Huddersfield away

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Huddersfield away

Post by cogito ergo sum » 09 Apr 2018, 09:35

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Thaler is ridiculous when he refs us. He is so quick to penalise us for every little thing we do. He has been like that for years. He isnt so keen with other teams.

Whilst some of the decisions are right his inconsistency is dire, especially when he refs us against Wigan and Leeds. I try not to blame the ref too often but just this last 2/3 years they get worse.
Penalty count 9-9.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 09 Apr 2018, 09:46

Thats as maybe but my point was how quick he is to penalise us but not the other team as quickly for the same thing.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 09 Apr 2018, 09:52

[tweet][/tweet]
cogito ergo sum wrote:
Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Thaler is ridiculous when he refs us. He is so quick to penalise us for every little thing we do. He has been like that for years. He isnt so keen with other teams.

Whilst some of the decisions are right his inconsistency is dire, especially when he refs us against Wigan and Leeds. I try not to blame the ref too often but just this last 2/3 years they get worse.
Penalty count 9-9.

Depends where about on the field he gives them.
Does he favour the opposition and penalises us in our own half, and penalises the opposition in our half which will put extra pressure on our line.

I agree with what’s been said about Milner, he does tend to mess about in the tackle far to long. Daryll needs a quiet word with him.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 09 Apr 2018, 10:29

heritage1926 wrote:8 games in to the season (for us) and im still yet to come away from a game happy. But 2 points is 2 points and up the board we go.

I will say one thing, Alex Foster just may be the best find we have made in the last decade. Some player is this lad. It's a shame players like Maher and Springer haven't got his heart and desire.
Mcshane and Foster picks for man of match for me. Foster is so impressive and versatile. Come on leaps and bounds. I didn't understand all the fuss last year but since he has bulked up he has been one if our best this year.

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 09 Apr 2018, 10:45

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Thats as maybe but my point was how quick he is to penalise us but not the other team as quickly for the same thing.

You mean like how he penalised huddersfield heavily in the first half and carded one of their players... which contributed heavily to it all being won by halftime.

That biased bar-steward!

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 09 Apr 2018, 11:00

The one penalty that disgusted me was when Murphy deliberately played the ball onto a Cas player (Roberts?) laying prone on the floor hoping(and succeeding) in getting a penalty. Of course Thaler fell for it. I thought this tactic was now outlawed by the RFL and that in fact it should have have been a penalty to us for 'unprofessional conduct'.
Other Thalerisms was the 'play-on' when the ball after being kicked hit a Cas player making no attempt and subsequently Hudds scored, never have and never will be a fan of Thaler. He put McShane on report after a Hudds player was injured in a tackle when he indicated the initial tackle was OK..... during the the treatment he consulted (????) the linesman and subsequently put McShane on report, then gave a penalty to Hudds. The last Hudds try immediately after kicking off after we had scored and re-gaining the ball, had Shenton going ballistic with him as McMeeken was impeded when jumping for the short kick off.

corvusxiii
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by corvusxiii » 09 Apr 2018, 11:01

Glad to see the heat dropping out of the Gadwin witch hunt. Don't see a lot of him though. Don't trust Thaler.....when... well when he's in possession of a whistle. He was Gansonesque yesterday. I wonder why the teams bothered to turn up considering everyone was there to see him.
Thought he was very poor against Huddersfield in the first half but that's what he's like. No feel but all rant.
To finish last in the Tour de France, first you must finish.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 09 Apr 2018, 11:08

Squaddie86 wrote:
Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Thats as maybe but my point was how quick he is to penalise us but not the other team as quickly for the same thing.

You mean like how he penalised huddersfield heavily in the first half and carded one of their players... which contributed heavily to it all being won by halftime.

That biased bar-steward!
We were the only two Cas fans in Huddersfield’s main stand yesterday (as far as I know) sitting with friends who are Giants Season Ticket holders. All the Giants fans were equally angry about all the help Thaler was giving Cas, particularly before half time.
It’s interesting occasionally to see things from the other side.As you would expect, loads of calls for offside and forwards passes. Just like we do!

