Alex Foster

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Alex Foster

Post by callum_walker » 01 Mar 2018, 17:08

I've got big respect for this player...always gives his all and never let's us down. https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 94753.html

Spanishtiger
Verified

Re: Alex Foster

Post by Spanishtiger » 01 Mar 2018, 23:45

Expert in Sport ..... debatable

Expert in punctuation and the use of the apostrophe ... Certainly not !!!!!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Mar 2018, 00:04

Spanishtiger wrote:Expert in Sport ..... debatable

Indeed. Completely inaccurate use of commas, semi-colons or indeed capital letters.
However, at least someone is putting some effort into writing about the club and I always enjoy reading this blog.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 02 Mar 2018, 02:19

Foster is yet another of Daryl's unsung heros.
Heart of a lion,
Strong as an Ox
Willing to hit the line
Good footwork as well as a useful kicking game.
Only issue is head gear.
Of the many signings. Daryl makes he continues to unearth gem.
He may have got a few wrong but maybe the are yet more projects who have yet to deliver.
Gadwin and big Will spring to mind.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 02 Mar 2018, 08:03

RE Gadwin,In the first game i saw him play he was playing for Catalan he was very young but what a prospect i thought, whilst he as played for us on odd times he as looked like the player i thought he would turn out to be, but the lad seems to be dogged by injury , Big will i think if he does not rip it up this year in the championship he and the club will be parting company , foster is the type of player any coach loves 100% given were ever he plays but the jury's out with me as i don't think prop forward is his position ho for a couple of stone and a few inches in hight

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 02 Mar 2018, 08:54

Gadwin if he gets free of injurys could still make it , maher no hope , foster i can see being a top prop in a couple of years , i like reading what callum as to say about the team
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Burratha
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Burratha » 02 Mar 2018, 09:33

Give the lad a chance - we all have to begin our careers somewhere. I'd much rather read something positive about our club, than the general doom and gloom we tend to read on social media, particularly after the last 5-6 months we've had!

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 02 Mar 2018, 09:54

Gadwin's performances remind me of Audley Harrison in boxing, big, looks the part but ultimately disappointing.

Darnsarf

Post by Darnsarf » 02 Mar 2018, 12:17

Well you've got to commend the lad for having a go.

This was an interesting one:
https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 81735.html

Maybe it's an age thing but if he's going purely on the quality of the player rather than the longevity of their Super League career, surely our very own (although admittedly not in Super League) Tawera Nikau has to be on the list but then these lists are always about opinions...

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Mar 2018, 12:46

Darnsarf wrote:Well you've got to commend the lad for having a go.

Maybe it's an age thing but if he's going purely on the quality of the player rather than the longevity of their Super League career, surely our very own (although admittedly not in Super League) Tawera Nikau has to be on the list but then these lists are always about opinions...
He's having a go, but he gets a lot wrong!
"Paul appeared 241 times for Bradford, scoring an even more remarkable 224 tries in Bradford's "Golden Era"."
I didn't remember Robbie Paul are a prolific try scorer so had a look at his career stats. He scored 177 tries during his whole career (153 at Bradford, 14 at Huddersfield, 3 at Salford and 7 at Leigh).

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 02 Mar 2018, 14:41

tigerfeat wrote:Gadwin if he gets free of injurys could still make it , maher no hope , foster i can see being a top prop in a couple of years , i like reading what callum as to say about the team
Agree with this. I've said it a few times - Never while I have a hole in my ar5e that Maher will make it as a SL player. He's had plenty of time/chances to show just something that says 'maybe he could make it', but never does. Let Fax keep him. I can't find a bad word to say about Foster, the lads a machine, heart as big as a lion and will only get better. Jury is still out on Gadwin, but he does look to have that certain something that it takes if he can stay injury free for a period of time.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 02 Mar 2018, 15:11

casjunction wrote:Foster is yet another of Daryl's unsung heros.
Heart of a lion,
Strong as an Ox
Willing to hit the line
Good footwork as well as a useful kicking game.
Only issue is head gear.
Of the many signings. Daryl makes he continues to unearth gem.
He may have got a few wrong but maybe the are yet more projects who have yet to deliver.
Gadwin and big Will spring to mind.
Foster has a kicking game????

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 02 Mar 2018, 16:46

Fumper27 wrote:Foster has a kicking game????
Well he must be well practiced in kicking himself after putting that head band on!
Spreading the Cas gene pool

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 02 Mar 2018, 17:00

nottinghamtiger wrote:

Indeed. Completely inaccurate use of commas, semi-colons or indeed capital letters.
However, at least someone is putting some effort into writing about the club and I always enjoy reading this blog.

Please can you show me some examples? The editors keep editing the pieces and they're American

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 02 Mar 2018, 17:03

nottinghamtiger wrote:
Darnsarf wrote:Well you've got to commend the lad for having a go.

He's having a go, but he gets a lot wrong!
"Paul appeared 241 times for Bradford, scoring an even more remarkable 224 tries in Bradford's "Golden Era"."
I didn't remember Robbie Paul are a prolific try scorer so had a look at his career stats. He scored 177 tries during his whole career (153 at Bradford, 14 at Huddersfield, 3 at Salford and 7 at Leigh).

I apologise! I got my stats from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Paul rather than http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/playe ... mmary.html the disparity is huge.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 02 Mar 2018, 18:26

In the Information Age, it's quite easy for the most seasoned of journalists to get information wrong. The best will do it, the worst will do it. Callum is having a crack in an industry he wants to work in, and it's hard self-editing work too. I know most of it is constructive criticism but it does feel like bits are just taking potshots and being negative than offering support and encouragement at the same time.

Keep it up, Callum. I'd love to see some opinionated pieces/feature articles on general subjects too outside of Cas if you fancy it. Things like the US test in Denver? Academies etc.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 02 Mar 2018, 18:47

Thanks a lot HuddsTigers, it means a lot! I do write general pieces, but I thought this forum would prefer reading pieces on Cas rather than anything outside. I've already written a piece on the US test in Denver which has been sent for editing, so it should be published tomorrow. I can post it on here then if you would like.

On a side note, here is the link to my profile and you can go through all my articles if you fancied it. https://uk.blastingnews.com/editorial-s ... um-walker/

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Mar 2018, 19:07

callum_walker wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:

Please can you show me some examples? The editors keep editing the pieces and they're American
"This time last year, Alex Foster was without a club and three months' pay, now, he is an established Super League player."
This is two separate sentences:
This time last year Alex Foster was without a club and three months' pay. Now he is an established Super League player.

You use a lot of commas that you don't need:
"Then, in 2016, the Gloucester-born utility player moved to London permanently, [this comma isn't needed] on a two-year deal."

"Regardless of where Foster is asked to play, he will go ahead and play there, and, do so impressively."
As a general rule, don't put a comma next to 'and'. Either leave them out:
Regardless of where Foster is asked to play, he will go ahead and play there and do so impressively.
Personally, I'd simplify it even more:
Regardless of where Foster is asked to play, he will go ahead and play there impressively.

Sounds picky, but you asked for examples!
As I put before though I do enjoy reading the pieces and always have a look when they are posted.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 02 Mar 2018, 19:22

Seen it all now - English & Grammar lessons on the forum.

This is Cas ! You can’t educate Pork ! Ha Ha !!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Mar 2018, 19:24

CasRus wrote:Seen it all now - English & Grammar lessons on the forum.

This is Cas ! You can’t educate Pork ! Ha Ha !!
How rude.....
He did ask though........