Should webbo be dropped

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
onetiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Should webbo be dropped

Post by onetiger » 21 Apr 2018, 09:47

all you who are ready to slate webbo after one bad night
what about the other games were he as won games for cas
every single player as off days just give the guy a break will you
only one game counts in the season and thats in oct leeds proved that last season

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 21 Apr 2018, 10:12

Last year the right edge was pretty settled, Minikin Webster Mcmeeken Roberts. I don't think it's working swapping and changing during the game, we start with Wardle, then bring on Meeks, Then Wardle onto the left and Holmes in the middle. This can't help communication and consistency. Wardle even mentioned in a interview he would prefer to stay on one side because Gale and Roberts are different players. 4 one on one misses get made tonight it's a different story, Wigan didn't pressure us too much more than that. Hicks disgraceful. Webbo worst game in years. Roberts attacked the line once which is his strength. Poor all round.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 21 Apr 2018, 10:33

InTheKnow wrote:Dropped is the wrong word. Rested yes. Play Wardle at centre with Mcmeekan inside him. Pace and power on the right will do us no harm.

No its not. Massey was dropped for previous 1 or 2 games as his performances were not up to standard. DP said that himself.

So if that's the case so should JW. He was skinned by a very average Burgess twice

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 21 Apr 2018, 10:43

WallTiger wrote:We had too many players off their game tonight and were beaten by the better team but lets not forget we also had a short turnaround after a gruelling Easter programme in which we played 2 games in horrendous conditions. I’m therefore surprised Powell didn’t rotate the team a bit more.

Also whilst Hicks wasn’t great and was not the reason we lost his penalty against Webbo in the 1st half for interference on the last was laughable. He never changed his line and the pathetic Sky commentary team could only say he ‘accelerated’ and that’s why the penalty was given! So you can’t run fast now...seriously you couldn’t make this crap up sometimes. Is it a wonder the game is losing credibility.

Hold on before Easter we have played 2 games less than the rest of the teams, so thats no excuse

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 21 Apr 2018, 10:46

onetiger wrote:all you who are ready to slate webbo after one bad night
what about the other games were he as won games for cas
every single player as off days just give the guy a break will you
only one game counts in the season and thats in oct leeds proved that last season

Its DP who drops players for a poor performance as he's said before. So if thats the case then yes he should be dropped next week.

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 21 Apr 2018, 10:50

fords wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:Dropped is the wrong word. Rested yes. Play Wardle at centre with Mcmeekan inside him. Pace and power on the right will do us no harm.

No its not. Massey was dropped for previous 1 or 2 games as his performances were not up to standard. DP said that himself.

So if that's the case so should JW. He was skinned by a very average Burgess twice
Do you not just think on one of them he was off balance though. Burgess could have shoved over anybody if they were stood like that, I like Jake but think he probably needs a rest.

bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by bane73 » 21 Apr 2018, 10:56

Webbo needs resting his age is catching up to him... Fast. He's a titan when on form, last night, he played his worst game for us. The poor guy looked exhausted, I'm, sure he'll want to put it right next week. Start him off the bench and use him as an impact player.
what doesn't kill me simply makes me...stranger.

Morrissey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Morrissey » 21 Apr 2018, 11:02

Positives (clutching at straws a little!) :
Millo has the heart of a lion to carry on through that injury.
Matt Cook was about the only forward to have any ability to break the line.
Oliver Holmes put in a big shift.
Gary Lo had a decent debut and didn't let us down.
Jake Trueman is doing his best, and although not the finished article - as an 18 year old playing out of position he has done pretty well.

Negatives:
-Robert Hicks was an embarrassment and carried on where he left off against Warrington.
-Jake Webster had a shocker. I'm surprised we've not rested him before to be honest with his injury record. I'd have thought Egodo may have got a game against Catalans to be truthful.
-Our kicking game, or lack of one.
-Adam Milner's "discipline" - I've never seen a Cas player give away more daft penalties. Good player but a liability.
-We looked shattered - every tackle in defence we had late retreats leaving gaps in the defensive line. Their big guys seemed to get their heads through the tackle while we didn't look threatening at all. They had two days extra recovery on us, but still disappointing.
-It's the first game I've watched on Sky this season and the standard of commentary and reporting is awful and amateurish. The way the rules are explained, interpreted and analysed while referees are excused and validated is just pathetic. Desperately needs a shake up - I can't remember in years gone by officials and referees being such features within the game. Stuart Cummings as a full time apologist makes me glad I don't have a subscription to contribute to the living he is stealing.

Not time to throw the towel in just yet as we have a huge amount of improvement in us. Last season taught us how it doesn't matter what happens at this point (66-10 victories in March meant nothing come October!) but we have shown glimpses that we could compete. We've just got to take these games on the chin and learn. I hope we get Jesse and Junior back soon as I feel JSL's energy and enthusiasm is what we need when the rest of the forwards look lethargic.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 21 Apr 2018, 12:03

The referee was terrible though not the reason we lost,but i've heard Chris Kendall was down to be ref last night. Any reason given on the switch?

