Zak Hardaker

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Spanishtiger
Verified

Re: Zak Hardaker

Post by Spanishtiger » 20 Feb 2018, 01:19

That's what I meant to ask, if anyone had seen the actual paper. "Zak said I'm" is all I can get.off the web

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 20 Feb 2018, 01:22

Spanishtiger wrote:That's what I meant to ask, if anyone had seen the actual paper. "Zak said I'm" is all I can get.off the web
That’s all i can get too. I hope somebody has seen it as it’ll be interesting to know

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 20 Feb 2018, 01:31

Yes it would. In the meantime a word of advice for young Mr. Walker, if you intend to be a respected journo/author, it pays to spend a few minutes checking your facts before you publish your story. It's not like the old days where you had to go to Leeds Central Library and read through all their Rothmans. A simple google search would have saved you from committing that particular error. Not that it matters to us, we love shouting people down ....

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 20 Feb 2018, 01:44

Spanishtiger wrote:Yes it would. In the meantime a word of advice for young Mr. Walker, if you intend to be a respected journo/author, it pays to spend a few minutes checking your facts before you publish your story. It's not like the old days where you had to go to Leeds Central Library and read through all their Rothmans. A simple google search would have saved you from committing that particular error. Not that it matters to us, we love shouting people down ....
:lol: :lol: I have some old Rothmans Yearbooks in a box in the loft. I’ll dig em out and send to him :lol:

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 20 Feb 2018, 01:48

Or failing that you could ask any Cas fan over the age of 40 and they'd tell you for free

dancas88
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dancas88 » 20 Feb 2018, 08:15

derbystiger wrote:
Spanishtiger wrote:That's what I meant to ask, if anyone had seen the actual paper. "Zak said I'm" is all I can get.off the web
That’s all i can get too. I hope somebody has seen it as it’ll be interesting to know
"I'm just getting on with things" it was quite an in depth interview with only the one sentence. Quality journalism.

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 20 Feb 2018, 08:25

Spanishtiger wrote:Yes it would. In the meantime a word of advice for young Mr. Walker, if you intend to be a respected journo/author, it pays to spend a few minutes checking your facts before you publish your story. It's not like the old days where you had to go to Leeds Central Library and read through all their Rothmans. A simple google search would have saved you from committing that particular error. Not that it matters to us, we love shouting people down ....
Unfortunately ST, the thought had not actually occurred to me. I just found it hard to imagine that Castleford would pay any kind of money like that, especially in 1989!

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 20 Feb 2018, 09:48

In the days of DVDV we were a big spending club if I remember correctly we paid handsomely for the likes of Ford, Crooks, Ellis, Kemp, Nikau and Blackmore as well as Steadman. That’s off the to of my head without referring to rothmans os I await the shout down.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Feb 2018, 09:52

I know but 170 grand in 1989 its hard to imagine that today really
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 20 Feb 2018, 11:37

It’s just further proof how British Rl has gone backwards if anything,I remember one of the cup finals in the early 90s getting bigger viewing figures than the fa cup final on the BBC. I think our younger followers have been brainwashed a bit by the super dooper league. The best players in the world came here in the 90s before summer rugby maybe that’s where it all started to unravel.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 20 Feb 2018, 11:42

What makes it even more unbelievable is that we bought Crooks for 150k in the same season. Plus all those on TT's list over the next couple of years. Plus Tony Morrison and Ian Smales and Andy Fisher. TBF Singe was an absolute bargain, think we paid 30 grand for him.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 20 Feb 2018, 12:38

You can look at the ZAK signing another way , we would not be even talking about ZAK if the snake was still with us , bargain buys what about Jack Austin £500 from either Wakefield or Bramley

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 20 Feb 2018, 13:15

Spanishtiger wrote:What makes it even more unbelievable is that we bought Crooks for 150k in the same season. Plus all those on TT's list over the next couple of years. Plus Tony Morrison and Ian Smales and Andy Fisher. TBF Singe was an absolute bargain, think we paid 30 grand for him.
Cas did seem to splash the cash about when Dave Poulter was in charge.

masher

Post by masher » 20 Feb 2018, 13:16

I think transfer fees were more common in RL pre bosman. If you wanted to sign a player you had to pay a fee to his current club. If i remember correctly the option of waiting until a contract had run out and signing them for free was not available.
Also many players were not full time professionals, although the transfer fees were higher the wage bill would have been considerably lower i would imagine.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 20 Feb 2018, 13:33

Plus you got more for your money then,it went a whole lot further

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 20 Feb 2018, 15:35

That's right masher, players were contracted under a system called retain and transfer which basically meant that the only way you could change clubs was to request a transfer and hope that the clubs could agree a price or force it to a tribunal to set the fee. I think Kelvin Skerrett was the first player to sign a contract stipulating that he would be a free agent at the end of the contract period, which is why he went from Bradford to Wigan for nothing.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 20 Feb 2018, 17:14

If we have let him go before a decision is made re a ban, then that is utterly ridiculous. Even more so if (and it is still a big if) we have let him go without commanding a fee or a swap/replacement.
Would be one of the worst decisions in living memory from a club point of view.
I can't buy into the 6-12 game ban rumours being touted about but 2 people have told me the same story who seemed quite adamant the source was credible. But we will have to wait and see. If he has gone to Wigan and it is anything but a 2 year ban then will be a poor and costly decision.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 20 Feb 2018, 18:31

We would still hold his registration though - even if we have sacked him. Wigan would still have to pay us for that although I cannot see it costing them much.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 20 Feb 2018, 20:41

Tigerade wrote:We would still hold his registration though - even if we have sacked him. Wigan would still have to pay us for that although I cannot see it costing them much.
This could be the most important factor in the entire affair........?

If we can prevent Zak / Wigan doing us over then we SHOULD.

What kind of sport allows a player an increase in salary as part of a drug ban
Audacter Et Sincere

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Feb 2018, 20:45

Tigerade wrote:We would still hold his registration though - even if we have sacked him. Wigan would still have to pay us for that although I cannot see it costing them much.
I doubt we would. You can’t sack someone and then prevent them from working elsewhere!
On a wider point, I think we’ve lost sight a bit here. Hardaker is a top class player, but his next brain fart is always just around the corner.
Homophonic abuse, assault, class A, sent home from England duty.....and they are only the ones we know about.
Has he actually gone two years without some kind of problem?
He’s a ticking time bomb in terms of screwing up and it’s almost inevitable he’ll do something else equally as stupid very quickly. Is suspect he’ll end up in prison eventually.
He has been a ‘changed man’ so many times now. Leopards and spots and all that.....
Why do we want someone who is always a day away from pressing the self-destruct button - again? Get rid and use his salary on another full back. His replacement might not be as good, but at least he’s not guaranteed to screw up in the same way.