in all of them. At the state of them I would hope not.

To come on here a call yourself " shareholder " is laughable, how much do you really finance the club, when in my eyes every paying fan is a share holder in the club.
TBF the signings apart from Wardle have been poor and questionable. So either

1. We have no space on the cap
2. We have no money to buy anybody
3. Somebody signed players for the sake
4. Somebody signed players without DP knowing
5. Something else.

Wardle - will be quality

For the life of me i have no idea why we signed Clare and Aston. We have Gill and Trueman for those positions.

We had to replace Patrick and Lynch - we got Green and Clark. Cheaper options but that's cos i assume we have improved other peoples contracts to keep them with us so could afford nobody else. Both these could turn out to be bargins.

Monners - we got Lo. Again cheaper option but could turn out ok

I think after the success of the last few years resulting in LLS in 2017 we all expected more.

Nobody knows when all the signings were actually done or how much the Zak mess played a part in what we have been able to bring in.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Feb 2018, 12:14

People have to consider beyond this year for recruitment.

In the next few years Webster and Shenton are both likely to be at the back end of the careers and heading towards retirement. As will Roberts.

That’s likely going to see Minikin move into the centres possibly along with Egodo if he makes the grade. Three players we are going to have to replace. Then there’s the potential that Hitchcox is off at the end of this year for more first team rugby too.

Part of me feels that Clare is a long term replacement for the latter (saving on a quota place for next year). Lo is a replacement for Monaghan.

Aston is a weird one as he has been played at 9 by DP. But again English, local lad, less risky and possibly a long term replacement for Roberts.

There’s probably method in the madness along the way but it’s hard to detach yourself as a fan from the face value in the situation.

We have a few players off contract this year so it will be interesting to see what happens there!
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 10 Feb 2018, 12:18

the machine wrote:
fast hands wrote:If anyone in doubt whether CAS signed Clare and Aston while DP was in Australia, perhaps this will help everyone. Clare signed 5th December, Aston signed 12th December, DP WAS safely back home almost 2 weeks before the first of these signings.
Wasn't that when they were announced rather than signed???
Confirmed signings I am led to believe,but perhaps you could be correct. All I was saying DP was back at the club when announced, so Powell was a party to the signings, whether someone else involved I don't know.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Feb 2018, 12:26

Clare was training at cas weeks before it was announced , get the signings right this year and move on lot of good players at cas no need for any mistakes to cost us long term maybe not do as well this season but that was always going be tough till hardaker issue resolved
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 10 Feb 2018, 12:47

HuddsTigers wrote:People have to consider beyond this year for recruitment.

In the next few years Webster and Shenton are both likely to be at the back end of the careers and heading towards retirement. As will Roberts.

That’s likely going to see Minikin move into the centres possibly along with Egodo if he makes the grade. Three players we are going to have to replace. Then there’s the potential that Hitchcox is off at the end of this year for more first team rugby too.

Part of me feels that Clare is a long term replacement for the latter (saving on a quota place for next year). Lo is a replacement for Monaghan.

Aston is a weird one as he has been played at 9 by DP. But again English, local lad, less risky and possibly a long term replacement for Roberts.

There’s probably method in the madness along the way but it’s hard to detach yourself as a fan from the face value in the situation.

We have a few players off contract this year so it will be interesting to see what happens there!
I agree with this. I think it's succession planning, not about this season. Only time will tell.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 10 Feb 2018, 13:07

If you seriously believe that any of those signings, Wardle apart, are our future then enjoy last season because it wont happen again.

Dear me Hudds surely even you cant think this?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Feb 2018, 13:21

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:If you seriously believe that any of those signings, Wardle apart, are our future then enjoy last season because it wont happen again.

What I do know is that Clare is a proven try scorer and that every good team has depth and squad players. You can’t get by on 17 superstars and no Super League team can afford 26 superstars under the salary cap.

It’s why Ian Kirke, Ryan Bailey et al have Grand Final rings and why Chris Hill currently doesn’t.

I also know that Powell has a good track record with squad players. It’s why some punts work out and some don’t. It’s also why we have the likes of McMeeken, Minikin, Cook, Solomona playing or played for us.

When Shenton, Webster and our more experienced players retire we will have more money to invest in our squad. It’s cyclical.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 10 Feb 2018, 13:32

gateman wrote:A couple of wins and this thread will hopefully disappear , when it was started i thought it was some one trying to cause trouble i know its only a forum and every one as aright to put their views forward but lets not try to rock the boat for rocking the boats sake
Why do people automatically think as you do as soon as things are asked that might just upset the rose tinted brigade Gateman?

My questions/posts are purely my own thoughts and views on what we see/hear from the club as I thought most other peoples were.

How could asking questions or for views on things Cas on here cause trouble for the club? Is the club run on what people say on here? Absolutely not.

Does DP pick the team based on posts on here? Not a chance.

How many fans actually post on here? I would bet a very small %age.

The club dont even engage the shareholders on many things so why listen to a small group of fans on here?

I see this forum as a place for Cas fans to share their opinions and thoughts and just because we dont all agree all the time does not make anyone a trouble maker does it?

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 10 Feb 2018, 13:44

HuddsTigers wrote:
Lofthouse Tiger wrote:If you seriously believe that any of those signings, Wardle apart, are our future then enjoy last season because it wont happen again.

What I do know is that Clare is a proven try scorer and that every good team has depth and squad players. You can’t get by on 17 superstars and no Super League team can afford 26 superstars under the salary cap.

It’s why Ian Kirke, Ryan Bailey et al have Grand Final rings and why Chris Hill currently doesn’t.

I also know that Powell has a good track record with squad players. It’s why some punts work out and some don’t. It’s also why we have the likes of McMeeken, Minikin, Cook, Solomona playing or played for us.