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 21 Apr 2018, 12:57

Worst game I’ve seen Jake play, but it’s a one off. Maybe the heavy pitches have taken their toll a little over the last month and he was a little fatigued. There is no way I’d be going into a home game against Wakey without him though if he is fit and ready to go. We all have an off day sometimes, so for all the good he’s done I’ll forgive him one bad one. One of those nights, Gales kicking game was rubbish - too deep and not high enough, my dog would have caught most of em no problem. Silly penalties again from Milner, errors turning the ball over at crucial times, Shenny having hands like cows teets, every 50/50 going against us. But yet we still stayed in the arm wrestle and never gave up. In days gone by heads would have dropped and we’d have had 60 put on us last night, but the lads still dug in and competed till the end. For what its worth, I don’t think we deserved that last try against us, I thought Wigan were 2 scores better than us at the most. I am still confident for the season, I think there is so much more to come from this team and nowts won in April, we are still in a good spot. To top the night off for me though, after being stuck on the M6 for 3 and a half hours to get there it was closed again on the way home. The joys of Friday night games the wrong side of the penines :evil:

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 21 Apr 2018, 14:38

Yes Jake had a horror show on the night and hope it's just a blip as Burgess handed him off easily for first try (which can happen if you are at an unbalanced part of working to block him) but the most worrying was when Burgess run around him for his run to put Gildart in second half which begs the question as to whether father time is catching up on his speed and agility - Will need to monitor this in coming months however coaching staff should be measuring and monitoring this for signs of slowdown.

Don't forget that Jake had a bad injury a couple of seasons ago and wear and tear coupled with aging is a factor but Webbo at his best is someone you would not want to be without - let's see how he musters up in the coming months.

On the game, we had Massey injured and Millington not fully powered up, mistakes by Jake and we all know of the penalties given away, so it's not something that can't be fixed and if you couple this with JSL,JM and Eden awaiting to return, I think we will be in a good place later.

If Jake is indeed showing signs of slowing, would like to see Trueman moved into the backs with some re-jigging but it still doesn't answer the full back position which is becoming important I think to sort out sooner rather than later.

scottiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by scottiger » 21 Apr 2018, 15:40

westerbeast wrote:Webster was shocking, too old and needs to call it a day after this season. The whole team was pretty shocking. Liam Watts was shocking, did Shenton and Roberts play tonight ?.Dear oh dear can't see us winning anything this Year to be honest.
He had an off night . To say he's past it after one poor game is a joke . He's been one of the most consistent players last few years . Give him a rest.
TM Out

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 21 Apr 2018, 15:45

Thought I'd give you my take on the game and whether webbo should be dropped: https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 21265.html

alcasfan
League One Player
League One Player
Location: LS25 About as far from LEEDS as you can get with an LS code - Thank God!

Post by alcasfan » 21 Apr 2018, 18:23

No.

He will turn it round against Shakey wakey.
"Castleford's biggest home crowd of the 1991-1992 season wasn't quite 12,000 while on average they'd sit around 6000 but the noise, the chanting and the singing just blows you away" - Tawera Nikau "Standing Tall"

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 22 Apr 2018, 09:00

tallguyx wrote:
fords wrote:

Do you not just think on one of them he was off balance though. Burgess could have shoved over anybody if they were stood like that, I like Jake but think he probably needs a rest.
Might have been, he was poor all game. The bloke to 35 or whatever and played every week on heavy going pitches. He needs a rest its simple to see.

Play Wardle at right centre, we have enough 2nd rowers to play in 4 teams. So its going to do us no harm but will in fact due us some good later down the track.

chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 22 Apr 2018, 09:16

I'm not normally one to slate referees but omg . Hicks didn't ref that game o Laughlin and scrote face did. Missed knock ons, blatant milking of penalties, overturning decisions when being told to by said 2 and where the hell did he get a penalty when Truman jumped for the ball with tomkins? Just because he threw the teddy out and threw the ball at Truman hicks decided it must be a penalty cos poor little Sam might be hurt. And don't even get me started on the penalty against webbo. Oh he accelerated that's why it's a penalty. Jesus!!!!!!! Ok rant over. I don't think we were good enough to win on Friday but they didn't need a helping hand. And I think the final score flattered them some what.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 22 Apr 2018, 09:33

chesterfieldtiger wrote:I'm not normally one to slate referees but omg . Hicks didn't ref that game o Laughlin and scrote face did. Missed knock ons, blatant milking of penalties, overturning decisions when being told to by said 2 and where the hell did he get a penalty when Truman jumped for the ball with tomkins? Just because he threw the teddy out and threw the ball at Truman hicks decided it must be a penalty cos poor little Sam might be hurt. And don't even get me started on the penalty against webbo. Oh he accelerated that's why it's a penalty. Jesus!!!!!!! Ok rant over. I don't think we were good enough to win on Friday but they didn't need a helping hand. And I think the final score flattered them some what.
Webster didnt do anything but walk in a straight line. Hicks is a top class pr*ck and has no idea about the game.

As for rat boy, dont even go there

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Apr 2018, 09:41

You also had watts being tipped in a tackle , a swinging arm from sol i think it was that he was happy to let go till the video ref had a word while the player was down , if the r.l are happy to keep giving games to people who are barely up to refing a game somewhere on a park on a saturday afternoon this is what your going to get
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 22 Apr 2018, 10:24

Don’t forget the swinging arm that took oli Holmes out while in the process of scoring.
Not sure who the dirty Wigan player was but oli stayed down then got up holding his nose.
Hicks is a liability and the well being of players by him is a disgrace.

chesterfieldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chesterfieldtiger » 22 Apr 2018, 11:19

Think it was that bit again