Alex Foster

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Alex Foster

Post by HuddsTigers » 02 Mar 2018, 18:26

In the Information Age, it's quite easy for the most seasoned of journalists to get information wrong. The best will do it, the worst will do it. Callum is having a crack in an industry he wants to work in, and it's hard self-editing work too. I know most of it is constructive criticism but it does feel like bits are just taking potshots and being negative than offering support and encouragement at the same time.

Keep it up, Callum. I'd love to see some opinionated pieces/feature articles on general subjects too outside of Cas if you fancy it. Things like the US test in Denver? Academies etc.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 02 Mar 2018, 18:47

Thanks a lot HuddsTigers, it means a lot! I do write general pieces, but I thought this forum would prefer reading pieces on Cas rather than anything outside. I've already written a piece on the US test in Denver which has been sent for editing, so it should be published tomorrow. I can post it on here then if you would like.

On a side note, here is the link to my profile and you can go through all my articles if you fancied it. https://uk.blastingnews.com/editorial-s ... um-walker/

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Mar 2018, 19:07

callum_walker wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
Spanishtiger wrote:Expert in Sport ..... debatable

Expert in punctuation and the use of the apostrophe ... Certainly not !!!!!
Indeed. Completely inaccurate use of commas, semi-colons or indeed capital letters.
However, at least someone is putting some effort into writing about the club and I always enjoy reading this blog.

Please can you show me some examples? The editors keep editing the pieces and they're American
"This time last year, Alex Foster was without a club and three months' pay, now, he is an established Super League player."
This is two separate sentences:
This time last year Alex Foster was without a club and three months' pay. Now he is an established Super League player.

You use a lot of commas that you don't need:
"Then, in 2016, the Gloucester-born utility player moved to London permanently, [this comma isn't needed] on a two-year deal."

"Regardless of where Foster is asked to play, he will go ahead and play there, and, do so impressively."
As a general rule, don't put a comma next to 'and'. Either leave them out:
Regardless of where Foster is asked to play, he will go ahead and play there and do so impressively.
Personally, I'd simplify it even more:
Regardless of where Foster is asked to play, he will go ahead and play there impressively.

Sounds picky, but you asked for examples!
As I put before though I do enjoy reading the pieces and always have a look when they are posted.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 02 Mar 2018, 19:22

Seen it all now - English & Grammar lessons on the forum.

This is Cas ! You can’t educate Pork ! Ha Ha !!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Mar 2018, 19:24

CasRus wrote:Seen it all now - English & Grammar lessons on the forum.

This is Cas ! You can’t educate Pork ! Ha Ha !!
How rude.....
He did ask though........

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 02 Mar 2018, 19:42

nottinghamtiger wrote:
callum_walker wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:

Indeed. Completely inaccurate use of commas, semi-colons or indeed capital letters.
However, at least someone is putting some effort into writing about the club and I always enjoy reading this blog.

Please can you show me some examples? The editors keep editing the pieces and they're American
"This time last year, Alex Foster was without a club and three months' pay, now, he is an established Super League player."
This time last year Alex Foster was without a club and three months' pay. Now he is an established Super League player.

"Then, in 2016, the Gloucester-born utility player moved to London permanently, [this comma isn't needed] on a two-year deal."

"Regardless of where Foster is asked to play, he will go ahead and play there, and, do so impressively."
Regardless of where Foster is asked to play, he will go ahead and play there and do so impressively.
Regardless of where Foster is asked to play, he will go ahead and play there impressively.

As I put before though I do enjoy reading the pieces and always have a look when they are posted.
"This time last year, Alex Foster was without a club and three months' pay, now, he is an established Super League player." I put it as one sentence because I believed it flowed better.

I agree with your second point about the comma.

I've been told - as a journalist - that commas can be used before and after and. Also, I said "play there, and, do so impressively" because not only does Foster play in the position he has being told to play, when he does play there he plays well. I thought it was important to highlight that he both followed his coach's words and did a good job when required even though he not necessarily playing in his natural position. Other players may well play where they are told to, but may not do it well.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Mar 2018, 20:51

callum_walker wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
callum_walker wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:

"This time last year, Alex Foster was without a club and three months' pay, now, he is an established Super League player." I put it as one sentence because I believed it flowed better.

I agree with your second point about the comma.