When Shenton, Webster and our more experienced players retire we will have more money to invest in our squad. It’s cyclical.

I never said we need 17 superstars.

Clare proven track record at what level? Not SL.

I never said we should have 26 superstars either.

Leeds have players with winners rings because they had quality all over the field with a cracking junior set up. Thats why tgey have won what they have and we havent.

No money to spend? Whst has happened to the increased revenue and prize money over last 3 years?

You cant expect DP to be a miracle man season after season. As good a record as he has it wont go on without hiccups.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 10 Feb 2018, 13:51

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

Leeds have players with winners rings because they had quality all over the field with a cracking junior set up. Thats why tgey have won what they have and we havent.

No money to spend? Whst has happened to the increased revenue and prize money over last 3 years?

You cant expect DP to be a miracle man season after season. As good a record as he has it wont go on without hiccups.
Gone towards paying back the 2million + we owe the Fultons maybe. As good as they have been they will want it back at some point and although all money loaned is against the ground so they will get it back anyway if and when we move as they basically own the lot.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Feb 2018, 13:57

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

Gone into the off-field and building coaching staff, equipment and medical staff, as well as the black hole that is our existing stadium upkeep. Oh and rising costs that the club experiences just as much as us in our personal lives.

There is a much bigger picture that fans neglect. The whole operation doesn’t just start and end with the first team squad and that’s it!

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 10 Feb 2018, 14:03

Dont disagree they should be paid back. I would be surprised if it was partly paid back after a good season or two leaving nothing in the pot for team improvements. Looking at who we have signed you could be right fords.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Feb 2018, 14:05

As for Clare, I said proven try scoring record. He’s scored 60 tries in 85 appearances including 30 in 39 appearances in Super League for us and Leigh (according to LRL).

He comes to us with a better record than Solomona and Lo has! Yet the hypocrisy on here loves Lo because he scored a few against lower quality teams in the World Cup yet hated Clare because he’s not played in the NRL and once played for us, no doubt swayed by the fact we let him go at the time because he wanted first team rugby and we had Carney and Solomona on the wings.

You need experienced Super League players in your squad, of which Clare is. He’s also a homegrown lad, loves the club and is a decent finisher. Probably also the same people criticising him who want Calum Turner (a lad who hasn’t even played a senior game) in the first team. Bit of double standards on here me thinks.
Last edited by HuddsTigers on 10 Feb 2018, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Feb 2018, 14:11

As for the rest of the comments, you could sign an NRL player who doesn’t settle, or who takes the pee and is here for a holiday. Powell always look for homegrown players where he can as they are more affordable, there’s less risk and it makes the money go further in the squad. And he’s not afraid to take a punt or two on Champ players to make the step up (Foster, Minikin, Hitchcox.

As for Leeds having a good academy, that they undoubtedly did. But yet they still don’t spend all the salary cap - look at their Grand Final team last season.

Rugby League I’d say is 60% personnel and 40% attitude and work ethic. Feel free to adjust the percentages as you suit. But for me a team sport isn’t about having big flashy names or egos, it’s about working hard for each other, standing up for one another and putting in hard graft. Application, attitude, spirit and a touch of class wins games.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 10 Feb 2018, 14:16

Who hates Clare because he doesnt have a foreign name? Are you serious?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Feb 2018, 14:20

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Who hates Clare because he doesnt have a foreign name? Are you serious?
Foreign name was probably the wrong phrase. It was more the fact that he hasn’t come from an NRL background. There’s an attitude in rugby league that all the best players come from the NRL. We must sign someone who’s a big nasty prop from South Sea Island. Surely there’s someone in the Reserve Grade in the NRL who can do a job. Etc etc

I’m a firm believer that you can get just as good value in homegrown or domestic based players and more often than not a better ROI from them.

We have overspent in the past on bang average players and look where that made us end up!

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 10 Feb 2018, 14:44

HuddsTigers wrote:
Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Who hates Clare because he doesnt have a foreign name? Are you serious?
Foreign name was probably the wrong phrase. It was more the fact that he hasn’t come from an NRL background. There’s an attitude in rugby league that all the best players come from the NRL. We must sign someone who’s a big nasty prop from South Sea Island. Surely there’s someone in the Reserve Grade in the NRL who can do a job. Etc etc

I’m a firm believer that you can get just as good value in homegrown or domestic based players and more often than not a better ROI from them.

We have overspent in the past on bang average players and look where that made us end up!

Given that people were clamouring for Walmsley last year and that Hardaker is considered the biggest hole in our team right now I'm not sure the statement about people judging English talent unfairly rings entirely true.

I think people want more established names who bring a known quantity to the table - it's hard for me as someone who's never seen the under 19s to suggest the u-19s starter should be our first team fullback, but I do know that Meads could plug that hole effectively as a proven talent - a known quantity.

At some point teams have to bite the bullet and put a kid out there - Truman for example (who i think we should stick with), but this has to be gradual and peppered with experienced talent.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Feb 2018, 15:13

For anyone that cares, players OOC at end of this year are:

Webster
Eden
Holmes
Milner
Sene-Lefao
Cook (2019 option in club’s favour)
Green
Hitchcox
Clare
Gill
Egodo
Douglas
O’Neill (article reads as if ends mid-season)

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Feb 2018, 15:47

Milner cook eden jsl egodo oniell id be offering extensions too not seen enough of green ...see how holmes and webster go
gill done nowt wrong so maybe him too
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 10 Feb 2018, 15:58

Would be happy to keep first 6. Would keep Hitchcock but I reckon he will go somewhere else for more game time.

Rest I wouldnt bother with at all. They arent good enough.