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 09 Apr 2018, 12:30

For what it's worth, I don't believe there is any bias by any referee but by and large they have become less reliable. Whether this is down to a greater reliance upon the video ref or just plane incompetence is open to discussion. Recent events on the televised games seems to point to incompetence.

For many years now I've worked on the principal that, other than the recent glaring errors, it's hard to prove a ref is incapable unless there's an obvious bias in the penalty counts with one side receiving far more than the other.

On this basis I truly believe a ref will notice when the penalty is favouring one side and will then start to pick out little issues by the other team that may have been ignored previously in the game. Similarly a dropped ball suddenly becomes a ball steal and so on.

By the end of the game the penalty count is very often relatively even, disguising the why's and wherfore's.

I'd still rather be stood in the stands though and certainly don't envy the role.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 09 Apr 2018, 12:57

Currently reading Mal Reilly's book, and he makes interesting comments about the refs from his time, specifically Thompson and Clay. His view is that refs understood players and the game better, so gave leeway when appropriate, for example "getting even". But I've noticed that in 60 years of watching, the ref is crap depending on who is giving the opinion. The levels of scrutiny are sky - high, players "cheat" (and I fully agree with the comments about buying a penalty at the PTB, it happened in the Cats v Wigan game I think), and even the Sky team can't agree on decisions after watching it repeated in slow-mo.
I can't see why teams have a right to an even penalty count, and I can't agree that refs are actually bent, but they are human with an opinion based on a split second view, and every human in any situation has differing levels of competency.
Cut them some slack or take up the whistle.

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 09 Apr 2018, 16:06

Regarding penalty counts, most fans know all refs try to even it up at some point through the game. However if you're getting repeat penalties on tackle 1 on opposition line, its a world away from getting them on the last when you're under pressure in your own half.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 09 Apr 2018, 16:45

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 09 Apr 2018, 17:10

one other point, why were we playing in our home strip?

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 09 Apr 2018, 20:31

yorky wrote:one other point, why were we playing in our home strip?
It is about time all sides played in their main/ traditional colours unless there is a genuine colour clash. Seemed crazy on Easter Monday Wire playing in their black kit rather than their primrose and blue causing a clash with our strip when there is no need.

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 09 Apr 2018, 21:23

cogito ergo sum wrote:Currently reading Mal Reilly's book, and he makes interesting comments about the refs from his time, specifically Thompson and Clay. His view is that refs understood players and the game better, so gave leeway when appropriate, for example "getting even". But I've noticed that in 60 years of watching, the ref is crap depending on who is giving the opinion. The levels of scrutiny are sky - high, players "cheat" (and I fully agree with the comments about buying a penalty at the PTB, it happened in the Cats v Wigan game I think), and even the Sky team can't agree on decisions after watching it repeated in slow-mo.
I can't see why teams have a right to an even penalty count, and I can't agree that refs are actually bent, but they are human with an opinion based on a split second view, and every human in any situation has differing levels of competency.
Cut them some slack or take up the whistle.

:clap:

Agree with this.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 10 Apr 2018, 07:28

Sharlotiger wrote:
yorky wrote:one other point, why were we playing in our home strip?
It is about time all sides played in their main/ traditional colours unless there is a genuine colour clash. Seemed crazy on Easter Monday Wire playing in their black kit rather than their primrose and blue causing a clash with our strip when there is no need.
agree totally

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 10 Apr 2018, 13:15

Has anyone got a link to the highlights ? Can only find them on sky sports site and the video doesn't work.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 10 Apr 2018, 14:21

view super league show on I player
jo brand is eddie warings love child

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 10 Apr 2018, 17:14

Spanishtiger wrote:Has anyone got a link to the highlights ? Can only find them on sky sports site and the video doesn't work.
Website BBC sport/rugby league, follow link to Super League Show.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 10 Apr 2018, 18:38

Thanks for that.