I've been told - as a journalist - that commas can be used before and after and. Also, I said "play there, and, do so impressively" because not only does Foster play in the position he has being told to play, when he does play there he plays well. I thought it was important to highlight that he both followed his coach's words and did a good job when required even though he not necessarily playing in his natural position. Other players may well play where they are told to, but may not do it well.
I guess it can be argued that some things are stylistic, and there isn’t always a set rule (see what I did with the comma followed by ‘and’ there!).
I like reading your stuff. Personally, I think some of your sentences are long and excessively punctuated and this makes them disjointed. But others might not. I wouldn’t normally comment in such detail, but you did ask me to!

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 02 Mar 2018, 21:37

And never let's us down.

If you worked in asda you'd be selling potatoe's, tomatoe's and onion's. Which would be fine if you weren't publishing your special offers on the www.

Regarding your American editors, my personal experience after years of working with the ignorant tosspots is that you'd be better off asking anyone with O level English to proofread your work.

And always remember that one sentence with two commas could be two sentences with no commas. And that a good journalist always checks his facts from at least two sources.

That said, keep 'em coming my friend.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 02 Mar 2018, 21:41

In 2016 the Gloucester born player moved to London on a permanent two year deal.

How many commas (or comma's) ?

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 02 Mar 2018, 21:47

Spanishtiger wrote:And never let's us down.

If you worked in asda you'd be selling potatoe's, tomatoe's and onion's. Which would be fine if you weren't publishing your special offers on the www.

Regarding your American editors, my personal experience after years of working with the ignorant tosspots is that you'd be better off asking anyone with O level English to proofread your work.

And always remember that one sentence with two commas could be two sentences with no commas. And that a good journalist always checks his facts from at least two sources.

That said, keep 'em coming my friend.
You keep taking the mickey with apostrophes, but I can't see any instances where I've made a mistake in that respect?

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 02 Mar 2018, 21:57

And never lets us down.
And never let's us down.

The first means that the guy doesn't ever let us down.

The second means let us. As in "let's pretend" which is an abbreviation of "let us pretend". Or "let's play darts (not dart's) which means let us play darts. Comes from latin ( let us, not darts).

Did you spot the use of a comma when it was necessary ?

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 02 Mar 2018, 21:58

And never let us us down would look a bit daft.

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 02 Mar 2018, 22:50

Spanishtiger wrote:And never lets us down.
And never let's us down.

The first means that the guy doesn't ever let us down.

The second means let us. As in "let's pretend" which is an abbreviation of "let us pretend". Or "let's play darts (not dart's) which means let us play darts. Comes from latin ( let us, not darts).

Did you spot the use of a comma when it was necessary ?
No I know what you mean, but where did I use that in my article? :?

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 02 Mar 2018, 22:51

callum_walker wrote:I've got big respect for this player...always gives his all and never lets us down. https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 94753.html
I'm sorry, I've just realised. I posted this on my phone and autocorrect has lets to let's. I apologise

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 02 Mar 2018, 23:17

No bother Callum, I think we all enjoy your articles. Beware the seppos though mate, they can't spake English reet never mind write it.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 02 Mar 2018, 23:39

Anyway, Alex F’oster ;)
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 02 Mar 2018, 23:56

TBF you probably don't need autocorrect, myself and notts will happily correct any grammatical errors whilst the rest of the forum members will be happy to correct any statistical errors, incorrect transfer fee figures or who was the best Fijian scrum half etc.

Hudds will apologise (english spelling) for any mismanagement issues that may occur from time to time as well as giving handy hints on how to avoid going to the toilet. Lofthouse and Mysterio will rip into him as they see fit.

Gateman will probably ask why the under 19s journalist doesn't get a chance using RANDOM CAPITAL LETTERS whilst Jinjer is happy to advise everyone on how to get a new stadium built and the best place to stick your Wildcats flag.

So please don't take any criticism personally old mate !!!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 03 Mar 2018, 00:03

Spanishtiger wrote:(english spelling)
English.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 03 Mar 2018, 00:09

Live by the sword, die by the sword !!!!!

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 03 Mar 2018, 00:42

any road up just to cut through the crap I started predicting a great future for alex soon after he broke into the 1st team. not often I'm wrong but I'm right again. ;)
jo brand is eddie warings love child